men in yoga class....

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am, this is my cardio exercises :)

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right? Resistance training seems to describe it better, I think.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    I like yoga class.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    mY3XU1W.jpg
    Where the heck is that foot coming from on that girl's back on the right????

The pic is too big for the MFP forums. If you right click the image and "view image" you will see it all! :)
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I have done Yoga, and will go back to it, hopefully before I seize up, and am unable to move! I have no idea how many other people were in the class, let alone how many were men!

Oh, and I do the following:

I laugh (at my shocking lack of flexibility)

I fart if I need to (Or else I'll explode!)

Most important, I DO take it seriously when I go despite all the above

I do NOT wear yoga pants. Come on, even I'M not THAT cruel!

Oh, and I am really bad, but have not fell over.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Whale Tail PLUS Exercise and Relaxation? It's a win win win
  • taunto
    Options
    btw, allow me to give a serious reply.

In the ancient times before the hipsters got hold of yoga, the original "yogi" were almost all men. They were travelling saints and worshippers and they used to do "tricks" to get food money from the villages they'll come across. Because they would eat very little and walk a lot, they have extremely low weight, allowing them to do things such as laying on a needled bed etc. These were almost all men. Almost none of the things done in modern yoga classes is actually yoga.

So when you call men in yoga class gay or creepy, keep in mind that technically, yoga belongs to men and not women. Thats besides the point that you are making some activity limited to only 1 gender which is wrong.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Why would it be weird? RDJ does it.
    robert-downy-jr-300x204.jpg
  • bumblebums
    bumblebums Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    btw, allow me to give a serious reply.

In the ancient times before the hipsters got hold of yoga, the original "yogi" were almost all men. They were travelling saints and worshippers and they used to do "tricks" to get food money from the villages they'll come across. Because they would eat very little and walk a lot, they have extremely low weight, allowing them to do things such as laying on a needled bed etc. These were almost all men. Almost none of the things done in modern yoga classes is actually yoga.

So when you call men in yoga class gay or creepy, keep in mind that technically, yoga belongs to men and not women. Thats besides the point that you are making some activity limited to only 1 gender which is wrong.

You're right, taunto. You know who yoga really belongs to? Bikram Choudhury.
    Now go back in the kitchen and think about what you just did while cleaning the house!

Classy.
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    Tier3-Diet-YummyManDoingYoga.jpg

I'll take 2.

Would go to yoga class with him anyday XD
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    mY3XU1W.jpg

Untitled-2-504241_280x187.png
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    mY3XU1W.jpg

The pic is too big for the MFP forums. If you right click the image and "view image" you will see it all! :)

2 feet...wth..
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right?
    No. And that explains why you don't "get" yoga. You don't know what it is.
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options
    Funny how women assume men that do yoga have six packs, are in shape, and look like the cover of some cheesey romance novel or fifty shades

this is what the reality looks like ladies:
    dying-fat-man-yoga-pic.jpg
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    yeah, i'm not the only one who loses my balance in yoga.... right?

You're right *blush*
  • taunto
    Options

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Ok...ok...So its not as uncommon as i thought, i love in a fault small city with more of an older view of things, but here is why i was considering yoga and i would appreciate your feedback on this as well. I am a diabetic with chronic pancreatitis and have had several surgeries in the belly and just above the hip area...i also have plantars fasciitis...as a sports official i have a lot of foot pain, shin splints and general muscle aches....

My thought was this would help with muscle pain as i would be more flexible and would have stretched many muscles through class....

<<<T2D here.
    I've had chronic upper quadrant belly pain and PF as well. Nothing, NOTHING helped the way yoga did.
    I also had issues with slow gastric emptying that got much better with certain poses. Downward doggie is great for PF & child's pose helped with my digestion issues. A couple of 'flows' that included these poses was all it took to get things feeling good. When I stop my practice for a few months, everything tightens up again and the same maladies come back. Especially the PF, tight calves, quads and hammies are the pits :frown:

If you feel funky about it, why not do it at home? There are a great deal of free yoga instruction on the 'net. Once you feel more comfortable and confident, you can go to a class. ORRRRRrrrrr you could go to a yoga studio. These folks are very serious about their yoga practice and know how to engage their Mula Bandhas effectively :laugh:

http://www.yogadownload.com/
    http://www.myyogaonline.com/ (my personal fave)
  • jetlag
    jetlag Posts: 800 Member
    Options

Oh. My. God.

Please tell me you're kidding.

And FWIW, I've been doing yoga for 20 years, with various instructors, and there are always men in the classes.
  • rml_16
    Options

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.
    I burn about 200 calories in an hour of intense vinyasa flow yoga. I have read you can burn 600 an hour, but I don't know who's making that stat up.

It IS intense and effective and a wonderful exercise in many ways. It doesn't burn a lot of calories, though.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    mY3XU1W.jpg

2 feet...wth..

The person with their feet on the down dog back is doing a half handstand - you can line up a bunch of people in an acrobatic type yoga pose.
  • rml_16
    Options
    and look like the cover of some cheesey romance novel or fifty shades

They assume the men look like a grey tie? :laugh:

(P.S. That is a HORRIBLE book.)