men in yoga class....

Options

Replies

• Event_Horizon975
    Event_Horizon975 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of the opposite on this. I'm a woman and have never liked yoga.
    I box. Boxing brings me balance. Ohhhmmmm.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I am, this is my cardio exercises :)

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right?

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.

I did not know that. I was thinking it was more like Pilates where you do different poses and hold your body in that position. That's interesting that they've added cardio to it.
    There is no cardio element to yoga except in cases where you might move quickly between poses.

However, try holding even the simplest yoga pose for 30 seconds and get back to me about it being "just about meditation and holding a pose." It ain't easy and it is very effective.

Better posture and flexibility help you have better workouts with other exercises that don't work on those things. Yoga is a wonderful addition to any routine.

I wasn't trying to imply that it was "easy." I'm sure I would have a very difficult time with it if I tried.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You should try one of my classes. I can guarantee popping in and out of handstands and transitioning to arm balances will get your heart rate up and into the 'cardio zone.' And I have TONS of guys taking my classes. They are awesome :-)

Yes it gets into the cardio zone, but doesn't stay there for a sustained amount of time the way other cardio workouts do. It just simply isn't a cardio workout. I don't know why it needs to be. It has its own purpose.

I would not take advice from anyone who thinks that getting one's heart rate up gets one into the "cardio zone".

Yoga is many things, it is many beneficial things, but it is not a cardiovascular (aerobic) workout. The only part of a class that comes close to an aerobic workout is sun salutations, and even then, the total caloric expenditure is not unlike an equivalent amount of leisurely walking. A teacher should really take more interest in learning about his or her subject.

I was making a point that you get your heart rate up. Not all yoga is just sun salutation/gentle stretching. And, having not only worn a HRM in other hot yoga classes that I take that are level 2/3 and having numerous clients wearing them, some of my clients burn 300 to 400 calories in a class (more than a leisurely walk).

I can assure you I am well educated on my subject. Thanks for the input. :flowerforyou:
    Actually, no, you're not. The increased HR and HRM readings in hot yoga classes have been proven in several studies to be inaccurate and grossly overestimated. The increased heat increases HR, but not actual calorie burn. The HRM only measures HR and not other important factors.

You do get your HR up. It is not a sustained increase and the calorie burn is low. It is not a cardiovascular exercise.

Lol. You're right. What was I thinking saying you get your heart rate up? (I never said that it was the equivalent of running and that you should trade out your cardio for yoga. I was just saying that we get our heart rate up and in the 'cardio zone' and trying to make the point that it's not just gentle stretching/meditation and that guys actually do it).

Forgive me for being so ignorant. :happy:
    Well, your response was directly to me and at no point did I say you DON'T get your HR up. I simply said it isn't sustained and it isn't a cardio workout. So I fail to see the point of your first post, since you seemed to somehow be disagreeing with me when apparently you were actually agreeing with me?

Still, your assertion that people are burning 400 calories in an hour of hot yoga is not correct. I know it appears that way with a HR monitor, but the HR monitor, in that case, in incorrect.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I am, this is my cardio exercises :)

Is yoga considered cardio? You are just sitting there and meditating, right?

Modern yoga is extremely intense and you burn a decent bit of calories and earn flexibility for your body.

I did not know that. I was thinking it was more like Pilates where you do different poses and hold your body in that position. That's interesting that they've added cardio to it.
    There is no cardio element to yoga except in cases where you might move quickly between poses.

However, try holding even the simplest yoga pose for 30 seconds and get back to me about it being "just about meditation and holding a pose." It ain't easy and it is very effective.

Better posture and flexibility help you have better workouts with other exercises that don't work on those things. Yoga is a wonderful addition to any routine.

You should try one of my classes. I can guarantee popping in and out of handstands and transitioning to arm balances will get your heart rate up and into the 'cardio zone.' And I have TONS of guys taking my classes. They are awesome :-)

Thanks for the "invite," but it still does not sound like fun. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Yes it gets into the cardio zone, but doesn't stay there for a sustained amount of time the way other cardio workouts do. It just simply isn't a cardio workout. I don't know why it needs to be. It has its own purpose.

I'm glad someone who knows more than me about yoga understands my confusion around calling it cardio.
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    There is a man in my Body Balance class (google if you don't know what that is). I don't think I've ever thought of it as weird or anything.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    I wish that my husband would go, but he feels too self conscious.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    I was taking yoga 3 days a week and was one of the few men in yoga class. oh well, doesn't bother me.

This is one of the SMARTEST things a man could do (apart from the whole Zen, physical health aspect) to improve his situation!! Great odds!

True. I do have a fused L5/S1 so it helped a ton with flexibility and my lower back pain.
  • rml_16
    Options

I'm glad someone who knows more than me about yoga understands my confusion around calling it cardio.
    :smile:

I still say you should try it at least once before deciding you don't want to do it, though. You really do feel amazing after. And if you hate it, you don't go back.

But if you DO try, let the instructor know you're a newbie.
  • BaackOnIt
    BaackOnIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I think this is a silly question. It's 2013. Men and women can and do, do the same things. There are no gender specific defined sports anymore. I can do what he can do. He can do what I can do. End of story.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options

I do yoga more for the practice than the exercise.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Less manly.... of course...

than what?

These guys look pretty manly. I don't know who they are, some type of ninja soldiers?

foto-prikolas-077_1.jpg
  • Vince_1964
    Vince_1964 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Been considering giving it a try myself ... I enjoy the P90X Yoga workout (and it is a "soaker" of a workout for 90 minutes). So, I've been looking into some of the local places here too - Bikram (hot) yoga - which has been described as personal torture and some others.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Less manly.... of course...

than what?

These guys look pretty manly. I don't know who they are, some type of ninja soldiers?

foto-prikolas-077_1.jpg
    So, um, men in cammo and war paint acting all manly and stuff ... I think the rest of my day is shot while I stare at this picture.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Yoga class - sure.
    Yoga pants - HELL NO!

:angry:

So, from this I'm to assume you feel men in yoga pants is a good idea

Some men look good in yoga pants.

93ae06f71f70e410b26f0bd71681be1f.jpg
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I always have guys in my yoga classes; I don't think anything of it.

A flexible guy = sounds fun to me!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:smile:

I still say you should try it at least once before deciding you don't want to do it, though. You really do feel amazing after. And if you hate it, you don't go back.

But if you DO try, let the instructor know you're a newbie.

Well if I find a free class somewhere, I may consider it. :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I think this is a silly question. It's 2013. Men and women can and do, do the same things. There are no gender specific defined sports anymore. I can do what he can do. He can do what I can do. End of story.

:drinker:
  • CookNLift
    CookNLift Posts: 3,660 Member
    Options

Can you pee in any direction, specifically horizontally? Or pee with ease standing up?

False.

Men can't physically give birth....except for that freaky incident a couple years ago **shiver**
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

Some men look good in yoga pants.

93ae06f71f70e410b26f0bd71681be1f.jpg

It's settled, Yoga will forever remain a mysterious activity that other people (besides me) do...