Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fasting?

Options

Replies

• alexa0ne
    alexa0ne Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I did an intermittent fasting for about a month and I must say that it really is effective as I lose 10lbs.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    If it works for people to help get them into a deficit, great. I personally don't do it. I love my breakfast as soon as I wake up in the morning. Also I have tried training fasted (both cardio and lifting) and it was not good for me. I was dizzy, felt weak, headache, growling stomach, so distracted since all I could think about was food. My performance was shot. So.. not for me.
  • crimsontech
    crimsontech Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    duskyjewel wrote: »
    angel7747 wrote: »
    Here they come! I LOVE that you all got THAT out of my post. Its like talking to a damn wall. I didnt miss that post...no where in there do I see that she said it "CURES CANCER." OR did YOU miss that post? Prevent Cancer...a process that we can control can contribute to cancer...these arent new ideas that what you put in your body can contribute to cancer...and its no secret that by avoiding things could prevent it. Again, please tell me what I missed?
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    That is a false statement. The benefits are numerous and there studies and research to prove it, which include weight loss, reducing inflammation, increasing muscle, reducing/eliminating type 2 diabetes, preventing cancer and alzheimers, to name a few. The 2016 Nobel Prize for Medicine went to a person that identified the process of Autophagy, which happens during a fasted-state. It's the process of your body cleaning out cellular junk and broken down proteins. Also, you were probably hungry because you were consuming something that released insulin and triggered digestion. It could have even been lemon in your water.

These are doctrinaire statements asserted as if fact.

I do have research and studies that back those claims up but those were dismissed as false, woo, or quack here.

Fung is frequently dismissed as a quack, because.... he is. Here are some great articles discussing the holes in his theories and statements:

https://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2015/04/24/what-the-fung/

https://www.diabetes-warrior.net/2015/04/20/fung-us-among-us/

https://www.myoleanfitness.com/evidence-caloric-restriction/

If you actually read those articles, you will see that the writer also advocates FOR intermittent fasting. He may not agree with how Dr. Fung got to the conclusion, but he does agree on the conclusion that a low-carb, intermittent fasting diet is best for those with Insulin Resistance.

What I don't agree with, however, is that the writer on Diabetes Warrior claims that "high blood sugar" is the root cause of the problem. But high blood sugar doesn't happen on its own. It is caused, and therefore can not, in itself, be a "root cause". He needs to go one step deeper into the cause of the high blood sugar. Is it a high sugar/carb diet? Is it a defect in certain peoples' metabolic systems? He didn't go into that and should have.
  • Strongfitmama100412
    Strongfitmama100412 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Fasting doesnt cleanse and there is not need to cleanse. Just dont eat crap and your kidneys and liver do it on their own.

Fasting I dont get. I cant workout on an empty stomach. Those who fast cram food in a little window. Still eating same amount of calories. I would rather space it out when im awake.

I need fuel. I stop eating dinner 6pm and dont eat again until 6-7am. So im sleeping through it.

Eat real foods. Portion control. I think of food as fuel and medicine for my body.
    Fruit,veggies, protein, dairy, healthy fat and whole grains. Each meal balanced.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Fasting doesnt cleanse and there is not need to cleanse. Just dont eat crap and your kidneys and liver do it on their own.

Fasting I dont get. I cant workout on an empty stomach. Those who fast cram food in a little window. Still eating same amount of calories. I would rather space it out when im awake.

I need fuel. I stop eating dinner 6pm and dont eat again until 6-7am. So im sleeping through it.

Eat real foods. Portion control. I think of food as fuel and medicine for my body.
    Fruit,veggies, protein, dairy, healthy fat and whole grains. Each meal balanced.

I fast and have done so all my life. most days its 16:8(yesterday it was a lot less than that) but other days its 18:6. I eat throughout my window of time. I dont eat very large meals or cram it in. if you stop eating dinner at 6 and dont eat until 6-7 then in a sense that is fasting too by definition. most of the time I cannot eat very big meals or I bloat and feel awful. which is why I eat throughout the day and get my calories in during that window of time.I work out in the evening when I have the most energy. I cant do a fasted workout either unless its walking.
  • dsboohead
    dsboohead Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    My cat fasts all day. He eats first thing in the morning and last thing before bed.
    He is a slim cat so it works for him......me on the other hand. ;)
  • violasmith85
    violasmith85 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Works for me. I do 23:1. I eat only once a day. I eat a big meal, usually 1k-1.5k calories. Drink water and coffee the rest of the day. Works for me because I dont snack my way to maintenance or more. I can eat what I want as well. Not for everyone.