Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fasting?

Options

Replies

• johnslater461
    johnslater461 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Studies do show that intermittent fasting improves your blood pressure, cholesterol levels and your insulin sensitivity. When you fast your body can’t get it’s energy from food so it uses your glucose which is found in your liver and muscles, that process usually happens around 8 hours after your last meal. When that stores glucose has been used up the body then starts to burn fat to get its energy which is why you lose weight. I 110% think that fasting is a great way to lose weight and works well

Please link these studies, that show these benefits.

Dr Michael Mosley who wrote the “The Fast Diet” book has quoted said studies, I wouldn’t know which particular ones he is referring too but I trust his statement, it scientifically makes sense as well

So None. Got it.

"I know a guy I trust and he has the studies" just doesn't carry the water.

It’s science .. fasting works .. there’s literally nothing you can really say against it is there?

Citation needed
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    erinpatsy wrote: »
    Studies do show that intermittent fasting improves your blood pressure, cholesterol levels and your insulin sensitivity. When you fast your body can’t get it’s energy from food so it uses your glucose which is found in your liver and muscles, that process usually happens around 8 hours after your last meal. When that stores glucose has been used up the body then starts to burn fat to get its energy which is why you lose weight.
    It’s science .. fasting works .. there’s literally nothing you can really say against it is there?

Your claim is that Fasting causes weight/fat loss regardless of deficit.

That's contrary to established science. SO, I want a reference so I can see for myself.

But I have witnessed people who are fasting lose weight, I see for myself just how much it does for them

Yea, starving yourself will do that, nobody is arguing that. But decreasing your calories, eating right, and upping your exercise will too, in a healthy way.

Fasting is seen as healthy as it does improve blood pressure etc, it’s just another route to losing weight

So it's weight loss that causes all those benefits. NOT fasting?
    Studies do show that intermittent fasting improves your blood pressure, cholesterol levels and your insulin sensitivity. When you fast your body can’t get it’s energy from food so it uses your glucose which is found in your liver and muscles, that process usually happens around 8 hours after your last meal. When that stores glucose has been used up the body then starts to burn fat to get its energy which is why you lose weight.

Just want to be clear, because you said that it's FASTING that causes those benefits.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    erinpatsy wrote: »

Your claim is that Fasting causes weight/fat loss regardless of deficit.

That's contrary to established science. SO, I want a reference so I can see for myself.

But I have witnessed people who are fasting lose weight, I see for myself just how much it does for them

Yea, starving yourself will do that, nobody is arguing that. But decreasing your calories, eating right, and upping your exercise will too, in a healthy way.

Fasting is seen as healthy as it does improve blood pressure etc, it’s just another route to losing weight

So it's weight loss that causes all those benefits. NOT fasting?

Just want to be clear, because you said that it's FASTING that causes those benefits.

Yes, fasting causes the weight loss ..

Only if you're consuming less calories than you burn.

Fasting itself doesn't cause anything other than "causing" you to eat or not eat at certain times of the day. You lose weight via calorie deficit, however that is accomplished. The calories are what matter, not what time you eat them.

Fasting causes your body to burn fat because it’s used up all of its energy supply, this is what aids the weight loss, that and keeping to a healthy diet

Honestly, if you are not well versed on the physiology, it's probably best not to make these kind of blanket statements.

But it’s not a false statement, it’s just how the body works when someone is fasting

It has a shade of truth mixed with a lot of misunderstanding. You admittedly are not familiar with the research and the science. So, why keep doubling down with vague blanket statements. You will only draw questions from those that are more knowledgeable that you are unequipped to answer.