Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fasting?

Options

Replies

• fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I use it as away to make the meals I do eat larger, but overall it's not a strategy that works for me on a regular basis.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    While I understand what everyone is saying I do often think that maybe there’s more to how our bodies work that just CI/CO. Of course I 100% agree and believe that a person needs to creat a deficit to lose weight generally speaking. I do also think there are cases where other factors ( maybe heredity idk) come into play. My husband for example is 6ft 7. He weighs 155lbs. He always has. He is extremely sedentary. Can not stress this enough. He will not work out, will not go for walks, if we take the kids to the pool he lays in a lounge chair the whole time. He eats like a horse all the time. I mean he eats constantly. He’lol pound 3 big Mack’s at a time plus fries plus chicken tenders, then come home and eat again. Whatever I cook, he’ll easily eat 4 of five servings. He drinks a 12 pack of coke a day. Also, plenty of beer. Won’t eat healthy stuff. I kid you not he will not gain a pound ever. As long as I have known him he’s weighed the exact same. A lot of people have joked around that when his metabolism catches up that will change, we’re knocking on our fourties now. His father is the same way, his grandfather is the same way. To watch them eat is like watching a binge eating competition. They are all bean poles when by all accounts they should easily 400 pounds. I don’t understand how that can happen.

does your hubby have a very active job where hes on the go all the time? if he is that tall and is that thin(hes severely underweight) its possible he could have an overactive thyroid(or other health issue thats may have not shown any other smptoms). I had friends like that and my daughter had a friend like that and once she found out she had a thyroid issue she was put on meds and started gaining. genetics have really nothing to do with if you will be thin or not(but they say thyroid issues can be genetic).

if that were the case I would have never became obese. both my parents and both sets of grandparents were of a healthy weight their whole life. none of them battled with their weight or went on diets. 4 out of 5 of us girls got fat.even the ones with different dads,their dads were all tall and thin as were their parents. its because we all got sedentary (we were all active as kids and younger adults) and ate more than our bodies burned. I was of a healthy weight until about 32 then it went downhill from there. I gained weight over the years. as for working out that has no bearing on weight loss,weight is lost eating less than your body burns.

No, he has a sedentary job as well. He has had his thryroid tested, that’s normal. Matter of fact, I’m the one with the thyroid issues. Doctors have no explaination for why he can’t put on weight. Like I said he refuses to work out and try and bulk up. I don’t mind. I’m just saying that some times there are unknown factors. He honestly eats easily 5 to 6 thousand calories a day.

you do know that thyroid issues can show up as normal on blood tests sometimes right? my daughter(has hypothyroid) had an elevated one with her Gp who referred her to the endocrinologist. for almost 2 years ,every 3 months she had to be seen and have blood tests run. she still does(this is with the second endo. the first one did NO tests). for almost 2 years her levels when tested were coming up normal.it wasnt until almost the end of the 2nd year that it finally showed abnormal levels,a year later they still are abnormal even with meds. they told her its whats called fluctuating thryoid. some people can fluctuate from hyper to hypo or vice versa.so when he is tested he may have normal levels.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    erinpatsy wrote: »
    IF helps with calorie restriction only. It has no specific health benefits. If you log your intake adequently and exercise, and you’re at or below your daily calories, IF isn’t needed. I tried IF (16:8 ratio) awhile back and I found I was eating MORE later because I felt famished. Eating 3 times a day has eliminated that.

That is a false statement. The benefits are numerous and there studies and research to prove it, which include weight loss, reducing inflammation, increasing muscle, reducing/eliminating type 2 diabetes, preventing cancer and alzheimers, to name a few. The 2016 Nobel Prize for Medicine went to a person that identified the process of Autophagy, which happens during a fasted-state. It's the process of your body cleaning out cellular junk and broken down proteins. Also, you were probably hungry because you were consuming something that released insulin and triggered digestion. It could have even been lemon in your water.

I actually think this is more of a false statement. you can't outrun thermodynamics. 2500 cals in your eating window is 2500 cals regardless. also autophogy and sparked more so by extended caloric restriction and deprivation, not fasting. if fasting helps you to create a deficit, then yes, its helping, but not causing. I would love to see those studies that prove it from credible legit sources. because I have credible proven meta analysis studies and articles on hand to negate a "10 person study" or a bodybuilding .com article.....
    fasting does not promote weightless, caloric deficits do. I've been a test subject myself just to disprove people.

The one time I looked for autophagy after people touted it as this amazing thing that's going to save your life thanks to fasting, I have not found any sources besides, I think, studies done in worms. That's also a problem.

I don't think you looked very hard. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106288/

From your link: "Our data lead us to speculate that sporadic fasting might represent a simple, safe and inexpensive means to promote this potentially therapeutic neuronal response."

Even the study authors don't think they've demonstrated what you seem to claim they have. They're just speculating.

And the study doesn't demonstrate anything about beneficial effects of autophagy, just suggests the speculation that "sporadic fasting" could enable neuronal autophagy, contrary to current "dogma" ("dogma" = widely held opinions that you disagree with). Also, unless they have their own special definition of "sporadic," even their "speculation" doesn't support IF on a regular, daily basis ("regular, daily" is not "sporadic" (occasional, irregular).

As I've replied to other posters, the studies are relatively new (within the last 10 years). They have to start somewhere but their "speculations" are pretty promising. And, I posted one example that was easily found. It's not the only information out there. I'm not sure where your dogma comment is coming from but if it's because I'm discussing ideas that go against the grain, then okay. I prefer to be inspired by ideas that may prevent cancer and alzheimers - we aren't successfully winning that battle yet.

On a personal note, I've done CI/CO for nearly 2 decades. I'm 40 now and had my last baby at 38 and it is NOT working for me. I've logged in every day since January and I am personally not having success. I am trying something else and have been keeping my "friends" updated.

what do you mean when you say CICO doesn't work for you? you believe you are eating at a calorie SURPLUS now and losing weight????

I'm saying that the traditional method of calorie counting and restriction isn't working for me. My hope is that my body starts using its energy differently. BUT I don't intend to consume carte blanche either.

That's like saying I hope my car starts running on water instead of gasoline.

The human body has established metabolic pathways. Physiology is what it is. Changing what time you eat doesn't somehow alter your metabolic pathways or change your physiology and magically make your body do something it isn't made to do, despite whatever woo Fung and his ilk might dream up.

That's not helpful at all and thank you for nit-picking my conversations. I am using a method that will allow me to burn fat for energy after it has depleted it's immediate energy store from food. I guess the joke is on me when I'm starving and still overweight. Why don't you explain "established metabolic pathways" and the corresponding physiology? And maybe provide articles outside of weightlifting online.

So you're not eating for X hours, in that time your body will indeed use it's stores to make up for the energy missing.
    Where your train of thought ends is what happens when you do eat again. You're eating a whole day's worth of food in a short time span. Far more than you'd usually eat.
    By your insulin theory, that leads to a long spike in insulin and fat gain.
    In reality, it's simply at that moment a calorie surplus, excess gets stores and in need used again. It's literally not any different than depositing 1000 bucks into your bank account in one go at the end of the month vs. In 10 dollar increments. I.e. no difference whatsoever in the long run.

I have to put this thread down for the rest of the work day but I will certainly come back. However, you are incorrect in assessing my eating habits. I have actually found that I have more control when I eat and that I am craving better quality foods. Is it just a mental magic trick? Maybe. BUT I do not feel that I'm overeating and I can tell you that my clothes fit a little looser and I have had little to no bloating in two weeks, which is a completely new experience for me. Maybe my deposit schedule is different because I might put in 8 dollars one day and 18 the next. It's not the same.

curious - why when you keep saying that this is all very new to you and that you are not an expert, do you also seem so sure that you are right about everything???

Curious - are you looking to have a real discussion or mock someone who is doing something different? In saying that Intermittent Fasting is relatively new to me, I am saying that I don't claim to be the expert and/or be "right about everything". Seems to me that there are quite a few trolls that want to belittle others for entertaining ideas outside the status quo.

I think it's being asked because it seems like you are being very dogmatic about some claims while at the same time proclaiming you are new to learning about this and not an expert. It's a somewhat confusing combination.

I would expect someone who knew they were still learning to be more open to the possibility they could be wrong.

The orginal post asked how one feels about intermittent fasting. I explained what the benefits and nuances are as I understand them. I cited multiple sources. I did not accuse anyone of being wrong by stating that the current methodology is not working for me. What I don't want to engage in is a who's right and who's wrong debate, which is exactly where many of your reaponses have gone. I'm more than willing to continue to expand my ideas and read more. I also welcome you to follow my journey. Hope that clears up the confusion.

if losing weight not doing IF is not working for you then something else is at play. because CICO works for everyone fasting or not. the difference is people with health issues their calories in may need to be less than what MFP or any other calculator gives them.I have a health issues and MFP gives me 2100-2200 to maintain. Im maintaining on 1900 average. it gives me a BMR of 1400-1500 . my BMR with years of data,I have kept is 1272. so for me I have to eat an additional 200-300 calories less than what all the calculators and sites give me.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    angel7747 wrote: »
    I dont know how to respond to each of you personally..But Duskyjewel, in my post I no where brought up what your comment was about. I am not an expert on IF..nor am I guessing you are. If it works for people then it works. If it doesnt then it doesnt. I saw your previous comment that it has been debunked by reputable scientists...do you care to provide a link to that so I dont just take what you are saying as doctrinaire statements asserted as facts? For as many people say it works..just as many dont. I really dont have the time to go back and forth as it is clear you all could go all day.

Use the quote button under the post you wish to respond to.