Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

How do you feel about fasting?

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    LeeshaSeal wrote: »
    angel7747 wrote: »
    I dont know how to respond to each of you personally..But Duskyjewel, in my post I no where brought up what your comment was about. I am not an expert on IF..nor am I guessing you are. If it works for people then it works. If it doesnt then it doesnt. I saw your previous comment that it has been debunked by reputable scientists...do you care to provide a link to that so I dont just take what you are saying as doctrinaire statements asserted as facts? For as many people say it works..just as many dont. I really dont have the time to go back and forth as it is clear you all could go all day.

IF is nothing to be an 'expert' about. All IF is is a way for some people to control their caloric intake by limiting eating to within a specific window of time. If it works, those using IF can achieve weight loss/management.

Consume too many calories in whatever your eating window is and - just like everyone else - you would gain weight.

All of the additional 'benefits' that have been assigned to IF of late are completely unsubstantiated.

PS: I've been doing IF for decades. There's no magic. It still all comes down to creating a calorie deficit or not. :)

I agree with what you are saying as i do believe in CICO. But I also agree that things are only unsubstantiated until they arent and from what I can see, from studies that have been performed, they did find benefits such as reducing insulin resistance, therefore lowering your risk of Type 2 Diabetes..albeit these study groups were admittedly smaller in size. I am not saying she is right in everything she was saying..but she also wasnt the one making those claims. She was getting those from other cited sources. I was just disappointed in seeing so many people attacking her based on information that she didn't make up herself.

Vetting sources is a very important skill.

Right back at ya!

Just pointing out that not all sources are the same. You can find sources for just about anything online so just because you can cite something doesn't automatically make it reputable.

Just so you know, I like to get my sources from multiple places, like books.

There is this great site, PubMed, where there are actual studies and Meta-Analysies (sp?). There is also the AJSM that publishes scholarly articles based on research. I'm guessing you are not familiar with either of these sources based on your posts...

Good recommendations. Let's also not forget about the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition (JISSN) and their indexed, searchable database: https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think it means never mind. Just guessing.

There is a supportive IF MFP group that you might want to check out. I lurk in it often.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/49-intermittent-fasting

There's also an OMAD group if you like a really small eating time frame.

Sometimes it's.... Friendlier to chat in specific groups about specific ways of eating. ;)
  • cathyreames62
    cathyreames62 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love the 16/8 intermittent fasting. It works well for me, but then again I have never been one for breakfast. Eating from 1 to 9 allows me to not feel guilty for eating in the evening. Plus I am losing weight and that what matters.
  • garygtmm
    garygtmm Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Fasting is easy and awesome. While a year on a Keto diet worked exactly as advertised (-50lbs) I refuse to burn any more time or money on elaborate meal plans, shopping, recipes & exercise regimens. Most days I eat red meat and vegetables from 4:30-8pm. I also drink wine & beer, go for social/work meals weekly and remain steady @ 5’8”/145lb/15% body fat. I have never felt better, never been more energetic and productive in my life. Also, I never worry about my weight. After a few days of 20:4 fasting, I didn’t get hungry or even think about food until driving home at the end of the work day.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    garygtmm wrote: »
    Fasting is easy and awesome. While a year on a Keto diet worked exactly as advertised (-50lbs) I refuse to burn any more time or money on elaborate meal plans, shopping, recipes & exercise regimens. Most days I eat red meat and vegetables from 4:30-8pm. I also drink wine & beer, go for social/work meals weekly and remain steady @ 5’8”/145lb/15% body fat. I have never felt better, never been more energetic and productive in my life. Also, I never worry about my weight. After a few days of 20:4 fasting, I didn’t get hungry or even think about food until driving home at the end of the work day.

what do you mean the keto diet worked as advertised? if you lose weight its due to a deficit and if you are now maintaining you are eating maintenance calories.also how long did it take to lose 50 lbs?
  • garygtmm
    garygtmm Posts: 13 Member
    Options

what do you mean the keto diet worked as advertised? if you lose weight its due to a deficit and if you are now maintaining you are eating maintenance calories.also how long did it take to lose 50 lbs?

I was told by my nutritionist lady that I would lose 2.5 lbs a week - that was bang on! Let’s just assume that most people know what the results of caloric maintenance and deficit will be. I’m just saying that fasting is a very easy way to achieve either.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I’m surprised by how many people are honestly afraid of being hungry.

It's not about being afraid of being hungry. It doesn't work for my work, home, and workout schedules.