July 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• cburke8909
    cburke8909 Posts: 990 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    It was the best of times. It was the worst of times. Race recap. Yesterday’s 7 mile trail race at Bays Mountain Park & Planetarium was scheduled to begin at 6:30 pm. It starts and ends at the part of the park where the wolves are housed (hence the name the Wolf Run). I carpooled with two of my friends and we arrived in plenty of time to find a good parking space, pick up our bib numbers and talk with other runners. About 6:15, a thunderstorm rolled through. Lots rain. Lots of thunder and lightning. The start was delayed about 10 minutes. Lots of mud puddles on the trail most of which I went through the middle. I actually made it past a few runners who were tip-toeing gingerly around them. With about 7-tenths of a mile to go, I came upon one of my friends sitting on a bench beside the trail. She had landed her foot between a couple of roots, heard a pop in her ankle and that was it. She insisted that I go on and finish the race. A few yards past her, I met a volunteer heading her way and I made sure she was going to check on her. Turns out the popping noise was her tendon/ligament which pulled the calcaneus bone from the ankle bone. It took the EMTs a while to get her out. The side-by-side couldn’t get to that area so finally a couple of the guys carried her through the woods and up a hill to a location the side-by-side could reach. We loaded her in her car and off to the ER we went. She was in so much pain. I finally got her home around 1:30 am this morning. We didn’t get to stay for the post-race meal (obviously) so we were starving. Luckily there was a Dunkin’ Donuts still open at 12:30 so we had a donut while waiting on her prescription for pain meds. She will be in a boot for the next 5 weeks and then slowly start some activity. I ended up spending the night at her house and taking her to work this morning. She is single and has two grown daughters one of which lives in the area; however, she is out of town for a work conference. You never can have too many friends! Oh, the good part of my race was that I finished in 1:24:51. I was worried since my previous practice runs out there had me finishing in 1:35 and the cut off was 1:45. Placed first in my AG and an overall 110 out of 144 runners that finished.

Great run and great showing of friendship. We runners have to take care of each other.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    bride001 wrote: »
    @amymoreorless - Her user name was JuliaMacEwan

I do not think the intent was to scare her off - just to warn her that much mileage and being a nonrunner would not be a good combination. It would possibly lead to injury.

Most of us are hoping it was a typo and she meant 16 miles, not 160 miles.

Right, but it was 160 miles starting mid-way through the month. So going from 0 miles / week to 80 miles / week.

Right, I mean if it was @AlphaHowls we would have been all like "You get hurt? That why you cut back?" but this a declared "nonrunner." Big difference! :lol:

That got a chuckle out of me :D

Yay!!!!
  • HonuNui
    HonuNui Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    July....she will fly (at least her feet will)

7/1 3.92
    7/2 3.07
    7/3 rest
    7/4 3.12
    7/5 rest
    7/6 rest
    7/7 I'm old. I really need rest
    7/8 3.83
    7/9 played
    7/10 4.00
    7/11 snorkel 3.5 hours
    7/12 3.20
    7/13 dog emergency
    7/14 3.49
    7/15 3.20
    7/16 rest
    7/17 couldn't
    7/18 3.25

total 30.08
    @Teresa502 warm thoughts and hugs to your friend....my foot hurt just reading about it!

Ticker is my goal for 2018 and progress to date:

exercise.png

• abutcher2122
    abutcher2122 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    6.6 miles bringing my total to 41.5
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Hugs @AprilRN10 remind him he is comparing you to what you used to look like, not what a healthy weight actually is for you. Point out if he saw (insert friend/acquaintance you both know who is similar size or smaller) he would not think her unhealthy because he's never seem them bigger.

I kinda think of celebrities who lose a lot of weight and they look gaunt, or really skinny when they are actually a good size now, we are just used to seeing them big - Peter Jackson comes to mind in the middle of filming LOTR. He looked really gaunt but it was just because we are used to him being bigger.

Failing that tell him to get over himself, your Dr isn't worried so nothing to worry about.

As for my day, I lied this morning, I went for a lunchtime run. Its a good training run because its down hill and flat for 2km, with a constant and gradual climb for the last 2k. It always kills me the last bit!

Hubby is going away tomorrow to the big smoke to buy a car (woo hoo) which means I'm on my own with the kids. So lunchtime run again I think, and I'll do my weekend long run Sunday.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies on "there's always something" - some sort of pain or niggle!

Yep, it's pretty common.

I think maybe that happens when people aren't runners and/or who just walk, and it scares them off exercising altogether.

We know you just have to put up with it.

Often they disappear quickly, but another one soon comes along. Rinse and repeat. So it goes. :smile: