• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
    Mmm
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,395 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday Night ladies!

Just bopping in for a few minutes here....

Carol
    - I wanted to comment on the 16:8 intermittent fasting. I am trying to do it more for getting my insulin resistance under control and letting my brain and body do "housecleaning" during the times it's not dealing with processing food than for weight loss. This is based on suggestions by several researchers as a way to help prevent dementia.

I found the FastDiet - 5:2 - five days of eating "normally" and 2 days of really reducing calories per Michael Mosley's plan was better for weight loss for me.

Rye- I found out where the low carb on the 2 Fast days came from. Check out (if you haven't already) thebloodsugardiet dot com. Another Mosley book - this one is to get blood sugar under control and he describes three methods. First is 8 weeks of 800 calories per day. Second is cutting carbs way back on the 2 Fast days, as mentioned before (I am guessing the 5 days are low sugar and refined carbs as well). Third is just going on a lower carb Mediterranean diet - takes longer but apparently a person ends up with the same result, which is burning visceral fat and getting away from the prediabetes.

The website is quite helpful but I want to know more details so ordered the book - I see it is available at our library. I pretty much eat the Mediterranean he suggests except I am not able to eat a lot of fish so hopefully subbing a little free range poultry and grass fed beef will work. The part I like is where he says eat plenty of eggs and full fat dairy, if your body will tolerate it.

I've been doing the 14:10 to 16:8 eating for the past week, and often going to bed a little hungry. I was dismayed to discover my Fasting Blood Sugar is higher when I got up than when I went to bed! AARRGGHHH. So I have an appointment with my doc on Tuesday to see what's going on. Dr. Google says it's prediabetes, lol. Hormones and all kinds of stuff out of whack. Maybe all the Reese cups and cookies have finally caught up with me. :s Hopefully a few weeks of cutting sugar will help. <3

Karen in VA
    - I think you are eating basically Mediterranean? Thanks for the snack tips by the way!

Have a good evening!

Lanette
    Warm & sultry SW WA State
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,373 Member
    Options
    Took the water class today. The plan for tomorrow is to do a cardio strength DVD.

Rebecca – I try to hit the stores that are on the way. I never want to go out of my way to get to the stores. When the food queen gets her feathers ruffled, what I usually do (mostly out of habit) is try to have something to eat that will up the calories. Unfortunately, sometimes this winds up being junk food. But I thought I was pretty good last night having the cashews and yogurt. Admitted, that’s not exactly the kind of yogurt I would normally have had. I normally have the plain and then add my own fruit etc. But this time I had some of the premixed stuff. Chobani does have a plain variety, and I was able to get some of those with my coupons, but I did have to get some of the others, too. But I guess it was worth it in the end

Do we have any members in southern Delaware?

Katla – I’m glad you found a good compromise so that dh can enjoy himself, too (RV instead of boat). Vince always complains that I keep my phone in my pocketbook and sometimes don’t hear it. Many times I do but it takes a bit to get it out. I tried a pocketbook with one of those holders outside the pocketbook for you to put your cellphone in. It closed with a velcro strap. Eventually what happened is that the velcro wore away and one time when I threw my pocketbook in the car, it fell out. Did I ever panic! That night that pocketbook went into the garbage.

Exercised, went to Big Lots to get Vince bread and see if they carried Vitamin C (we need it for the pool). They didn’t have much so went to Dollar General, they don’t have it, on the way home stopped at Dollar Tree and got some. Went in the pool, now going to get dinner ready.

Pat – when your dh had his eyelid surgery, did he have to ice it?

Vicki – have a great day!

Kim – a while ago Jess honed her influencing skills. She called me saying “ma, with your awesome baking and my awesome decorating, we absolutely can make Laura’s wedding cake”. I’d never made a wedding cake before! I’m definitely not a cake decorator so thank goodness Jess decorated it. Glad the woman decided on a cake rather than cookies. It’ll mean so much more that her mother made it and a good friend decorated it.

Zila – welcome

Christine – welcome. This is a great group of women you’ve found

Meg – feel better, and prayers for your friend

Michele in NC
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Michele - the bride did not decide on a cake instead of cookies, she decided on a cake in ADDITION to cookies, the cake is for cutting and the bride and groom to feed to each other, the cookies are for the guests. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it, very simple (thank goodness) but with fresh flowers and I don't want to pick them until tomorrow.

Also about the fires, they are far enough away to not be a danger - but close enough that we have smoke and the smell of fire in the air.

Smiles Kim in Northern California
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,063 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    I keep my phone in my pocketbook ...

I think this is a regional difference ...

"Pocketbook"

I've heard the term, and I think you probably mean "Purse" (which I used in Canada) or "Handbag" (which I use now in Australia).

But when I hear it, I think "Wallet" ... like this ...

women-s-wallet-with-zipper-8-credit-card-slots-smooth.jpg

M in Oz

• csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3:)
  • Machka9
    Options
    Saturday -- Zwift ... as usual.
    Good ride ... some hills, some sprints ... a section of virtual pouring rain.

Distance: 30.23 km
    Elevation: 254 m
    Moving Time: 1:18:14
    Elapsed Time: 1:18:14

....................... Avg ............... Max
    Speed ............ 23.2km/h ........ 62.6km/h
    Heart Rate ...... 137bpm .......... 177bpm
    Cadence .......... 82 .................. 146
    Power ............. 92W ............... 282W

Machka in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    I am up and having my tea.... working until 1 today.., and then have to come home and do some serious cleaning, even though its a smaller place it gets cluttered fast..having my friends over for lunch tomorrow and I am trying to figure out what to whip up...,the heat wave finally broke and its stunning this morning.... mid 50s , windows open ...
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,079 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Lenora coconut oil is an excellent carrier for essential oil. They are strong so it is good to use a carrier oil. I bought a small guide book that tells me which oils are better for what I need. It is good to consult with your friend. One I do daily is I mix some lemon essential oil with my Epson salts and use it as a leg rub in the bath to help with leg cramps. I also love peppermint oil mixed into shea butter for my feet. An advantage to oilsl is they do not become antibiotic resistant. I used tea tree and eucalyptus when I had my sinus infection. I just opened the bottles and breathed in. Do not apply oil directly to your nose they are too strong.

I do not put sugar in my coffee. I just buy a high quality coffee. Last time at the farmers market I found a vendor who sold freshly roasted coffee beans. I grind them right before I brew. He told me to also get them slightly wet before brewing to get more flavor out of them. Lovely.

I also fortunately do not like sugar in my tea. I have learned to ask. Some places serve sweetened tea. My favorite place to order tea are Indian and Asian restaurants. They know how to make a good cup of tea. I have given up other places because they give you a pot of hopefully hot water and a tea bag. Waiters and waitress don't like it because they have to make special trip to get you more hot water.

If you want to ease yourself off sugar with tea adding cinnamon and orange peel sometimes helps. Cinnamon in coffee also is tasty.

Machka I had an Australian principal once and he said adding milk and sugar to tea they called it tipple you tea. Is that correct?

:heart: Margaret
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heatwave has broken here and we had a most beautiful evening out on the back porch. Rachel is mostly packed and we had a late night sitting out talking-sweet. She leaves Sunday.

We caught sight of a squirrel balancing on the roof and dont you know that little critter scooted right into the attic by way of the fan opening. Now we have to figure how to evict him and keep any more from moving In rent free!!

Heather . Love Cait Flanders blog and book. I enjoy reading about minimalism and frugality as well as other”improving” books

Here’s to a productive and healthy Saturday. NYKAREN
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :)Heather, I put "The Year of Less" on hold for me at the library. I like to read about living abundantly with less. One of my favorite podcasts is by two men called "The Minimalists".

• ghy139
    ghy139 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Michele - the bride did not decide on a cake instead of cookies, she decided on a cake in ADDITION to cookies, the cake is for cutting and the bride and groom to feed to each other, the cookies are for the guests. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it, very simple (thank goodness) but with fresh flowers and I don't want to pick them until tomorrow.

Also about the fires, they are far enough away to not be a danger - but close enough that we have smoke and the smell of fire in the air.

Smiles Kim in Northern California

Good that U R not near those scarey fires.As for the Wedding..Pittsburgh has a Cookie table tradition.Hundreds of dozens of cookies.A beautiful tradition but stressful for the mom who needs to get them together.The story of the tradition is touching.But there is Always Cake too.
  • Machka9
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Machka I had an Australian principal once and he said adding milk and sugar to tea they called it tipple you tea. Is that correct?

:heart: Margaret

Tipple refers more to alcohol ... having a drink, drinking a lot.

I wouldn't think "tipple" would refer to adding milk and sugar to tea ... more like gin!

http://www.foodtolove.com.au/recipes/tea-party-tipple-24897

When it comes to tea, I drink the following, none of which are bitter enough to need anything added to them. In fact, the rooibos one is quite sweet all on its own:

Lady Grey
    Lemon Ginger
    Rooibos - with orange and cinamon
    Flavoured chamomile

M in Oz