WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2018

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,357 Member
    Options
    Did Michelle Dozois Cardio Strength DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Firm Slim Solutions Yoga DVD.

I made a spreadsheet of all the DVD’s I have so that when I go to buy more, at least I won’t get the ones I already have (I’ve done that). I have over 200 DVD’s.

Exercised, went to the farmer’s market and got some more corn which I cooked up, then made these Mousse Brownies for Vince.

M – the only problem I have with ordering groceries online is that you need such a high minimum. I wouldn’t trust them to pick out produce for me nor things like milk that have an expiration date. The people filling the order probably won’t look at the expiration dates. Many times I wind up going to the store for like $20 or so of groceries. Also, I don’t know how they can compute coupons since your order is then charged to your credit card. And you know me (and Rebecca and some others), we use coupons all the time. Is there a delivery fee there?

Barbie – I turned off almost all my automatic feeds to my homepage. I wish there was a way to turn the feeds off for other people. Like it’s not a real big deal to me if someone logged in “X” days or did some type of exercise, I’m expecting that people will regularly log in and exercise. But, alas, I don’t know of any way to do that.

Kim – a cake IN ADDITION to cookies! I guess the only good thing is that the cake doesn’t have to be as large. I saw some pictures online of the smoke from the fires. The sky was orange from the smoke!

M – when I said “pocketbook”, I did mean “purse” or “handbag”. It just never occurred to me that you would call it something else. How much vitamin D are you taking? For a time there I was taking additional D (especially in winter) and my D levels were elevated. Plus, there is D in with the calcium tablets I take

Dana – Vince is a platinum elite member at Marriott. I think the one and only time he wasn’t able to “bump” someone out of a room was when Bryan was graduating from Elon. I’m guessing that if a parent can afford the tuition at Elon, they are probably Elite members, too. Most of the times we stay at a Marriott they usually give us a room at the end of the hall. Well, those rooms are usually quieter. But to me, the positive is that they are usually next to the stairs….:) I can’t believe your grands would call you such names!

I’ve gotten to where I never add milk or sugar to my tea. Yes, if you ask for hot tea many times all you get is a pot of hot water. And usually no refills or take home drinks

Barbara – when we opened the pool this year, for the first time ever, there was a “critter” in the water. He was so badly decomposed I can’t even tell you which critter it was. However, there are A LOT of stains on the bottom of the pool. We usually have a few every year, but no where near what there is this year. What we think happened is that when the critter decomposed, his teeth were on the bottom of the pool and stayed there. Now, if something stays for a long time, it makes a stain. So his teeth made these stains. Rover (the robotic cleaner) picked up quite a few teeth. If you put vitamin C on the stain, it takes the stain up. The bad thing is that it lowers the pH. Then you just have to wait for the pH to come back up, do a few more stains, wait for the pH to come back up. That’s why we need the vitamin C tablets. You can’t use gelcaps or gummies, it has to be tablets so that it will dissolve fairly decently. You can also add borax to bring the pH back up, but it’s best to let it come up on its own. When you add borax (the kind you get at the grocery store), it affects the other readings (like ORP). One downside to running into exercise buddies is that you’re out of “uniform”. Like I met this one lady in Aldi from my water class. I honestly don’t think she recognized me. I said “hi” to her and the look on her face! But she did say “hi” back and then just walked away

Evelyn – at one time I was using sugar substitute. Then one day I ran out of the substitute so I had to use regular sugar. I couldn’t get over how much of the regular sugar I needed to get my tea as sweet as I was used to it. Supposedly the substitute is something like 300 times sweeter than sugar, but I didn’t experience that. Now I drink it without anything.

Jazzy – welcome!

I never had my groceries delivered, however, I did use a pick up service at the store. I placed my order online and they brought it to the car. No fee. It was convenient, but like I said, there were certain things that I wouldn’t leave it to them to pick our (like some meats, produce, dairy)

Michele in NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)<3B)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Llll
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,274 Member
    Options
    This weekend getting ready to go camping next weekend and I am behind in preparations. Have to cook for next weekend. My side of the family goes car camping once a summer with 3 generations. My Mom was never a camper and at 91 shouldn't really start now.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,257 Member
    Options
    Do watch your vit D levels carefully. It is toxic in high doses. My ex MIL, who had to take it, developed "Vit D stupor" and could have died. I don't know what her dosage was, but please get tested regularly.

It's beginning to get a bit old, this heatwave. I'm already fretting about tomorrow. I don't want to cancel on my cancer friend, so I'll just have to suck it up.

DH doesn't feel the heat and is unsympathetic if I complain. :# Perhaps I should have gone for a run this morning. ;)

Much love to all, Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,931 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Do watch your vit D levels carefully. It is toxic in high doses. My ex MIL, who had to take it, developed "Vit D stupor" and could have died. I don't know what her dosage was, but please get tested regularly.

Yes!

There are several vitamins like that.

The best way to get Vit D is from the sun. But if you don't have sun, then they recommend taking Vit D.

According to this article:
    https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2012/196/11/vitamin-d-and-health-adults-australia-and-new-zealand-position-statement
    "The recently revised recommended daily allowances (RDAs) for vitamin D in the US are 600 IU (15 μg) for people aged 1–70 years and 800 IU (20 μg) for those aged ≥ 71 years, with an upper limit (that includes a generous safety factor) of 4000 IU (100 μg)."

This article explains more. It goes into how much sun we need depending on where we're located, and then talks about how much supplementation we might need:
    https://www.nps.org.au/australian-prescriber/articles/vitamin-d-deficiency-in-adults
    "Daily requirements for vitamin D are around 800–1000 IU, but larger doses are needed for patients who are already deficient. For moderate deficiency, that is 15–25 nmol/L, oral supplementation with 3000–5000 IU daily for 6–12 weeks can be used to replete stores followed by a maintenance dose of 1000–2000 IU per day."

"Vitamin D toxicity can be caused by excess oral intake, but not by prolonged exposure to sunshine. No evidence of toxicity has been found in cholecalciferol doses up to 4000 IU daily."

So I'm sticking to 2000 IU for now, which is half the upper limit. When summer comes, I'll cut back to 1000 IU again because I won't need the extra supplements.

Machka in Oz
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Hi Barbie, how do I bookmark it?
  • Machka9
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    Hi Barbie, how do I bookmark it?

Scroll up ... see the clear start on the right near the top? Click it and it will turn yellow. Bookmarked. But this thread is up near the top most of the time anyway, so I don't bother bookmarking it.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday -- Casual ride through the volcanoes on Zwift. :)

Distance: 16.65 km
    Elevation: 61 m
    Moving Time: 40:13
    Elapsed Time: 40:13

........................ Avg .............. Max
    Speed ............. 24.8km/h ........ 41.8km/h
    Heart Rate ...... 122bpm .......... 134bpm
    Cadence ......... 81 .................. 113
    Power ............ 81W ............... 134W

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,500 Member
    edited July 2018
    Options
    Tumble's been off her feed now for a week. Demeanor ok for tennis balls, but not treats (makes training/reinforcement hard). Drinking water and its output ok, poop understandably less and a little runny. Wednesday ate nothing, Thursday ate about an ounce of chicken breast, Friday maybe two ounces, today approx 3 oz of ground beef so I'm hoping she's on the mend. If she eats again Sunday, whew. If not, Monday off to the vet we go. She's done this 3 times before, usually a couple weeks after she comes off being in heat. Always bounces back but not till we visit $$$ vet. Dog group met at a new-to-us park in Crescent City. Because Tumble was refusing treats we just practiced loose leash walking along the group's periphery. Good for my steps, but not so good for reinforcing Tumble's training. Even worse, found tens of cockleburrs on her feet and tum when we got home. :(

Rebecca the pic of the one-petalled rose, and it's story, made me smile. Thank you! Love Dr. Bronner's, used the eucalyptus on the dogs, and the peppermint on me... back in the day...
    Barbie "... haven't told them about the restarts." Sitting here laughing so hard I may waken Joe and the dogs. L O L!
    Allie "failure to appear" for what? Hope it was just a parking ticket.
    Heather your multilingual gifts amaze!
    Machka I, too, kinda like to pick out my produce. Sounds like you've figured out a workable balance between grocery delivery and what you can easily bring home from lunchwalks. "...get somebody to" climb on the roof, another wise decision. Well done again!
    Michelle After several disappointments, I've learned to check expiration dates on everything we buy. Freddie's in Boise was notorious, likewise Grocery Outlet.
    Gamliela click the empty star at right, it will turn yellow. Then when you return to the Community page, click the black star for your list of favorites.
    r9uztdqn5poe.png

Hope to get some zzz's now.
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the

Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD.
    60 g protein 7/7, meditate 5/7, walk one more step 4/7, knee exercises 5/7, walk Tumble 4/4 times, SWSY 0/2, hang up or purge art 0/1
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    CJ - Delighted to see you! <3 I'm so sorry that you have been having a hard time, but that's what we're here for. Life's ups and downs. Please don't go away again. I have missed you and often wondered what you are up to. I think you had a grand new job just before you left and I assumed you were just busy. Sorry I was wrong. :'( I remember you were learning languages (Spanish?) Anyway, do keep in touch with us. So many of us have tough times, you will be in the right place. <3<3<3<3<3

Barbara - I really don't have any special talent for languages. I failed my French exam at school. What I do have is interest and application. I'm a great believer in "little and often". That's the secret to many things in life. :D I do love languages as a key to other cultures. It enables me to get inside the head of a country. Like travelling without the inconvenience. But I am the same as everyone else - my short term memory is pretty poor these days. Only daily repetition makes anything sink in. I work on the theory that if you do something often enough, even for a short time, you are bound to improve a little bit. I'm happy with small gains.
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

I'm going to tackle my pile of writings one bite at a time this afternoon. One small box. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    CJ~ my condolences on the loss of your husband, and for your ill granddaughter , like turns our world upside down sometimes, all I can do is keep you in my prayers and take it all a day or even an hour at a time...
    It is a stunningly beautiful morning, and I have friends coming for lunch,,,, so I went shopping yesterday... I always over buy but nothing that will go to waste.. or cant be frozen..I bought lobster cakes to heat up ,nice green salad, ciabatta bread and olive oil for dipping, some olives and baby mozz balls, cooked shrimp and cocktail sauce, and even a rotisserie chicken.. also bought a few things for dessert, I had 2 ripe peaches that I sliced up and soaked in rum.. so boozy peaches over vanilla ice cream ,
    I know alof of fattening stuff, but I will be busy running around... so wont get to eat much...
    have a load of laundry in and then will get that in the dryer before going to feed DFIL and then back to scrub up the place.. it is amazing how such a small place gets so cluttered ...ugh....
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Happy Sunday! I have time for coffee and mfp this morning, as I did pretty much all of my food/meal prep yesterday. Yesterday went pretty well with the seven year old. He is VERY chatty! I got a bit "crispy" at the beach on the spots that I didn't put sunscreen on. *sigh...I need an easier way to get it on my back.
    Rye and Barbara- LOL Don't be to amazed with my energy. It is easy to have energy right when I wake up. After dinner, I sat and looked at my kitchen cupboards and thought "if only they would paint themselves..." But they won't so I got four cupboards painted. Only ten more to go. Not feeling much like a force of nature this morning! lol
    Machka- So glad you were able to take advantage of the online grocery service! It is a bit pricier here where I live; $20/$100. Right now my budget is too tight to fit this service in; but I also love grocery shopping, so I think I would be more apt to pay for someone to clean my house or mow my lawn/yard services. DH has offered to do the shopping for me. lol The thought of him doing it is horrifying to me. I am sure he doesn't even go into the produce area when he is at the store!
    Heather- Hope the weather in London isn't too horrible! Heat and humidity isn't bad; unless you have places to go and things that need to be done. Love that you are keeping up with the duolingo. That is something that I put on the back burner, but really need to get back to!
    Dana- I am so sorry your grandkids are giving you a hard time. I am positive that this was just too much time away from their mom. I agree with Pip, however, and hope that you talked to them about the way they treated you. They are hurting, but no excuse to treat others that way.
    Pip- Congrats on the loss!
    CJ-Glad to see you back and sorry to hear of your troubles! Sending you strength, peace, and comfort! We all have those times in life, where life's burdens just seem too heavy. Please come here often, feel free to vent and pull whatever strength and comfort you can get from the rest of us! <3

Any of you ladies ever have your bathroom tub reglazed? lol I am already thinking of my bathroom and my kitchen is not done. Glutton for punishment, right here. :s

Hugs to all who need them! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Well I am a busy bee this morning,have laundry in the dryer,picking up here and there and trying to get things set up....
    I am hoping everyone has a good time,I always love to have everyone gather..my great aunt used to call me her party girl...so I started young...every labor day we would gather the family at the cottage to celebrate my grandmothers and my brothers birthday...all the cousins aunts uncles...well we have a wicker tea cart that at 4-5 yrs old I would help set up and roll out..gotta say the adults back then liked there cocktails and cigarettes....I was pouring drinks even back then...... that whole generation is gone..and now we are the adults....but the world has changed so much...it is wonderful to remenice isn't it? We will always have our memories xoxox.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,061 Member
    Options
    CJ sorry for your struggles.

Kelly I too have been thinking about doing that too. The glaze has worn off on ours too! I like the size of the tub and do not want to go through the hassle of changing it out.
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    We get free grocery delivery at over £60. I mainly buy heavy, boring stuff, but when I have asked for veg or meat it has always been fine. There are often good offers on stuff. You can reject anything that isn't exactly what you wanted and get an automatic refund. We used to use it often, but not so much just recently because I haven't been drinking the pastis they sell. I'm doing really well on the AF drinks. Just discovered a Rosé wine I really like. And a Muscat white.

This morning I threw away my university notes :o apart from one essay I wrote for my MA on Existentialism. :bigsmile: I also got rid of lots of duplicate typescripts of a couple of my children's books, but kept the original manuscripts and one of each version of the typescript. Making progress, but a long way to go. I have the fan trained on me. :D

Next I will do my cycling with the fan on me and wet hair from a hair wash. Watching a detective thriller on my tablet. :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxx