Hating on Fat People Just Makes Them Fatter

Options
Study: Hating on Fat People Just Makes Them Fatter

There's no denying obesity is a problem. While we know many ways to fight it, we haven't found an easy, cure-all solution. We do know what doesn't work, however. One of those things may surprise you: criticizing fat people won't make them skinnier.

While it's rude, you may think being teased about weight may help provide motivation to lose weight. Instead it does just the opposite. Calling people out about their weight or discriminating against people in some way due to weight, like not being able to ride a roller coaster or sit comfortably on a plane, doesn't provide anything positive. Weight discrimination may sound like just another excuse for obesity, but the truth is, weight discrimination is as common as racial discrimination.

Researchers actually performed a study that measured this situation. 6,000 adults over the age of 50 were asked how often they were discriminated against and what they thought the reason was. Four years later they asked the same questions. Researchers also looked at participants change in weight over the 4 year period.

For those that had thought they experienced discrimination based on weight, 4 years later they were twice as likely to be obese. Those that were already obese at the onset of the study were 3 times more likely to remain obese if they felt discriminated against based on their weight. Discrimination based on race or age didn't affect weight.

While this doesn't sound like it has much relevance beyond teaching your kids to mind their manners and be nice, it may help researchers better understand the psychological and emotional sides of obesity. Factors such as depression, low self-esteem, emotional eating, and stress all play a role in the obesity picture. Understanding the different facets that lead people to pack on the pounds can help lead to a more realistic solution. Plus, as parents, it's helpful to remember when we're trying to raise our daughters- nagging them to lose weight will likely backfire, in more ways than one.

- By Heather Neal

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/study-hating-fat-people-just-makes-them-fatter-151100557.html

Replies

• drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    idk, when my Bro said that I was looking more out of shape than he could ever remember, and ask me when I was due, That's the day I went and took a good look in the mirror and realized he was 100% right.

It isn't de-motivating to everyone. It is all in how you choose to perceive/accept it .....if it's fact, it's a fact. And in my case it sure was a simple fact. And it motivated me to revert back to a healthier lifestyle.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    idk, when my Bro said that I was looking more out of shape than he could ever remember, and ask me when I was due, That's the day I went and took a good look in the mirror and realized he was 100% right.

It isn't de-motivating to everyone. It is all in how you choose to perceive/accept it .....if it's fact, it's a fact. And in my case it sure was a simple fact. And it motivated me to revert back to a healthier lifestyle.

"More out of shape" =/= "you fat pig". I think you may have missed the point.
  • simsburyjet
    simsburyjet Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    You have the body you want... truest words I ever heard.
    How bad do you want a fit body? No words would stop me.
  • drefaw
    drefaw Posts: 739
    Options
    Uhm, asking a guy when he's due is pretty much "calling people out about their weight" I do believe .....

I did not miss the point of the article......
  • Amanda_Tate28
    Amanda_Tate28 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I agree with this article. I feel discriminated against because of my weight and it makes me feel hopeless sometimes.

No matter how much a loose I will always be fat.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I agree with this article. I feel discriminated against because of my weight and it makes me feel hopeless sometimes.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but why have you decided you will always be fat? Don't you think some counselling would be a good idea? Or does it make you feel safer to keep up with old thought patterns?
  • beachgod
    beachgod Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, another article for people who are too lazy and/or uncaring about their health to fall back on instead of eating less and moving more. Victim mentality FTMFL.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I don't have much to add to the topic of the article itself, apart from a reminder that the world is what it is today thanks to multiple personalities, not a single Warrior model. People who comment harshly in this thread are either strong from the beginning or they have overcome their vulnerabilities in the health department. Why don't you give those not there yet a break?
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    While I agree with you, in general, I also feel that drefaw has a point. The line that stood out to me was "For those that had thought they experienced discrimination based on weight, 4 years later they were twice as likely to be obese."

If you asked me whether I have been discriminated against based on weight (215+ at my heaviest) I would say "no."
    However, if you asked me if I experienced incidents that could be interpreted as weight discrimination, I would say "yes."

The bottom line for me is personal responsibility.

No amount of awareness/teasing/discrimination/what-have-you is going to help me lose weight. I knew that I was fat. I knew that it was a problem. I needed tools, not judgement. If you feel justified in shaming somebody because you think they need to change, then you are an *kitten*.

On the other hand, other people's attitudes did not keep me fat. Accepting other people's negative judgements and basing your behavior on them is dangerous. (And if you are prone to doing so, I strongly advise not becoming a parent.) If you feel justified in not changing *your own* behavior because the people around you don't live up to your expectations, you need to re-examine what you want out of life and ask whether you are willing to wait for other people to hand it to you.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I don't have much to add to the topic of the article itself, apart from a reminder that the world is what it is today thanks to multiple personalities, not a single Warrior model. People who comment harshly in this thread are either strong from the beginning or they have overcome their vulnerabilities in the health department. Why don't you give those not there yet a break?

I agree with this too...except, you choose whom you surround yourself with.
  • TLynn0568
    Options
    Yes, I agree with your POV 100%.

When my mother "called me out" about my weight of course I was embarrassed/ashamed that I had let myself get to a point where it was so noticeable - and not improving - that it prompted her to say something, but it made me take a hard and honest look at myself and what I'm doing to myself. I NEEDED that concerned honesty from her.

I certainly recognize there's a difference between being told by people that have legitimate concern vs. full on ignorance/bullying of an overweight person, and the latter is just people being mean and that unfortunately is a fact of life - we're going to run into very mean people who say hurtful things. However, at the end of the day only YOU can hold yourself accountable for how you are, and make changes accordingly. I was teased for being overweight as a child and it hurt, bad, so I know what of I speak.

I don't blame anyone else for how I am - the responsibility for me to be what I want lies solely with ME.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no- eating more makes them fatter- the REASON why many people eat is a different story- but blaming more weight gain on "fat shaming" is rubbish.

that's probably the silliest thing I have ever heard. You will always be fat if you over eat and/or are completely sedentary. If you change that- you will change your appearance.

One day you'll be tired of how you are and commit to making changes- and then you will stop being as you are. but you have to come up to that conclusion on your own- no one will change it for you- and no matter how much you like it- it's one of the few things you have absolute control over- it just takes hard work and time.

And it's lose not loose.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    My husband telling me to not eat a second helping of something or I would feel bad about it made me get my eating habits in check and I started exercising to aid in the weight loss. I learned to eat healthy and am 40 lbs down for almost 3 years now. Very happy too.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    My husband telling me to not eat a second helping of something or I would feel bad about it made me get my eating habits in check and I started exercising to aid in the weight loss. I learned to eat healthy and am 40 lbs down for almost 3 years now. Very happy too.
    It doesn't sound like he said it in a way that made you feel like sh1t though, but the message was presented in a respectful wrapping. World of a difference.

ETA
    I wonder if I've misread the comment. Carry on, disregard.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    Anectdotally it's true...

When I was in middle school and I got called a whale...I got fatter

When my Mom told me she that if she was as big as me she'd never be able to leave the house...I got fatter

When I was in high school and they made moo'ing noises at me...I got fatter

When my uncle called me a Sumo wrestler...I got fatter

When the same uncle told me no man would ever love me because they would be afraid I'd roll over onto them...I got fatter

When I was laughed at CeCe's pizza...I got fatter

When some man at a buffet told me how disgusting it was I was getting dessert...I got fatter

It wasnt until I discovered that my body was actually very attractive and seductive to men, and I started to want to learn how to love my self did the weight come off.

So from this fatties point of view yeah shaming just makes em' fatter.
  • perfect_storm
    perfect_storm Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like he said it in a way that made you feel like sh1t though, but the message was presented in a respectful wrapping. World of a difference.

ETA

It still made me feel fat and bad about how I looked regardless of the delivery.
  • AglaeaC
    Options

ETA

It still made me feel fat and bad about how I looked regardless of the delivery.
    I'm sorry, I did misread it then. Wasn't my intention! English isn't my first language so occasionally I still stumble a bit.
  • ril0riley
    ril0riley Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    The only thing that study would prove is that fat people with persecution complexes tend to remain fat people with persecution complexes.
  • iTrainHARD
    Options
    "For those that had thought they experienced discrimination based on weight, 4 years later they were twice as likely to be obese. Those that were already obese at the onset of the study were 3 times more likely to remain obese if they felt discriminated against based on their weight. Discrimination based on race or age didn't affect weight. "

Given that these are personal accounts that people are "remembering" only points to the direction that personal perception is everything. Those who "felt" as if they were being discriminated against based on their weight, were different from those who didn't "feel" that that they were being discriminated for their weight.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, don't mind me. I'm just here with some logic.

Correlation does not equal causation.