Hating on Fat People Just Makes Them Fatter

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    So, does calling someone skinny, in turn, make them skinnier? Or calling someone smart, make them smarter? Or calling someone rich, make them richer? Or calling someone athletic make them more athletic?

So, basically, I'm not responsible for my own actions, but I am responsible for the words that people say to me. I have no control over my weight, my financial status, my level of knowledge...I'm just at the mercy of the general public and family members, and I just HOPE that they bless me with good words and not bad ones.

Or am I missing the point of the article?

Yes! Now you finally understand how the world works!!

(just kidding, obviously!)

*looks down*

you are bigger, better and have more stamina than anyone else

And gosh darn it, people like me!

I :heart: this thread.
  • PepperWorm
    PepperWorm Posts: 1,206
    Options
    You have the body you want... truest words I ever heard.
    How bad do you want a fit body? No words would stop me.

That's a great quote. I'll be using it as motivation in the future. :smile:
  • BeachIron
    Options
    Sometimes all it takes is one person willing to be there for someone, who is struggling. I see a lot of cold, distanced comments in this thread and am wondering what life would look like if the origins of those comments would step outside of themselves for a while to ask the weaker person - who could benefit from the experience and knowledge of the stronger one - whether they could help somehow. Most humans thrive on kindness, regardless of all the "I don't sugarcoat it" types of claims you see here. The strong individual isn't struggling anymore, so why not act like a mentor? Or is it nicer, more convenient, to sit on a high horse? Genuine kindness isn't the same as sugarcoating, but maybe we should all just fend for ourselves to make the world a better place.

Many of us know that it took a swift kick in our pants to stop making and excuses and get moving. Once people make that commitment and actually get moving, then the "oh I'm sorries" and "you can do it!s" come out in full force (at least on most of my friends' walls). The individual has to make that commitment though, and drop the excuses first and foremost.
  • Jerrypeoples
    Jerrypeoples Posts: 1,541 Member
    Options

*looks down*

i was going to post a picture of that reply but i didnt think too many people would know stuart

i think most people who say blah blah blah people are man blah blah blah im going to use this as an excuse have never had that kind of pressure put on them

yes you as a person have to be stronger than to let some jerks put you down but that is more often easier said than done. its really a cliche saying but walk a mile in my shoes is fairly accurate here. only dont worry about walking in their shoes, try living in their head.

that is when you will see how powerful idiots can be.

as far as the Poster who commented about her trials and tribulation at the public gym after working out in a work one, while violence rarely solves anything i wish you would have kneed them right in the nuts
  • Lochlyn_D
    Lochlyn_D Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I just did a study on people who do study's. Turns out they're full of ****,.
  • die2fat4love
    die2fat4love Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I agree with this article. I feel discriminated against because of my weight and it makes me feel hopeless sometimes.

No matter how much a loose I will always be fat.

I understand what you mean and your not alone.
  • wannabpiper
    wannabpiper Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    My husband telling me to not eat a second helping of something or I would feel bad about it made me get my eating habits in check and I started exercising to aid in the weight loss. I learned to eat healthy and am 40 lbs down for almost 3 years now. Very happy too.

It's nice to hear about a couple who communicate so well. Too many women would take the low road and feel sorry for themselves when a spouse mentioned her weight. Nice work!
  • rosellasweet
    rosellasweet Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I find this really interesting because I have an opposite response. I got called huge, porky, and chunky all throughout high school. I had boys pulling Never Been Kissed on me and pretending they knew a boy who liked me, only to laugh and say no one would ever date me. What did I weigh? Between 140 and 150. Which is in the "average" weigh range for my height. I look back at pictures and remember fitting into size 11 juniors and 12 women's. I had one girl tell my brother that she could swear I weighed over 200. So I rarely ate.

I didn't gain weight until the end of my sophmore year of college. Everyone in college told me the opposite, "You're so skinny!" So I ate more because I thought I could afford it.

People's reactions are very interesting.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I'm not responsible for other people's feelings. They are.

Other people aren't responsible for mine. I am, solely.

Personal responsibility. Some folks use it more than others.
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    So, does calling someone skinny, in turn, make them skinnier? Or calling someone smart, make them smarter? Or calling someone rich, make them richer? Or calling someone athletic make them more athletic?

So, basically, I'm not responsible for my own actions, but I am responsible for the words that people say to me. I have no control over my weight, my financial status, my level of knowledge...I'm just at the mercy of the general public and family members, and I just HOPE that they bless me with good words and not bad ones.

OMGz, this is amazing!! Quick, somebody tell me to go win the lottery!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

Yes! Now you finally understand how the world works!!

(just kidding, obviously!)

*looks down*

HARDER! You forgot HARDER!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Sometimes all it takes is one person willing to be there for someone, who is struggling. I see a lot of cold, distanced comments in this thread and am wondering what life would look like if the origins of those comments would step outside of themselves for a while to ask the weaker person - who could benefit from the experience and knowledge of the stronger one - whether they could help somehow. Most humans thrive on kindness, regardless of all the "I don't sugarcoat it" types of claims you see here. The strong individual isn't struggling anymore, so why not act like a mentor? Or is it nicer, more convenient, to sit on a high horse? Genuine kindness isn't the same as sugarcoating, but maybe we should all just fend for ourselves to make the world a better place.

Many of us know that it took a swift kick in our pants to stop making and excuses and get moving. Once people make that commitment and actually get moving, then the "oh I'm sorries" and "you can do it!s" come out in full force (at least on most of my friends' walls). The individual has to make that commitment though, and drop the excuses first and foremost.
    Obviously yes. My point though is that there are many here who are close to the point where they have the strength to commit, but aren't quite there yet. Instead of giving them the rough treatment - which I don't believe is very helpful - why not ask gently what is wrong? Maybe they will finally take the last necessary step that is needed to not make excuses anymore. It goes quickly for some lucky ones, whereas for others it is about rowing back and forth several times. Patience and understanding that we aren't all alike (yep, some are of that gross sensitive type to which I also belong) does require a lot of personal maturity though. Pushy consultants aren't usually very successful, but those who adapt to the client's needs might experience great progress. My humble two cents.
  • Hadabetter
    Hadabetter Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    You have the body you want...

This is golden.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

OMGz, this is amazing!! Quick, somebody tell me to go win the lottery!

Molly! You're a gawt.... dam'd..... Lottery winner! STFU you little LOTTERY winner. Who do you think you're talking to LOTTERY WINNER? I may be fat but you're a LOTTERY WINNER and I can diet!
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I agree with this article. I feel discriminated against because of my weight and it makes me feel hopeless sometimes.

No matter how much a loose I will always be fat.

I understand what you mean and your not alone.

I agree. I have had it happen to me. And for the most part I agree with article. My mom would always rip into me about my weight (she asked me why I couldn't look like a college cheerleader or dancer. She also said that no guy would ever marry me because of my weight etc), my doctor's blamed my asthma on my weight (and turns out it wasn't the reason, rather a contribution) and told me to lose. My peers at school (particularly boys) would tease me. Even in college. Problem was, no one was guiding me on how to do it. I even took Green Tea pills thinking that would help. Nope, and after my mom died, it only got worse.

Nowadays though, everyone that gives me compliments are a drive for me to get even better, and not to mention my little one. I have to show him that no matter what he can overcome anything. And that being healthy will make him live longer then his grandmothers (my mom was 57 when she died, my mother in law was 51).
  • BeachIron
    Options

*looks down*

i was going to post a picture of that reply but i didnt think too many people would know stuart

i think most people who say blah blah blah people are man blah blah blah im going to use this as an excuse have never had that kind of pressure put on them

yes you as a person have to be stronger than to let some jerks put you down but that is more often easier said than done. its really a cliche saying but walk a mile in my shoes is fairly accurate here. only dont worry about walking in their shoes, try living in their head.

that is when you will see how powerful idiots can be.

as far as the Poster who commented about her trials and tribulation at the public gym after working out in a work one, while violence rarely solves anything i wish you would have kneed them right in the nuts

As far as walking a mile in someone else's shoes, are you really proposing that "i think most people who say blah blah blah people are man blah blah blah im going to use this as an excuse have never had that kind of pressure put on them"?

Really?

So, and I'm just throwing this out there, all the people here that are fit and saying "stop making excuses" were always fit? Or that they have never had depression or self esteem issues? You think that, just maybe, some of the people that are saying "stop making excuses" are speaking from experience?

I'm not trying to create a great debate here, but the stop making excuses thing has been successful for a good number of people and not just in weight loss.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Obviously yes. My point though is that there are many here who are close to the point where they have the strength to commit, but aren't quite there yet. Instead of giving them the rough treatment - which I don't believe is very helpful - why not ask gently what is wrong? Maybe they will finally take the last necessary step that is needed to not make excuses anymore. It goes quickly for some lucky ones, whereas for others it is about rowing back and forth several times. Patience and understanding that we aren't all alike (yep, some are of that gross sensitive type to which I also belong) does require a lot of personal maturity though. Pushy consultants aren't usually very successful, but those who adapt to the client's needs might experience great progress. My humble two cents.

No in my experience the readiness comes from the inside. No one external to you can give that to you. Once you're set on that path though sure, cheerleaders can keep you motivated. But that first step has to come from within. That "decision" to change.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

No in my experience the readiness comes from the inside. No one external to you can give that to you. Once you're set on that path though sure, cheerleaders can keep you motivated. But that first step has to come from within. That "decision" to change.

^^ This. My mom told me very nicely when I was 11 that I was eating too much and putting on weight. I had some jerks in my Jr. High that called me a fatty after that. Neither my supportive mother nor those jerky kids were responsible for my continued gain. It was a year and a half ago that I said to myself "nope, I'm done being fat" that I started to make changes.
  • red_road
    red_road Posts: 761 Member
    Options
    Oh boy, another article for people who are too lazy and/or uncaring about their health to fall back on instead of eating less and moving more. Victim mentality FTMFL.

P.A.O.O.A.M People against overuse of acronyms movement.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMxoh2QEvlg