Hating on Fat People Just Makes Them Fatter

Options

Replies

• BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    Sometimes all it takes is one person willing to be there for someone, who is struggling. I see a lot of cold, distanced comments in this thread and am wondering what life would look like if the origins of those comments would step outside of themselves for a while to ask the weaker person - who could benefit from the experience and knowledge of the stronger one - whether they could help somehow. Most humans thrive on kindness, regardless of all the "I don't sugarcoat it" types of claims you see here. The strong individual isn't struggling anymore, so why not act like a mentor? Or is it nicer, more convenient, to sit on a high horse? Genuine kindness isn't the same as sugarcoating, but maybe we should all just fend for ourselves to make the world a better place.

Many of us know that it took a swift kick in our pants to stop making and excuses and get moving. Once people make that commitment and actually get moving, then the "oh I'm sorries" and "you can do it!s" come out in full force (at least on most of my friends' walls). The individual has to make that commitment though, and drop the excuses first and foremost.
    Obviously yes. My point though is that there are many here who are close to the point where they have the strength to commit, but aren't quite there yet. Instead of giving them the rough treatment - which I don't believe is very helpful - why not ask gently what is wrong? Maybe they will finally take the last necessary step that is needed to not make excuses anymore. It goes quickly for some lucky ones, whereas for others it is about rowing back and forth several times. Patience and understanding that we aren't all alike (yep, some are of that gross sensitive type to which I also belong) does require a lot of personal maturity though. Pushy consultants aren't usually very successful, but those who adapt to the client's needs might experience great progress. My humble two cents.

I humbly disagree. One, I'm not a consultant and I don't have to worry about soft balling things so people will pay me. And two, this website is meant for adults, and while we are limited generally to not attacking people and being all around asshats, I personally find straight talk the most effective approach. Well, that and adults take personal responsibility for themselves. It's a lesson we all have to learn.

Honestly, this is one area where there is a definite divide among MFP members, and you and I won't be able to solve it here. I'm okay with agreeing to disagree on this one.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You have the body you want... truest words I ever heard.
    How bad do you want a fit body? No words would stop me.

This.

Plus: having people call me out on being fat didn't affect me positively or negatively until I was READY to change my life. We only have ourselves to make the decision to do it. You can have results or you can have excuses. You cannot have both.
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    i got fat because my calories that I was inputting (read eating) were FAR more than my calories I was outputting...(read exercising)

eating because I was called a name was an excuse to not take responsibility...

eating because I was sad was an excuse to not take responsibility...

i WAS fat....i WAS hugely fat....(LOOK AT MY TICKER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD)

choosing to eat made me fatter....

not those people...and I refuse to give them that power...

and I ALWAYS knew from day one that it was me and I was failing me....

it did however take me a damn long time to realise that shrugging my shoulders and saying "oh well, I'm just going to fail at being thin" did not make me happy...

once I got that...really really got that....

I changed me.

only YOU will make you fatter, only YOU can make you thinner.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Sometimes all it takes is one person willing to be there for someone, who is struggling.

Not just sometimes, it ALWAYS takes just ONE person.

The person themself.

Nobody else can do it, not with coddling, not with kindness, not with bullying or harsh words. The only person who can choose is the person themself.

That's why a lot of folks are replying scornfully, because a lot of us have discovered this. My fitness level is dependent solely on myself, and the choices I make. Food pushers can't choose for me. Bullies can't choose for me. My parents, my children, folks who "wants what is best" for me can't choose either.

It's all on me. And thank goodness for that!
  • iTrainHARD
    Options
    Sometimes all it takes is one person willing to be there for someone, who is struggling. I see a lot of cold, distanced comments in this thread and am wondering what life would look like if the origins of those comments would step outside of themselves for a while to ask the weaker person - who could benefit from the experience and knowledge of the stronger one - whether they could help somehow. Most humans thrive on kindness, regardless of all the "I don't sugarcoat it" types of claims you see here. The strong individual isn't struggling anymore, so why not act like a mentor? Or is it nicer, more convenient, to sit on a high horse? Genuine kindness isn't the same as sugarcoating, but maybe we should all just fend for ourselves to make the world a better place.

Many of us know that it took a swift kick in our pants to stop making and excuses and get moving. Once people make that commitment and actually get moving, then the "oh I'm sorries" and "you can do it!s" come out in full force (at least on most of my friends' walls). The individual has to make that commitment though, and drop the excuses first and foremost.
    Obviously yes. My point though is that there are many here who are close to the point where they have the strength to commit, but aren't quite there yet. Instead of giving them the rough treatment - which I don't believe is very helpful - why not ask gently what is wrong? Maybe they will finally take the last necessary step that is needed to not make excuses anymore. It goes quickly for some lucky ones, whereas for others it is about rowing back and forth several times. Patience and understanding that we aren't all alike (yep, some are of that gross sensitive type to which I also belong) does require a lot of personal maturity though. Pushy consultants aren't usually very successful, but those who adapt to the client's needs might experience great progress. My humble two cents.

No in my experience the readiness comes from the inside. No one external to you can give that to you. Once you're set on that path though sure, cheerleaders can keep you motivated. But that first step has to come from within. That "decision" to change.

Yep.
    I was called Miss Piggy in the 5th grade
    Heard a lot of 'you have a cute face for a fat girl' in middle school
    People yelling 'fatty' out of the school bus windows in high school

I have a pretty extensive history with being called all sorts of names. No amount of anyone comforting me did it take for me to get off my @$$ and lose the weight. I changed when I was ready. The name-calling didn't make me "fatter". I was already fat. I lost the weight when I took accountability. That's it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

No in my experience the readiness comes from the inside. No one external to you can give that to you. Once you're set on that path though sure, cheerleaders can keep you motivated. But that first step has to come from within. That "decision" to change.
    Even the strongest of men like holding someone else's hand once in a while, nothing wrong in warmth between human beings. Yes it sounds cheesy, but come on, everyone likes to feel appreciated rather than judged. Everyone obviously takes the last step by themself into a mindset of determination, but it isn't unusual that they receive some form of support along the way. For some this is that support. I can't change others nor do I want to, but at least I can speak up with a warmer voice than some others here.
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's the truth. It just adds to an already negative situation and people who tend to be emotional/stress eaters aren't going to react positively by being badgered about the fact that they're fat. They're probably going to eat more (not intentionally). What they need is a positive, helpful person to do things with them and act as a role model just by making healthy choices. Additional studies show that our nutrition choices are affected by who we spend our time with, so if we go out to lunch every day with the same group of people who are always eating pizza and nachos, odds are good that we'll go that route, too. If we spend time around people making healthy choices (without harping on it - just doing it), odds are we'll start doing the same or similar.
  • Granville_Cocteau
    Granville_Cocteau Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Different people react to different kinds of motivation. For me, criticism is fuel. But I would understand if others need more encouragement.

There's no one right way to motivate every kind of individual.
  • ashandloggiesmom
    ashandloggiesmom Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    IMO no one should give a rat's *kitten* if someone is fat or skinny or whatever. Unless it somehow directly affects them, like a family members health issues or something, why would I make fun of or make a rude comment to an overweight person? What business is it of mine how they live? Be thin as rail, don't eat, pig out and gain a hundred pounds, everyone lives their own life and can do with it as they choose. Everyone's all up in everyone's business too much!
  • shazzannon
    shazzannon Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    No matter how much a loose I will always be fat.

With that attitude, you're right.

The victim mentality that I see a lot on this site drives me up the flippin wall. Quit letting other people have power over you and take control of your own life!!! We're adults and we have responsibility for our own actions. Quit blaming everyone else and looking for a convenient excuse! If someone makes you feel bad, it's probably because they were speaking the truth. No one gets their feelings hurt over something that doesn't apply to them.

I'm wondering if they meant, "no matter how much I lose I will always FEEL fat." Like they'll always have the mentality of being a bigger person, even if the body they actually inhabit is in great shape. That's how I took it, anyway.
  • curvygirl77
    curvygirl77 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    IMO no one should give a rat's *kitten* if someone is fat or skinny or whatever. Unless it somehow directly affects them, like a family members health issues or something, why would I make fun of or make a rude comment to an overweight person? What business is it of mine how they live? Be thin as rail, don't eat, pig out and gain a hundred pounds, everyone lives their own life and can do with it as they choose. Everyone's all up in everyone's business too much!

^^^^^^Agree
  • withabandon
    withabandon Posts: 168 Member
    Options

Quoted for TRUTH.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    Different people react to different kinds of motivation. For me, criticism is fuel. But I would understand if others need more encouragement.

There's no one right way to motivate every kind of individual.
    This is the type of comment that gets respect from me. I don't want the criticism unless I've asked for it, but I know many guys here have talked in the spirit of "no goddamn crying" and that's fine - as long as my method is genuinely okay, too. *smiles widely*
  • ezziepug
    ezziepug Posts: 57
    Options

I lean toward Buddhist precepts and try to be compassionate in the world. It's kind of hard, but it makes my life better and it minimizes getting bothered/hurt by things.
  • SpeSHul_SnoflEHk
    SpeSHul_SnoflEHk Posts: 6,256 Member
    Options
    This is what's wrong with people these days. I'm a freaking victim :sad: I get so sick of hearing this crap. Whatever happened to personal responsibility?

Guess what. I was fat. I'm 66 inches and weighed 280. I'm still fat, but I am down 90 pounds or so.

Did people tell me I was fat? Heck yes.

Did I go home and cry over a bucket of chicken about it? Nope.

Hell, I was the person who used to make the most fat jokes about myself.

Did I know what I needed to do? Yep.

Did I do it? Nope

At the time, eating really tasty fried and meat and starch foods to excess were much more important to me than being thin and healthy. My MD told me every year, that I should start eating right, and add more exercise to my life. I blew him off because it didn't fit into my lifestyle., and was lower on my priorities. I didn't have diabetes. I didn't have blood pressure problems. My cholesterol was fine. I could live with the not being able to sit up, not being able to touch my toes, etc.

Who had the problem? Me!

It wasn't the fact that I was teased. It wasn't my mom and dad making me clean my plate. It wasn't bad genetics. It was me, and my priorities. It wasn't until I got a diagnosis of prediabetes that weight loss became a higher priority that motivated me to start eating better and getting more active.

Once again. Personal responsibility. It's as bad as that thread where someone deleted all of their friends because she gained weight. It's from inside not outside.

SMDH

[/rant]
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    No matter how much a loose I will always be fat.

With that attitude, you're right.

The victim mentality that I see a lot on this site drives me up the flippin wall. Quit letting other people have power over you and take control of your own life!!! We're adults and we have responsibility for our own actions. Quit blaming everyone else and looking for a convenient excuse! If someone makes you feel bad, it's probably because they were speaking the truth. No one gets their feelings hurt over something that doesn't apply to them.

The ones that make me crazy are people who get butt hurt and throw their diet in the toilet because they lose a bunch of weight and no one notices or compliments them. I just want to start handing out the throat punches.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I lean toward Buddhist precepts and try to be compassionate in the world. It's kind of hard, but it makes my life better and it minimizes getting bothered/hurt by things.
    True, same here. I very much believe in "detached compassion/kindness"; it doesn't cost much effort to practice yet it can be significant in someone else's life. I don't think it's Buddhist only, but Christian teachings go along those lines, too. I don't have a particular faith, though, but just think it's the right thing to do not to be so butthurt about the slower pace of others or their struggles for that matter.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Sometimes all it takes is one person willing to be there for someone, who is struggling.

Not just sometimes, it ALWAYS takes just ONE person.

The person themself.

Nobody else can do it, not with coddling, not with kindness, not with bullying or harsh words. The only person who can choose is the person themself.

That's why a lot of folks are replying scornfully, because a lot of us have discovered this. My fitness level is dependent solely on myself, and the choices I make. Food pushers can't choose for me. Bullies can't choose for me. My parents, my children, folks who "wants what is best" for me can't choose either.

It's all on me. And thank goodness for that!
    ^^^^^ This. And once you own up to that truth, it becomes somewhat difficult to listen to all the "articles" that make it easier for people to avoid owning up to that.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    i got fat because my calories that I was inputting (read eating) were FAR more than my calories I was outputting...(read exercising)

eating because I was called a name was an excuse to not take responsibility...

eating because I was sad was an excuse to not take responsibility...

i WAS fat....i WAS hugely fat....(LOOK AT MY TICKER FOR CRYING OUT LOUD)

choosing to eat made me fatter....

not those people...and I refuse to give them that power...

and I ALWAYS knew from day one that it was me and I was failing me....

it did however take me a damn long time to realise that shrugging my shoulders and saying "oh well, I'm just going to fail at being thin" did not make me happy...

once I got that...really really got that....

I changed me.

only YOU will make you fatter, only YOU can make you thinner.

QFT
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Hi guys, don't mind me. I'm just here with some logic.

Correlation does not equal causation.

Succinctly put!