Do you eat Breakfast?

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Oh yea.....if you can't read my post above its because I don't eat breakfast and my metabolism shut down and I died so I'm actually a ghost.

I thought that happened when you at protein, carbs, and fat at the same time..?
  • xcatsaxon
    xcatsaxon Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I used to eat cereal...this week I did what my dietician instructed and started eating high protein 400 calorie breakfast and I've lost 2 lbs. So maybe there is some truth to it.
    I like the Jimmy Dean egg white breakfast with Canadian bacon and cheese and pair it with chocolate soy drink and some fruit. I'm not hungry again til late in the day!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I used to eat cereal...this week I did what my dietician instructed and started eating high protein 400 calorie breakfast and I've lost 2 lbs. So maybe there is some truth to it.
    I like the Jimmy Dean egg white breakfast with Canadian bacon and cheese and pair it with chocolate soy drink and some fruit. I'm not hungry again til late in the day!

so you can eat breakfast and consume more total calories then you burn and still lose weight?

You lost weight because you have been eating in a deficit, not because you changed your breakfast habits...
  • shortmomma81
    Options
    I hate breakfast! I eat when I'm hungry :-)
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    I break my fast between 12 noon and 1pm... anything before that is in a coffee cup... I feel better eating in a smaller window of time, usually between noon and 7pm... don't let the ridiculous breakfast myths fool you...
  • Babygi6003
    Babygi6003 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast before work but I plan it into my calories for the day and I don't feel that it causes me to be hungrier during the day
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I eat dinner at 5:00, so by breakfast time, I am HUNGRY and eat. I was going to try IF until I realize I was ALREADY doing it. :-)
  • malleron
    malleron Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Like some other commenters, I get amazingly ill if I skip breakfast. Indeed, since I work out early in the morning most days, I usually have two breakfasts -- a very small one (about 250 cals) before workout, and then a bigger one post workout (about 600 cals). That keeps me from feeling like I'm starving which in turn keeps me from eating everything in sight at lunch & dinner. It also helps keep me from feeling dragged out & hurting after I work out. Generally, my personal rule of thumb is to load up on breakfast and then have smaller meals during the day. Lunch is usually around 300-400 cals & dinner (if I have it) is around the same. The key for me is to keep my calories a little bit above my BMR. So far it's been working -- I'm losing weight over time & not feeling tortured while I do it.
  • SwellyStyles
    Options
    If it fits into my daily schedule definitely. I usually wake up around 5:30AM, drink water and a cup or two of coffee and then I go for a run. After that is usually when I eat breakfast if I have the time. If not, I'll get a little something on my stomach like a banana or an english muffin with some peanut butter. I love breakfast and when I do eat it I find I can go longer without feeling starved before I eat lunch or my first snack of the day, it's all personal preference, it won't make you fat to eat breakfast or any skinnier to eat it the most important thing is getting the amount of calories in your day to reach your goal whether that be weight loss/weight gain or maintenance!
  • funsteps
    funsteps Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I never ate breakfast through high school and college. Now on work days I'll make two pieces of Healthy Life flaxseed bread with a tiny bit of butter and I take 1-2 cups of berries to munch on during the morning at work. I was never a morning person but I feel this gives me more energy for the first few hours of work. My days off are a little more touch and go. Sometimes I skip breakfast completely, sometimes I'll make a smoothie, sometimes I'll make turkey bacon and eggs and toast.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I usually eat something in the morning hours unless I get up later in the morning or closer to lunch. I'll either eat cereal with almond/coconut milk or yogurt with granola. I'll also eat my dessert for breakfast which is usually a half cup or cup of ice cream.
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I have to eat breakfast and have a cup of coffee within an hour of waking up or I get a stomach ache. But that's just me.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I had breakfast all my life, believing it was the most important meal of the day. I believed that for more than half a century...lol.
    Then I found out that it does not really matter how we distribute our meals.
    Four month ago I switched to 18:6 IF and have never looked back. I no longer roam the house at night to find something to eat, I no longer take all that time to prepare anywhere from 4-6 meals( to supposedly keep my metabolism at an even keel ). These days I have coffee when I feel like it and on five days I eat 18:6 with two meals and on two days I eat 5:2 with just one meal at night using all my 500 calories. I have never felt physically better, have more time outside of my full time job to do the things I like, my shopping list is streamlined....and I like it !
    I love all the savory breakfast foods ( and abhor the sweet ones and bacon, sorry ) and just eat them later instead of early in the morning.
    And I have lost 33 pounds since April 10th this year.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    breakfast is pretty important really.. after sleeping for 6-8 hours, your body hasn't received any nutrients.. and eating as soon as possible after waking up will jump start your metabolism. and you may even consume less calories during lunch.

on the other hand, if you don't eat breakfast and when lunch time comes you might just reach for whatever it is available to satisfy your hunger..

just my thoughts. feel free to intervene and correct me if i'm wrong.
    Of course you body receives nutrients while you sleep. It gets them from what the body has stored. They don't magically reappear because you just ate breakfast. Metabolism is always working. If not, you'd be dead. When "lunch" comes, I'm able to have a big one because of not eating breakfast.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JusticeGirl25
    JusticeGirl25 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I do eat breakfast mainly because I eat a late lunch every day at work.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast but after a lot of research I've started to do so. Studies show that eating breakfast jump starts your metabolism and helps your body burn more calories throughout the day. It's best to eat a high-protein breakfast (eggwhites, yogurt, nuts) to help you feel full longer. Studies have also shown that people who eat a high protein breakfast are more likely to eat better during the day.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/29/can-eat-late-and-still-lose-weight/
    From the article:

However, if you're not tallying your total daily calories—balancing a big breakfast with a smaller lunch and dinner—eating a lot first thing in the morning could cause you to take in too many calories, and subsequently put on weight.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/06/29/can-eat-late-and-still-lose-weight/#ixzz2c6VqHLdR

There is so much correlation with no links to actual studies, it's just opinion. It's about calorie intake. How you get them in or by how many meals doesn't matter.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hollie, here is what I have learned over the years. If dinner is the last thing you had at night, then your body is doing something with that food and calories. All night long it is still doing its job, does not know if it is a weekend, etc. the only thing it knows that it is looking for something to eat, because your body it still working all night long. First thing it looks for is protein and that is going to come from muscle and it storing the fat and turning the carbs into sugar for storage, because it needs to be fed. Ok now you wake up in the morning and you expect your engine to take off and be revved up, but you have not given it any fuel to burn, so it going to good storage and still storing fat, because you are starving it and it is holding on to everything you have given it. If you feed it protein in the morning, now it has fuel to burn and get the engines burning fat and not muscle. energy is up and your Porsche body now has Premium fuel to make it perform.

Here is a little graphic that you can save for use in travels

ththExercisegirl.gif
    WUT?

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I normally try to eat breakfast everyday unless I'm in a rush. Just small meals. Like one egg and a fruit, or one bowl of oatmeal with fruit, etc. I've noticed that when I skip breakfast, I eat larger quantities at one sitting later in the day... which I know is bad for my metabolism and ultimately my weight loss.
    Well, many eat that way now with no problem. It's not bad................it's just bad for you.

IDEA Fitness member
  • WenHurley
    WenHurley Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't eat breakfast until about 9-9:30 during the week if I do. I have an 1.5 hour commute to work and I usually wait until I get there to eat.

On the weekends, it depends on how late I sleep in. Some days, breakfast is at noon.
  • benol1
    benol1 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I know the popular answer is "You're SUPPOSED to eat breakfast!!!" but I have noticed on the days where I eat breakfast, I over eat the rest of the day. So not sure if it's coincidence or what. Curious if anyone has had good results NOT eating breakfast. Usually, all I want upon waking is coffee and water.

The overeating is probably related to what you are eating rather than eating breakfast itself.
    For breakfast I have 50g oats and 35g of sultanas or dried figs cooked in water and topped with about 40ml of soymilk and a black coffee.
    It satisfies me for a long time. If I get hungry during the day I have nuts and fresh fruit as snacks.
    kind regards,

Ben