August 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I definitely think it’s the heat. I keep reminding myself how wonderful it’s going to be to run in chilly weather again and how much faster I’ll be with all this extra blood pumping through my system!
  • RunnerGrl1982
    RunnerGrl1982 Posts: 412 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    @MaxT370 - Running newbie over here! Found this group a little late into the month but that's okay. I'm going to aim for 3 to 4 miles. That seems low but I think it's a good place to start. I've gone off the deep end and registered myself for the 2018 hot chocolate 15k in November.

Welcome!! And good luck with your training for the November race.
    @MegaMooseEsq - I started running last summer, mostly took the winter off, and have run 3-4 times a week since the end of April this year. I’d say I was feeling that mile-by-mile struggle on and off until about a month ago when I stopped trying to run ten-minute miles and dropped back to 11-12 mpm. Other than the occasional tempo or fartlek run I’ve just focused on distance and have been a lot happier and more comfortable. My pace is slowly increasing but I’m still slower on average than I was running in June, and that is okay with me!

Thanks for the insight. This speaks to me a lot right now. I think I'm trying too hard right now to run 10 minute miles when I should be continuing to comfortably run 11-12 minute miles instead. I'm internally competitive, so I'm always pushing myself, and some days I just have to try and keep telling myself not to constantly run hard...I need to let myself run easy days otherwise I could end up doing more harm than good in the long term.

@AlphaHowls You constantly amaze me the more I learn about your running and the distances you run. That's absolutely inspiring to run as many long distance as you do and on what seems to be a consistent basis! Thank you for sharing!
    @MobyCarp - I've either been running consistently or injured since August, 2011. After I became able to run for 30 minutes continually, the first mile was never a bear . . . until after I was able to run a marathon. Now, sometimes I just have to gut through that first mile till things feel right. This can be mitigated by extensive walking before I start running, but I don't always have the time for that.

Later miles were sometimes notably bearish until I learned to run easy in early 2014. I struggled with running slow enough to keep it easy for some time, didn't truly master that art until some time in 2015.

And even now, on the very humid days, every mile after the first hour can be a bear. This partly depends on how fast I run early. If my discipline for running easy is good, I can last longer than if I let myself run marathon pace early.

So, the generic advice to all new runners: If running every mile is a bear, you're probably running too fast. Slow down a little, maybe only 15 seconds a mile. It will make a big difference on your longer runs.

Controlling pace is a whole other topic; I didn't start to get good at that until 2015, and it's still a work in progress.

Thanks for this! I too find it hard to run slow and keep things at an easy pace...but that's my entire run in general. Sometimes I feel it's actually more taxing on my legs to run a slower, easy pace than it is a faster one. I'm not sure why, I honestly think I'm mentally psyching myself out there. Great advice provided!

@_nikkiwolf_ Thanks! I'm sorry you had a rough start to the day, the other day! I hope you are feeling a bit more back to normal now!

@biketheworld Thank you for sharing your own experience! That seems to be the common piece of advice, is let yourself go a bit slower, and it will all come together eventually.

@PastorVincent Sorry to hear about the crash. I'm glad to hear there were no injuries to any parties involved.

@Avidkeo Hope the icing is going well! Wishing you a speedy continued recovery. I'm not an expert on warm-ups for sure, but generally whatever my run distance is for the day, I'll do a warm-up of 20 - 30% of whatever distance I'm running for the day. Just something light and easy before starting in on my main run for the day. I also think it's a preferential thing as to what warm-ups work best for everyone. No two people are a like in their routine I imagine.

@garygse Thanks for sharing, and the advice is definitely helpful. You are amazing for waking up at 1:30 to get your running in. Just blown away really...

@noblsheep Very true! I agree, that the mental perception also plays a roll in that feeling, when you can push and keep getting through the rough patches.

@workaholic_nurse Any day without a treadmill = WIN! Nice going! :)

@Elise4270 Sending positive vibes your way!

@BruinsGal_91 Wow!

@jele30 Congrats on the 5K! And lovely photos!

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @runnergirl1982 thanks for that. I think i just need to add some dynamic stretches. And you are right, it's what suits you.

Sunday morning and I'm getting antsy. I just want to run. Grrrr. I still have a bit of pain but not much. I've been googling and keep getting conflicting advice about running with shin splints. I really think mine was the 3ts (too much, too fast, too soon) so in theory I should be OK to go out and take it gentle.

I think im going to do a gentle 3-5k run today and see how I go. If it makes it worse, I'll actually take the time off... Grrr so frustrating and confusing
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq I'm not doing enough lifting. Lucky if I manage once a week. I love lifting but I just can't be bothered atm.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom that is super cute!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,434 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom happy birthday! Skip looks like she is happy to be there. Cool bridge and the thought of her running over it and seeing y'all's lock makes me smile.
    @marisap2010 you did great. 17 miles is huge. It's not the 20 you planned on, but that is a good run. I too am anxious as hell to start training next month for my 1st full. But you can do it. Just don't push too hard, and remember this is supposed to be fun :s
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Rest day today before a 7 mile run tomorrow morning.

I just wanted to throw out a couple questions to everyone....how long have you all been running on a consistent basis, and how long had you been running before you noticed a significant difference in your pace/consistency? (by that, I mean - you don't feel like every mile is a bear to run - not necessarily speed)

We made it to Friday! Yip Yip! :) Hope everyone has a lovely day!

So you are probably not going to want to hear this...

I am at that stage of running where when my schedule/weather permits I run 50-70 miles a week (last few months have been a bear thanks to the job change and moving to a new town, but I will get back up there). I judge the max distance of a race I can run not by miles, but by hours. Half marathons are middle distance runs for me at best. I call anything less than 10 miles a "short run."

My 5k time is like 23 mins, my marathon time is like 3:50-4:10, so I am by no means a speed demon, but probably in the top 1/3rd or so for my age/gender. 2003 was when I had to turn my health around or die. Check my blog for that story ( pm me if you need the link, we are not allowed to post links to our own sites).

So yeah, I should be beyond this. BUT forget every mile, every single STEP requires me to push through. I have tried all kinds of shoes, barefoot, different gates, and so on. I have found somethings that help (tech fabric for clothing was a huge discovery, only second to BODY GLIDE - cream of the gods!) - but in the end, yes every mile is a bear. Whether I am running a 5k or an ultramarathon.

My blog has the details...
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Not much about this is about running so if you don't want to read about Skip I won't be insulted if you didn't read this ha ha:
    ...snip...
    By the way I heard her telling someone about MFP and she said "it's like having a bunch of aunts and uncles I never met. :smile:

:lol: I guess I have only been her uncle for about a year, but I love hearing y'all's stories!