August Self-Care Challenge

Options
twyla77
twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
July was another month of so many great self-care tips & stories, so let's do it again for August!

For the new joiners, here's what this challenge is all about!

We're all here on MFP to improve our physical health & strengthen our bodies, but what about working on our mental health? As indulgent as the term "self-care" sounds, it really is an important way to help prevent "overload burnout" as well as reduce the negative effects of every day stress.

I'm committing to 1 act of self-care every day of August! These acts don't have to be costly or time consuming, just little things that I can work into my regular schedule to help me feel good mentally while I work on feeling good physically!

If anyone wants to join this challenge please do - if you want to log in daily or a few times over the month to comment/share what you're up to, that would be great - the more ideas the better, because not everyone feels the same about certain things - some people might consider a day at the spa getting a pedicure and facial relaxing, but to me that would be a stressful afternoon! To each their own, this isn't about what's right or what's wrong, it's about what makes YOU feel good!

A few ideas from blogs, articles & friends to get started:
*try a new recipe
*say no to something without feeling guilty / realize the benefits of saying no to some things
*declutter your wardrobe / donate some items of clothing that you haven't worn or no longer fit
*get up out of your office chair and go for a walk (outdoors if possible!)
*start a puzzle
*tell yourself a body positive affirmation such as "I love _______ about my body because it makes me feel special & unique."
*go for a bike ride to nowhere in particular, just for fun! Not to get your Fitbit number up, but just because you feel like it.
*clean up your work area / desk
*unplug for a few hours and enjoy a cup of tea and a book
*buy a drugstore face-mask and a fun nail polish and have a DIY pampering session
*watch a TEDtalk about something you're interested in, or something you'd like to learn more about
*diffuse some uplifting essential oils

Anyways, even if you don't join the daily challenge, I hope you still take a bit of time in August to do something great, just for yourself! You deserve it!

Replies

• PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 2,937 Member
    Options
    @twyla77, thanks for starting a new thread. I'm sorry you're going through a difficult time.

I've started my "One Difficult Thing" planner, and it's going quite well. Lots of smiley-faced stickers. However, I feel very up and down with my self-care. Today was the sort of day where I really felt I was my own worst enemy. More self-abuse than self care.

However, I did finish actually reading (as opposed to listening to while driving) a very good novel. It's been a long time, so I feel good about that.

I hope we all have a positive August! 🌼
  • DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I'm in! My life is all over the place right now, so a self-care reminder sounds great! :smiley:

And I'm going to kick it off today with the two TEDtalks I just watched about delaying/preventing Alzheimers! They were quite interesting if anyone else wants to check them out:

https://www.ted.com/talks/wendy_suzuki_the_brain_changing_benefits_of_exercise#t-770996

https://www.ted.com/talks/lisa_genova_what_you_can_do_to_prevent_alzheimer_s#t-824215
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    I’m in, too. I love this thread. It’s positive and motivating. It’s also a reminder to have a little fun every single day. And don’t take life too seriously even though it can drag you down. @DeserveVictory I look forward to these TED talks. My Dad is slipping a little bit and it’s hereditary. So, we can all use this advice.

Today, self care: Can’t think of anything for today.
    But tomorrow, I will go to my therapist, get my hair cut and colored and end the day with my painting class. That’s 12 hours of self care.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,832 Member
    Options
    I'm in. Watched a show I enjoy and kept my cookie servings at what I put out
  • Hardison54
    Hardison54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, All, joining the challenge today! Have a great day!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    This morning I did a new drawing, and at lunchtime I bought a white ink pen to use to draw on black paper.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,013 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Went into my art studio, read a bit of an art book (randomly picked page), conceived of an art idea, and worked on it three times for a total of 2.5 hours. Verrry fun!!! Finally, I did it!!
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I'm in. This is my focus for August too, I have a dissertation to write! So I'm trying to find some balance in my life and as a therapist (Counsellor) self-care is really important, so my plan is to do yoga daily (I choose to do Yoga with Adriene -free videos on YouTube), Headspace (mindfulness) and something creative each day!

So far today I've done my yoga and Headspace... :)
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    @Orphia I loooove using white pens on black paper!

• Arekha
    Arekha Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    i'm in...need this
  • DeserveVictory
    Options
    HatherM wrote: »
    I'm in. This is my focus for August too, I have a dissertation to write! So I'm trying to find some balance in my life and as a therapist (Counsellor) self-care is really important, so my plan is to do yoga daily (I choose to do Yoga with Adriene -free videos on YouTube), Headspace (mindfulness) and something creative each day!

@HatherM I just got the Headspace app but haven’t used it yet! Has it been useful for you? Are there any specific sessions you’d recommend?
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Told myself to write a minute a day (to get me started) & wrote happily for 40 mins! I left it wide open to further insure my success (hopefully): Journal, ideas, thoughts, even fiction or things I learned, found quotes...
    Why am I writing? Because although I resist it, I gain deep insights.

I’m learning again that the hardest part for me is beginning!!
  • Orphia
    Options
    Told myself to write a minute a day (to get me started) & wrote happily for 40 mins! I left it wide open to further insure my success (hopefully): Journal, ideas, thoughts, even fiction or things I learned, found quotes...

Awesome!

That reminds me of Hemingway. He said/wrote in A Moveable Feast to always finish at a point where you know how to go on.
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options

Have you heard of Julie Cameron who has a book called The Artist’s Way? She encourages daily journaling- she calls them morning pages. You may want to read her blog / an excerpt. Sounds like you are doing the same thing as she recommends.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »

Awesome!

That reminds me of Hemingway. He said/wrote in A Moveable Feast to always finish at a point where you know how to go on.
    RubyRed427 wrote: »

Have you heard of Julie Cameron who has a book called The Artist’s Way? She encourages daily journaling- she calls them morning pages. You may want to read her blog / an excerpt. Sounds like you are doing the same thing as she recommends.

Thank you @Orphia and @RubyRed427 !!
    Great advice!
  • Orphia
    Options
    twyla77 wrote: »
    i was gifted a bottle of wine today for a favor i did for a friend, but since i’m trying to drink less alcohol in August i re-gifted that bottle of wine to my landlord because she has had a rough time lately! Saw her & her brother enjoying a glass of it on their balcony when i went on my walk later!

Well done! I know that would make me feel good too.
  • HatherM
    Options

@HatherM I just got the Headspace app but haven’t used it yet! Has it been useful for you? Are there any specific sessions you’d recommend?

@DeserveVictory I have found it really useful. I choose different packs & also dip in and out of the singles too. I've not been 100% consistent with it, I've done a couple of packs or a pack completely and left it for a week or month, but I always go back to it & notice a big difference when doing it daily. I'm much more resilient :smile:

I'd start with the Basics 1- 3 as this is the foundation for all the others, I like the creativity one, but they're all good, just different, so depends what you want it for, or just try different ones out :smile: . I started with 10 minute practices and now I'm up to 15 minutes.

Singles I like are Early Mornings, Sleeping, End of day, I do this with my hubby twice a week after work to help us both unwind.
  • HatherM
    Options
    Well I managed to create something yesterday... There was no aim but I took some time to do something :smile:
    Today I've managed my Yoga & Headpace, so that was a good start to my morning :smiley:
  • DeserveVictory
    edited August 2018
    Options

@DeserveVictory I have found it really useful. I choose different packs & also dip in and out of the singles too. I've not been 100% consistent with it, I've done a couple of packs or a pack completely and left it for a week or month, but I always go back to it & notice a big difference when doing it daily. I'm much more resilient :smile:

I'd start with the Basics 1- 3 as this is the foundation for all the others, I like the creativity one, but they're all good, just different, so depends what you want it for, or just try different ones out :smile: . I started with 10 minute practices and now I'm up to 15 minutes.

Singles I like are Early Mornings, Sleeping, End of day, I do this with my hubby twice a week after work to help us both unwind.

@HatherM Thanks for the great review! I’m excited to start using it! Maybe that’ll be my self-care for today!