August Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• DeserveVictory
    DeserveVictory Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Yesterday my sister and I went out of town to do a 8km hike by one of the local lakes. It feels so good to have taken a break from everything and gotten out into nature again!

I’m listening to the audio book The Nature Fix by Florence Williams right now. I highly recommend it and a good walk in a park if anyone is feeling down, out of sorts, or unmotivated!
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Spent some extra time at the gym stretching this morning - I usually don't bother because I just want to get out of there, but it actually was really nice!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Did more of my third Future Learn course this year. Nearly finished. This one is from Purdue University, called:

"Brain and Behaviour - Regulating Body Weight".

Fascinating to learn about the hormonal, genetic, and environmental factors that might affect an individual's weight.
  • Hardison54
    Hardison54 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Declutter my closet (phase 1) and took items to the donation site. Took a long walk and a caught up on some reading on a park bench. Today was a good day. B)
  • RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,186 Member
    Options
    Made a big salad with veggies and kale. Ate it outside on the deck while reading USA Today newspaper. I never read actual newspapers but I enjoyed turning the pages. Listened to the birds.
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    Went on a walk to get my protein ice cream and colored with the kid
  • HatherM
    HatherM Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Did more of my third Future Learn course this year. Nearly finished. This one is from Purdue University, called:

Fascinating to learn about the hormonal, genetic, and environmental factors that might affect an individual's weight.

@Orphia Wow that sounds really interesting :smile:
  • HatherM
    Options
    HatherM wrote: »
    I'm in. This is my focus for August too, I have a dissertation to write! So I'm trying to find some balance in my life and as a therapist (Counsellor) self-care is really important, so my plan is to do yoga daily (I choose to do Yoga with Adriene -free videos on YouTube), Headspace (mindfulness) and something creative each day!

So far today I've done my yoga and Headspace... :)

@HatherM I just got the Headspace app but haven’t used it yet! Has it been useful for you? Are there any specific sessions you’d recommend?

@DeserveVictory I have found it really useful. I choose different packs & also dip in and out of the singles too. I've not been 100% consistent with it, I've done a couple of packs or a pack completely and left it for a week or month, but I always go back to it & notice a big difference when doing it daily. I'm much more resilient :smile:

I'd start with the Basics 1- 3 as this is the foundation for all the others, I like the creativity one, but they're all good, just different, so depends what you want it for, or just try different ones out :smile: . I started with 10 minute practices and now I'm up to 15 minutes.

Singles I like are Early Mornings, Sleeping, End of day, I do this with my hubby twice a week after work to help us both unwind.

@HatherM Thanks for the great review! I’m excited to start using it! Maybe that’ll be my self-care for today!

@DeserveVictory let me know how you get on :smile:
  • Orphia
    Options

@HatherM It sure is.

Here's a link to it:

https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/body-weight/4/todo/32644

It's free (but you can pay to upgrade to unlimited access to it, and a certificate upon completion) and is a 3 week course.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,045 Member
    Options
    Aug 2
    Got a pesky errand done!
    Worked on my art piece!
    Watched a funny movie!!
  • HatherM
    Options

@HatherM It sure is.

Here's a link to it:

It's free (but you can pay to upgrade to unlimited access to it, and a certificate upon completion) and is a 3 week course.

@Orphia Thank you so much :smiley:
  • twyla77
    twyla77 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    A lady at the coffee shop below my office gave me a stick of Palo Santo wood the other day, so i lit it and ‘smudged’ my apartment. I need some uplifting around here, and this stuff is supposed to be very healing. Finding the scent quite calming and peaceful.

‘‘Burn palo santo sticks or use the charcoal for ritual smudging that will welcome creativity, love, and good fortune into your space. The wood can help brighten energy and promote feelings of positivity and joy. The scent is also shown to reduce stress and anxiety, and enhance clarity and concentration.’’
  • Orphia
    Options

@HatherM It sure is.

Here's a link to it:

@Orphia Thank you so much :smiley:

It's so interesting! Learning a lot about biology.

I should add: I'm nearly finished and not sure if it's going to go into the psychology of and methods of losing weight.

For that, I'd recommend reading the Announcements here at MFP in the General and Getting Started forums.
  • HatherM
    Options
    Yesterday's plans didn't go the way I expected, instead of an afternoon of doing uni work I had family come over to visit, much more pleasant :smile: Today I really must spend the afternoon doing uni work though, but before that plenty of yoga and mindfulness to set me up for the day :smiley:
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,045 Member
    Options
    Aug 3
    Reading happily :)
  • kahlan84
    kahlan84 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just found this so I'll be starting tomorrow. This is definitely something I could do a lot better with
  • pjmfitforme
    pjmfitforme Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Yesterday i downloaded a meditation app and did 8 minutes of meditation. It was amazing how calm I felt after it
  • Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,845 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Went to sprouts yesterday to get something new, so today we'll be eating dinosaur egg pluots and roasting radishes