August Self-Care Challenge

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Amazing work. I am amazed at the way you capture a face and texture of hair with your drawing; It’s such a vivid drawing of her. Great drawing. Xo
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    When to fabric store, let lord at all the fabric, buttons, etc. Perused the pattern books!!! Wrote down the ones I liked for Labor Day Sale :)

Met two very inspiring ladies (Mom 82 & daughter 60, one of 14 troubled foster teens the Mom raised (and still is for a few of them.) A really wonderful time. Daughter has lost 30lbs in last 2 months (gastric band), and was there to make some smaller clothes, like me :)

Bought two books on fashion illustration/art. SUPER EXCITED!!!! And a beautiful button for a “thin” jacket of mine!!

This is awesome!!

I did my first fashion drawing in years the other day. I'm gearing up to start making my own patterns again, and sewing.

I used to do that all the time, but work and parenting were my excuse, plus we had no fabric store left in town.

Now my son has left home, and I work part time, and a new fabric store has opened, I don't have an excuse!

I hope to "play" more with some drawing, and browse online for some design and illustration inspiration, which I did the other day.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @twyla77 Thanks for the new thread ! I really enjoy everyone’s ideas - hope this month brings you more relaxation and time for the things you love to do.
  • donimfp
    donimfp Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    @Orphia, thanks for sharing your amazing work. I’m in awe of such talent.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,076 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427, your painting is beautiful! I love your usage of colors and the way you captured the movement.

Looking forward to more paintings in the future.
  • PKM0515
    PKM0515 Posts: 3,076 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    Now my son has left home, and I work part time, and a new fabric store has opened, I don't have an excuse!

All the stars are in alignment!
  • kzzr
    kzzr Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Any chance there will be a September thread? I just got here.
    Todays self-care was the boxing at the gym (i consider boxing mental therapy as well as physical) and later tonight I have scheduled some RPG gaming time with my wonderful partner, I get to snuggle on the couch and kill the bad guys, W00t!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,446 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427! I love the way you have captured the movement of the clothes on the line.
    @Orphia Potraits can be difficult, but this is good way of getting the proportion accurate.

I'm moving over to the September thread. See you there.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,140 Member
    Options
    When to fabric store, let lord at all the fabric, buttons, etc. Perused the pattern books!!! Wrote down the ones I liked for Labor Day Sale :)

Met two very inspiring ladies (Mom 82 & daughter 60, one of 14 troubled foster teens the Mom raised (and still is for a few of them.) A really wonderful time. Daughter has lost 30lbs in last 2 months (gastric band), and was there to make some smaller clothes, like me :)

Bought two books on fashion illustration/art. SUPER EXCITED!!!! And a beautiful button for a “thin” jacket of mine!!

This is awesome!!

I did my first fashion drawing in years the other day. I'm gearing up to start making my own patterns again, and sewing.

I used to do that all the time, but work and parenting were my excuse, plus we had no fabric store left in town.

I hope to "play" more with some drawing, and browse online for some design and illustration inspiration, which I did the other day.

@Orphia
    I think we may be twins separated at birth :)
    We are on the same page. I have made patterns in the long past. I read there is software to generate patterns now...

Very excited to explore this with you.

Spent time tonight watching YT videos on altering jackets to make them smaller!! Have one I’ll work on tomorrow!! I also gave 3 large jackets with lovely fabric that I am going to work to transform into slightly wrapped “coat-inspired dresses” EXCITED!
  • donimfp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 and @Orphia, you guys are like alien creatures to me! My last experience sewing was in 8th grade "home ec" when I was forced to make a stupid sundress which earned me a grade of C (out of the teacher's pity) and then fell into all its pieces once it hit the washing machine.

My plan for when I reach my ultimate weight-loss goal is to buy a DVF wrap dress, but if I were as clever as you two, I could just make myself one. I really admire that talent!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    donimfp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 and @Orphia, you guys are like alien creatures to me! My last experience sewing was in 8th grade "home ec" when I was forced to make a stupid sundress which earned me a grade of C (out of the teacher's pity) and then fell into all its pieces once it hit the washing machine.

My plan for when I reach my ultimate weight-loss goal is to buy a DVF wrap dress, but if I were as clever as you two, I could just make myself one. I really admire that talent!!

@donimfp
    Wrap dress, for the win!!
    Well, we’ll see. My MO is few pieces of clothing sewn, but very nicely ... but I’m excited to deactivate a former hobby! I actually stopped sewing awhile back because it vecame more expensive then purchasing store bought clothing...
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I actually stopped sewing awhile back because it vecame more expensive then purchasing store bought clothing...

@MadisonMolly2017 Ditto this, my twin!! :smile:

Yes, it's so much cheaper buying online these days.

But there are still some things I can't find that I want to design and make.

Have you found any good online fabric stores? I couldn't find exactly what I was after in our shop in town.

In particular, ponte fabric. But would also like to see what else is out there.

• Idontcareyoupick
    Idontcareyoupick Posts: 2,854 Member
    Options
    Making soup!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I actually stopped sewing awhile back because it vecame more expensive then purchasing store bought clothing...

@MadisonMolly2017 Ditto this, my twin!! :smile:

Yes, it's so much cheaper buying online these days.

But there are still some things I can't find that I want to design and make.

Have you found any good online fabric stores? I couldn't find exactly what I was after in our shop in town.

In particular, ponte fabric. But would also like to see what else is out there.

@Orphia
    Not yet, but I will definitely pass on the fabric stores I find!! Actually, I believe Britex in SF does web sales & their selection is Massive & high quality.

Here’s the search results for “ponte” which looks super nice!! They have four.

What will you make?

https://www.britexfabrics.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Ponte

Spent today sketching designs & then making an accurate croquis” for my current shape. This is helping me greatly to get in touch with my actual, current shape!! I made a bunch of copies & now can sketch away & get s better idea of how they will look on me!

Also studying my books & working to incorporate what I learn into my sketches...

From JoAnn Fabrics or Michael’s:
    “fabulous figures” by Jane Davenport
    “Sketch Your Style: A Guided Sketchbook for Drawing Your Dream Wardrobe” by Robin Nield.
    “Fashion Illustration: Inspiration and Technique” by Anna Kiper

Have fun, my Twin!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Sep 3 Self-Care
    Prepped all veggies & made kitchen cleaner & more beautiful!!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Yesterday I worked hard to make two different healthy soups for the week for lunches -
    Tomato soup (where I roasted the tomatoes first) and potato soup with kielbasa. It took about three hours to do but it was satisfying. I also put aside some for my parents and elderly aunt.
  • donimfp
    Options
    Soup-making is one of my favorite things to do! For the last 3 Christmases I’ve gifted my mom a different homemade soup every Sunday for 8 weeks. We both love it.
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Lots of art! Lots of exercise!
    Some beautification of formerly decluttered areas!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,446 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    😎 Wrong thread! Lol!