Calorie Counter

Message Boards Recipes
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• nighthawk584nighthawk584 Member Posts: 1,978 Member Member Posts: 1,978 Member
    Ground turkey taco salad ...with avocado, light sour cream, shredded mexican cheese, light ranch dressing, cherry tomatoes and mild taco bell sauce....yum! 430 calories
    e55l54o6neze.jpeg
    edited October 20
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 5,546 Member Member Posts: 5,546 Member
    Slacker16 wrote: »
    I only post in this thread when I make a disaster, lol.

Anyway, I made some stew last night and it turned out pretty bad. The vegetables are fine, the sauce... eh, I used canned tomato sauce because I'm lazy so it's pretty sugary and nasty, but the seasonings, dill and garlic I added mostly balance it out so it's okay.

But the meat is just... not good. The acidity didn't break it down nearly as much as it should have, the seasonings didn't seep in at all and the meat wasn't the best quality to begin with. In short, it tastes like bland, tough, boiled low-grade beef :s

Not sure what went wrong... Pork usually treats me better than beef but it's harder to find stew pork meat. Here's hoping it'll improve as leftovers...

Don't worry, all of us have cooking disasters--I've had too many to count. They are all learning experiences. Have you looked up on internet how to stew beef? I'm having fun and learning from all the videos and recipes out there. Try again. Don't give up.
  • acpgeeacpgee Member Posts: 5,452 Member Member Posts: 5,452 Member

Anyway, I made some stew last night and it turned out pretty bad. The vegetables are fine, the sauce... eh, I used canned tomato sauce because I'm lazy so it's pretty sugary and nasty, but the seasonings, dill and garlic I added mostly balance it out so it's okay.

But the meat is just... not good. The acidity didn't break it down nearly as much as it should have, the seasonings didn't seep in at all and the meat wasn't the best quality to begin with. In short, it tastes like bland, tough, boiled low-grade beef :s

Not sure what went wrong... Pork usually treats me better than beef but it's harder to find stew pork meat. Here's hoping it'll improve as leftovers...

It's hard to find really good quality, well marbled stewing meat. My hubby likes shin for making curries. If good stewing meats are hard to find in the shops near you, consider investing in a sous vide machine. The modern ones are a staff maybe 12 inches long and 2 inches thick that you stick into a pasta pan full of water. They only take as much room to store as a hand blender. Great for rescuing tough cuts of meat. Turns crap cuts like eye of round into a nice roast and lean tough cuts into good stews if you don't mind it going for a few hours.
    Starter of salad of grilled pineapple and red onion with a little mint. Main was my first attempt at pho from scratch.
    rf58b4ybihv1.jpeg
    ffwhdfjy4lk9.jpeg
  • senalay788senalay788 Member Posts: 257 Member Member Posts: 257 Member
    Vegan. Simple. Delish.
    Tubetti.
    edited October 21
  • snowflake954snowflake954 Member Posts: 5,546 Member Member Posts: 5,546 Member
    Basmatic rice w wilted radicchio, Speck (salty dry ham sliced thin), EVOO, white wine and black pepper.ia5e6g4fej79.jpg
  • DancingMoosieDancingMoosie Member Posts: 6,168 Member Member Posts: 6,168 Member
    Meal prep:
    d0kizvofu2dd.jpg
    Lasagna and mixed vegetables.
  • Southernfit87Southernfit87 Member Posts: 39 Member Member Posts: 39 Member
    Chicken and sausage gumbo!
    Leftovers for lunch. Last night's rice was converted to congee. Leftover stir fried choi sam and vegan mongolian beef made with seitan.
    v6o2kjrufu9m.jpeg
    Pasta w white beans.l80c139mo72c.jpg
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 11,689 Member Member Posts: 11,689 Member
    Brekkie Center cut pork chops, grits with a tad of cheddar, eggs and homemade sourdough biscuits with a starter from the Kenai Penisula that's been in my family for 120 years.
  • Slacker16Slacker16 Member Posts: 1,129 Member Member Posts: 1,129 Member

Since people gave a lot of support :) I figured I'd give an update.

Tuesday night, I figured that if I'm going to eat trash, I might as well eat overcooked trash and simmered it for another hour and a bit, and that... really improved it. The meat was still bland but at least it was tender and a bit more flavourful because all the fat had melted nicely. The sauce improved as well, though some of the vegetables became mushier than I like.

So... like @snowflake954 said, a learning experience. And I'll have plenty of chances to learn more, still have a kilo of the meat left in the freezer, lol.
    Leftovers management at my place. Tagliata di manzo made from last night's leftovers for lunch. I roasted off some potato in the air fryer to go with that.
    rbtztfaajpct.jpeg

• AlexandraFindsHerself1971AlexandraFindsHerself1971 Member Posts: 1,602 Member Member Posts: 1,602 Member
    Last night's dinner was beef and bean and cheese enchiladas. They were popular, and suffered the fate of the popular. (grin) I don't like enchilada sauce so I had a taco salad. But it was tasty and filling.
  • Southernfit87Southernfit87 Member Posts: 39 Member Member Posts: 39 Member
    Today cooked 2 shrimp and crab pies the winter bulk is coming on strong hahaha
  • Diatonic12Diatonic12 Member Posts: 11,689 Member Member Posts: 11,689 Member
    I roasted a turkey because seems more like Christmas than October. Turkey and roasted vegetables.
    Copycat KFC dinner using the Chicago Tribune recipe for the 11 herbs and spices. Lightened it up by using the air fryer. Copycat coleslaw was lightened by replacing half the mayo with yoghurt. Cornmeal coated okra was done in the air fryer too. Copycat Kraft dinner made with cheddar cheese powder I bought online. Honey mustard was the condiment for chicken.
    ljvw3d3le6dj.jpeg

• gutzbgongutzbgon Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    @acpgee does it taste like KFC chicken? I'm in Australia and that's the first time I've seen that recipe after I looked it up.
    gutzbgon wrote: »
    @acpgee does it taste like KFC chicken? I'm in Australia and that's the first time I've seen that recipe after I looked it up.

The Chicago Tribune spice recipe is very close, although less salty. I ran the dried herbs through the food processor because real KFC is spotted with black flecks which I suspect are the dried herbs ground to a powder. I made up the spice mixture minus the flour to keep in the pantry. For coating 3 thighs mix a tablespoon of the spice mixture with a tablespoon of potato starch and 2 tablespoons of cornmeal. I think cornmeal gives a crunchier crust than the flour called for in the Chicago Tribune recipe.

I marinate the chicken pieces overnight in watered down yoghurt (buttermilk is traditional but hard to find in the UK, where I am) and I salt the marinade heavily to compensate for the spice mixture being less salty than real KFC. Before cooking I shake off excess marinade and toss chicken pieces with spice mixture in a plastic bag and shake to coat the chicken.

The spice mixture scorches easily so next time I will reduce the paprika. I did an experiment with each of the 11 herbs and spices in different compartments of a muffin tray. The paprika was the quickest to burn.