Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• Squishy_HSquishy_H Posts: 39Member, Premium Member Posts: 39Member, Premium Member
    Haven’t had this in a long time. Avocado toast with egg and hot sauce. qwwhubscew46.jpeg
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,131Member Member Posts: 4,131Member Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    acpgee wrote: »
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Have you heard of Spaghetti Napolitan? It's a Japanese spaghetti pan-fried with sausage, onion and bell pepper, and seasoned with ketchup. I know Ketchup! But it brings back childhood memories and kids digg it. I had a bad stomach so I only had a tiny serving but it hit the spot! ;)

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/7878-stir-fried-chicken-with-ketchup

wasn't ketchup (catsup) originally an asian sauce?

Not really. Ketjap is the Indonesian word for their sweet syrupy soy sauce. Tomatoes are New World.

Yes, I know tomatoes are New World. Heinz, I thought, back in the day, took an Asian thing, made it tomato-based, and voila, our present condiment. Well, thanks for the input.

It wouldn't surprise me if their starting were Indonesian ketjap. No tomato in ketjap but as sweet and almost as thick as modern ketchup. Check it out for yourself. ABC is the ubiquitous brand of Indonesian ketjap. Mix ketjap with sambal (chilli paste) to make an Indonesian dressing for tomato salad.
    Squishy_H wrote: »
    Have you heard of Spaghetti Napolitan? It's a Japanese spaghetti pan-fried with sausage, onion and bell pepper, and seasoned with ketchup. I know Ketchup! But it brings back childhood memories and kids digg it. I had a bad stomach so I only had a tiny serving but it hit the spot! ;)

I tried it when we first arrived in Japan. I’m not a fan but I also tried the traditional meat sauce spaghetti here and it’s amazing! I wasn’t a fan of spaghetti before we moved here either.

Let us know what is the traditional meat spaghetti is in Japan. I grew up wih the Chinese version of spaghetti bolognaise.

https://thewoksoflife.com/beijing-fried-sauce-noodles-zha-jiang-mian/
  • Squishy_HSquishy_H Posts: 39Member, Premium Member Posts: 39Member, Premium Member
    @acpgee What I mean by traditional meat sauce spaghetti is like what we are used to in the United States. They just make it better here, especially the noodles :)

[/quote]

Let us know what is the traditional meat spaghetti is in Japan. I grew up wih the Chinese version of

[/quote]

Was craving subway so made a salad instead. Spinach, iceberg, carrot, cabbage, pickles, cucumber, onion, provolone cheese, uncured salami, mayo mixed with oregano and black pepper 👍 bqh8mfqyqgvw.jpeg
  • DonM46DonM46 Posts: 764Member Member Posts: 764Member Member
    Spare ribs, mashed potatoes, green beans
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,272Member Member Posts: 7,272Member Member
    Gzik + roasted potatos + pickled red cabbage.
  • weatherking2019weatherking2019 Posts: 304Member Member Posts: 304Member Member
    Is this a good spaghetti Napolitan recipe? If not, please send a recommendation.

https://www.thespruceeats.com/spaghetti-napolitan-japanese-ketchup-pasta-2031629

I have been loving an abomination of spaghetti aglio olio, vietnamese style.

https://kirbiecravings.com/vietnamese-garlic-butter-noodles/

https://www.thespruceeats.com/spaghetti-napolitan-japanese-ketchup-pasta-2031629

Hows that? Give it a try!
  • duskyjewelduskyjewel Posts: 285Member Member Posts: 285Member Member
    Last night I baked fresh bratwurst in the oven while I fried up some potatoes lyonnaise and made homemade coleslaw (dressing mixed the night before).
  • Liftingat58Liftingat58 Posts: 508Member Member Posts: 508Member Member
    Pork chops cooked last night and had for lunch today!
  • FreddiJacksFreddiJacks Posts: 3Member Member Posts: 3Member Member
    Grilled marinated Tofu cutlet, basmati rice and lemon asparagus.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,272Member Member Posts: 7,272Member Member
    Pork kebabs, roasted baby potatos, tzatziki, greek salad.
  • weatherking2019weatherking2019 Posts: 304Member Member Posts: 304Member Member
    @mjbnj0001 those salad looks great!!

I didn't have lotta time last night. Dinner was Spinach salad with radish, cucumber, peppers with a Salmon pattie. Made a lemon vinaigrette for the dressing.
    Starter of melon, feta and mint drizzled with pomegranate molasses. Main of buccatini with mushroom and spinach sauce and a meatball. Finally got through that batch of tough meatballs from the freezer that needed warming up in a sauce. The Tesco 20% minced steak is a cut we won't be buying again.
    d67wj7jo8es1.jpeg
    ljclnavp79r9.jpeg

Doing a big cook tomorrow night for a dinner party at my place.

Starting with steamed globe artichokes and hollandaise.

Anti pasta of charcuterie and ryvita (one guest is coeliac). I made chicken liver pate and duck prosciutto in advance and I have some Spanish cured tuna (lomo de bonito) in the fridge. I pulled out a pack of lingonberry preserves from the freezer (supplied by family of a Swedish friend) which I will sweeten with mirin to have with the pate. Plan to buy some berries to nibble on with the duck prosciutto. Have toasted almonds for the cured tuna. The classic combination in Spain is thinly sliced cured tuna drizzled in olive oil and sprinkled with toasted almonds.

Main is Italo-American penne alla vodka. The coeliac is bringing his favourite gluten free pasta.

Dessert is my own invention of pina colada sorbet. Have been practicing quenelles which look pretty awful up to now but maybe by tomorrow night I will manage to make something look half way decent. Made coconut macaroons (half sugar, half Splenda) to accompany the sorbet. Will garnish of slivered kaffir lime leaf and toasted shredded coconut.
  • peachvine29peachvine29 Posts: 330Member Member Posts: 330Member Member
    A veggie stirfry with broccoli, zucchini, bell peppers, garlic, brown rice, olive oil, and soy sauce. Simple and DELISH!
  • LyndaBSSLyndaBSS Posts: 6,634Member, Premium Member Posts: 6,634Member, Premium Member
    Starter of melon, feta and mint drizzled with pomegranate molasses. Main of buccatini with mushroom and spinach sauce and a meatball. Finally got through that batch of tough meatballs from the freezer that needed warming up in a sauce. The Tesco 20% minced steak is a cut we won't be buying again.
    d67wj7jo8es1.jpeg
    ljclnavp79r9.jpeg

That green dish is stunning. Me want. 😍