Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

What was the last meal you cooked?

17475777980101

Replies

  • Squishy_HSquishy_H Posts: 39Member, Premium Member Posts: 39Member, Premium Member
    @weatherking2019 thanks! Your stir fry looks really good.

    Pork chops with corn and mashed potatoes. izn0p4vp4g9z.jpeg
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,228Member Member Posts: 4,228Member Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Monday evening (08/26): first day back from vacation, and "back on the plan": grilled lemon-pepper cod, grilled asparagus, rice, simple salad. Was in Ontario, Canada, and managed to avoid things such as poutine, beavertails and other caloric goodies, while getting in lots of activity. But did indulge in some ice cream occasionally, LOL.

    Pics:
    1. Monday dinner.
    2. biking along a greenbelt trail in Ottawa.

    I just got back from visiting my mom in Ottawa. I did eat a poutine, which wasn't worth the calories. What are beavertails?
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,244Member Member Posts: 3,244Member Member
    Sunday I made Carla Lalli Music's recipe for rack roasted chicken with potatoes (but without the gravy) and yesterday I made the pita recipe in Joan Nathan's cookbook King Solomon's Table, which I checked out on ebook from one of my local libraries.

    The pita is more reliable, in terms of a pocket than the recipe that I normally use, but it's not as flavorful and it's a bit more finicky. They do, however, have significantly fewer calories by virtue of the recipe calling for less flour by weight. I might make another batch next week and do the second rise overnight in the fridge which should help with flavor development.
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 670Member Member Posts: 670Member Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Monday evening (08/26): first day back from vacation, and "back on the plan": grilled lemon-pepper cod, grilled asparagus, rice, simple salad. Was in Ontario, Canada, and managed to avoid things such as poutine, beavertails and other caloric goodies, while getting in lots of activity. But did indulge in some ice cream occasionally, LOL.

    Pics:
    1. Monday dinner.
    2. biking along a greenbelt trail in Ottawa.

    I just got back from visiting my mom in Ottawa. I did eat a poutine, which wasn't worth the calories. What are beavertails?

    There's a beavertail shop in the Ottawa Byward Market. They are the love child of a doughnut and pancake, shaped like a beavertail (i.e., the head of a tennis racquet but elongated). Served as is, warm, often with toppings ranging from powdered sugar to maple glaze to whatever. Besides Byward, I take it they are available at other baked goods outlets.

    I agree with your observation on poutine. But I can't tell that to my daughter and her Canadian husband. It'd be sacrilege, LOL.
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 670Member Member Posts: 670Member Member
    aokoye wrote: »
    Sunday I made Carla Lalli Music's recipe for rack roasted chicken with potatoes (but without the gravy) and yesterday I made the pita recipe in Joan Nathan's cookbook King Solomon's Table, which I checked out on ebook from one of my local libraries.

    The pita is more reliable, in terms of a pocket than the recipe that I normally use, but it's not as flavorful and it's a bit more finicky. They do, however, have significantly fewer calories by virtue of the recipe calling for less flour by weight. I might make another batch next week and do the second rise overnight in the fridge which should help with flavor development.

    Try the Food Wishes pita method. Works OK. https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/04/pita-bread-whats-in-your-pocket.html
  • aokoyeaokoye Posts: 3,244Member Member Posts: 3,244Member Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »
    Sunday I made Carla Lalli Music's recipe for rack roasted chicken with potatoes (but without the gravy) and yesterday I made the pita recipe in Joan Nathan's cookbook King Solomon's Table, which I checked out on ebook from one of my local libraries.

    The pita is more reliable, in terms of a pocket than the recipe that I normally use, but it's not as flavorful and it's a bit more finicky. They do, however, have significantly fewer calories by virtue of the recipe calling for less flour by weight. I might make another batch next week and do the second rise overnight in the fridge which should help with flavor development.

    Try the Food Wishes pita method. Works OK. https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2013/04/pita-bread-whats-in-your-pocket.html

    Interesting recipe, thanks - it's dissimilar to the one I usually use in that all of the recipies I use don't call for essentially making a sponge. I generally don't have a whole lot of trouble getting my pita to puff up. I've been making it more or less all summer at this point, primarily using a recipe from America's Test Kitchen. It's somewhat similar to this one, but the only flour that's used is bread flour.

    The two most important things for creating a pocket seem to be how thin you roll it out and how moist the dough is. A very hot cooking environment is also very helpful - I typically cook them on a pizza stone in a 555F oven (as hot as my oven can go to). Sometimes I'll turn the convection on but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • whmscllwhmscll Posts: 2,164Member Member Posts: 2,164Member Member
    Fish tacos (baked) with arugula/watermelon/feta cheese salad sprinkled with a few pine nuts and topped with balsamic glaze. No pic, sorry.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,435Member Member Posts: 7,435Member Member
    Moroccan spiced shrimp with grilled zucchini and zoodles.
  • weatherking2019weatherking2019 Posts: 336Member Member Posts: 336Member Member
    uyjtd0ugjj75.jpg
    Last night was: Cauliflower mac and cheese with shrimp! Needed a quick but tasty dinner :)
  • debrakgooginsdebrakgoogins Posts: 1,821Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,821Member, Premium Member
    Unstuffed Cabbage Soup - I made a trip to the organic farm stand and went with a recipe that would use the veggies available.
  • hmhill17hmhill17 Posts: 203Member Member Posts: 203Member Member
    The last good meal? Roasted flat iron steak with petite gold potatoes and asparagus. The last good thing I cooked was grilled chicken schwarma. Last good thing I made was an edamame, green bean, dried cranberry and feta salad.
    I've had a whole lot of man that was disgusting the last week or so trying new things.
  • mjbnj0001mjbnj0001 Posts: 670Member Member Posts: 670Member Member
    Rain here in coastal NJ USA today means no grilling. Outside. Fallback meal: a stovetop, one-pot, chicken and rice dish with veggies. Recipe adapted from "Laura in the Kitchen," youtube.

    4ofxw56jl9ql.jpg
  • Squishy_HSquishy_H Posts: 39Member, Premium Member Posts: 39Member, Premium Member
    @acpgee Ooh did you make that pickled daikon radish or did you buy it? I am living in Japan now and just had daikon radish with sesame dressing, so good.


    Blue cheese burger over spinach with a side of cauliflower tots. 5jd2quus06xq.jpeg
    edited August 29
  • NoHookUpZoneNoHookUpZone Posts: 1,571Member, Premium Member Posts: 1,571Member, Premium Member
    Does reheat count? I put leftover cauliflower pizza in the air fryer. It was better the second time around
  • acpgeeacpgee Posts: 4,228Member Member Posts: 4,228Member Member
    Squishy_H wrote: »
    @acpgee Ooh did you make that pickled daikon radish or did you buy it? I am living in Japan now and just had daikon radish with sesame dressing, so good.

    The pickled daikon was store bought. When you have daikon with sesame dressing, is it just plain shredded radish? We've got some Japanese store bought sesame dressing I could use.
  • just_Tomekjust_Tomek Posts: 7,435Member Member Posts: 7,435Member Member
    Roasted whole trout, bbq cauliflower and pickles.
  • weatherking2019weatherking2019 Posts: 336Member Member Posts: 336Member Member
    Steak and Potatoes with left over Coleslaw was what's for dinner ;)
  • JennJ323JennJ323 Posts: 552Member Member Posts: 552Member Member
    sweet & sour chicken with peppers, onions and pineapple with an egg roll (store bought egg roll)

    4zmam987jflf.jpg
Sign In or Register to comment.