What was the last meal you cooked?

Options

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Vietnamese canh soup, Vietnamese roast aubergine salad, Mongolian beef, rice.
    ltqjck34jjkm.jpeg
  • OblivionPortal
    OblivionPortal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Brown rice with chickpeas, spinach and onion.
  • DudeistPriest
    DudeistPriest Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I recently received a diagnosis of diabetes so I've been doing A LOT more cooking. I've gotten a few cook books specializing in diabetic eating and have been trying a new recipe a day for the past couple of weeks. I live with my son and his kids and luckily have been 100% successful at preparing meals everybody likes!
    This morning was breakfast cassarole.
  • Kyle_AKA_Moose
    Kyle_AKA_Moose Posts: 1,051 Member
    Options

[/quote]

I gave you a "like" for the plate. My mother had a whole set of them. There's a Currier & Ives print of a winter scene under that steak. She got them before I was born, but I think they either came in boxes of powdered laundry soap or were one of those offers in the grocery store, where each week a different piece was offered at a really low price (I think the idea was that you would buy a few at ridiculously low prices, then you would be hooked and end up filling out your place settings at more normal prices). By the time I came along she had bought a different place-setting we used for everyday, but we brought the Currier & Ives out for holiday meals (probably in part because she had more place settings in that pattern, and at holidays my older siblings came with spouses and grandkids).

Thanks for setting off fond memories. [/quote]

Thank you for sharing that piece of history. I had no idea about some of that.
  • Kyle_AKA_Moose
    Kyle_AKA_Moose Posts: 1,051 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    eo6ileaf3jxy.jpg

I gave you a "like" for the plate. My mother had a whole set of them. There's a Currier & Ives print of a winter scene under that steak. She got them before I was born, but I think they either came in boxes of powdered laundry soap or were one of those offers in the grocery store, where each week a different piece was offered at a really low price (I think the idea was that you would buy a few at ridiculously low prices, then you would be hooked and end up filling out your place settings at more normal prices). By the time I came along she had bought a different place-setting we used for everyday, but we brought the Currier & Ives out for holiday meals (probably in part because she had more place settings in that pattern, and at holidays my older siblings came with spouses and grandkids).

Thanks for setting off fond memories.

• pessxx
    pessxx Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    spinach with peanut butter , fried chicken, noodles soup
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Pasta with mushrooms (frozen mixed medley--including porcini and chiodini), EVOO, garlic, red pepper flakes, vegetable broth, black pepper and white wine. Homemade fruit salad.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Grilled cheese and I burnt it.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,078 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Coronavirus Lockdown Sunday (2) Dinner: Beefaroni!! Old school meal, using old school ingredients (everything canned or jarred, except the onion and pasta, but including quality canned ground beef). Very good, actually. Low salt items keep it reasonable. MFP recipe builder calls a serving (shown) as approx. 351 cals, 28g protein, 10g fat, 36g carbs. Batch good for two meals for family, maybe a bit more. Plus a side of maple carrots (family favorite) to get to the bottom of the fridge stuff. Hopefully getting some fresh stuff delivery this week.

ag1kdrzmpas7.jpg

d8aqef258bli.jpg

• widgit808
    widgit808 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »
    Coronavirus Lockdown Sunday (2) Dinner: Beefaroni!! Old school meal, using old school ingredients (everything canned or jarred, except the onion and pasta, but including quality canned ground beef). Very good, actually. Low salt items keep it reasonable. MFP recipe builder calls a serving (shown) as approx. 351 cals, 28g protein, 10g fat, 36g carbs. Batch good for two meals for family, maybe a bit more. Plus a side of maple carrots (family favorite) to get to the bottom of the fridge stuff. Hopefully getting some fresh stuff delivery this week.

ag1kdrzmpas7.jpg

d8aqef258bli.jpg

I did not know ground beef came in cans....interesting.
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Ground beef in a can???? Never have I seen this, and I dont really want to TBH lol
    Please tell more.

I know you're in Canada from previous posts. So, we were visiting our daughter in Ottawa and got back just before the border crossing got complex with Coronavirus shutdown. That was fortunate. Unfortunately, we came back to the Grocery Panic here in NJ. Most fresh stuff was gone. So we went to alternate sources to fill in until the stores resupply (it's still a catch-as-catch-can situation; we are in higher-risk categories [age and issues] so we're doing the online thing - very frustrating). We had some prepper-y experience for sourcing items (food and nonfood) from being impacted by Superstorm Sandy a few years back (we're at the New Jersey shore).

Long story short, outdoor and provisioning-type stores have some of this. Amazon, too. Canadian Walmart and other outlets seem to be stocked more plentifully than here in the USA. This is "pure" beef - not Sloppy Joes, Chili or other prepared food things, although that's sort of the same idea. Those others are already seasoned meals in a can, and usually quite salty - more than we like. Admittedly, this kind of plain canned beef isn't as appealing, out of the can, as you'd like or might be accustomed to, LOL. But it "dresses up" pretty well in a decent recipe.

I took a quick look at Walmart Canada to see what they had before making this reply.
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/pantry-households-pets/canned-food-soup/canned-meat/N-3075

Also answer for widget808
  • mjbnj0001
    Options
    widgit808 wrote: »

I did not know ground beef came in cans....interesting.

see above reply to just_tomek

• weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Turkey sandwich for son.
    Toasted multigrain bread with mayo, lettuce, cucumber slices, tomato and turkey slices.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    Scarola (endive?) cooked in a non-stick frying pan, EVOO, garlic, black olives, and chopped almonds (supposed to use pine nuts, but I'm allergic) on toasted oatmeal pita pocket. Boiled eggs and homemade fruit salad.
  • sarahcollver
    sarahcollver Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Cheesy scrambled eggs whites and veggies
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options

Thanks for setting off fond memories. [/quote]

[/quote]

You're very welcome. And I'm wishing I had fresh strawberries to put on pancakes (social distancing for me = not shopping if not absolutely necessary). Maybe I could make a compote from frozen strawberries ...
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    just_Tomek wrote: »

Ground beef in a can???? Never have I seen this, and I dont really want to TBH lol
    Please tell more.

I know you're in Canada from previous posts. So, we were visiting our daughter in Ottawa and got back just before the border crossing got complex with Coronavirus shutdown. That was fortunate. Unfortunately, we came back to the Grocery Panic here in NJ. Most fresh stuff was gone. So we went to alternate sources to fill in until the stores resupply (it's still a catch-as-catch-can situation; we are in higher-risk categories [age and issues] so we're doing the online thing - very frustrating). We had some prepper-y experience for sourcing items (food and nonfood) from being impacted by Superstorm Sandy a few years back (we're at the New Jersey shore).

Long story short, outdoor and provisioning-type stores have some of this. Amazon, too. Canadian Walmart and other outlets seem to be stocked more plentifully than here in the USA. This is "pure" beef - not Sloppy Joes, Chili or other prepared food things, although that's sort of the same idea. Those others are already seasoned meals in a can, and usually quite salty - more than we like. Admittedly, this kind of plain canned beef isn't as appealing, out of the can, as you'd like or might be accustomed to, LOL. But it "dresses up" pretty well in a decent recipe.

I took a quick look at Walmart Canada to see what they had before making this reply.
    https://www.walmart.ca/en/pantry-households-pets/canned-food-soup/canned-meat/N-3075

Also answer for widget808

Is it already cooked or do they can it raw?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,606 Member
    Options
    Leftover seafood laksa.
    7z7baubv73bt.jpeg