What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    For Christmas Eve: spaghetti with teline (a very small, sweeter clam), the sauce is EVOO, a piece of peperoncino, garlic, broth and white wine. Grilled shrimp, smoked cheese ball, and green beans. Mandarine oranges (traditional from my husband's childhood), and panettone.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,052 Member
    "'Tis the season to be carb-loading, fa-la-la-la-la, la-la-la-la!"

Sure, not "meals" be per se, but meal accompaniments and gifts. Busy Monday back from visiting family in Canada to prep some wholesome breads to go with other gifts at parties for the next day or two. Eight loaves today join three others made and given prior to our trip, so rather than "Eleven Lords a-Leaping" it's "Eleven Loaves a-Baking." In any case, Happy Holidays to you all; may this season be full of joy with your families and friends, and full of healthful eating. It has been a pleasure sharing some of my cooking adventures with you all this past year, and I have appreciated the various bits of advice you've given me.

Clockwise from lower left corner: artisan white boule-shaped savory loaf (rosemary/garlic/sesame), honey whole wheat boule loaf with Christmas fruit and almonds (yes, that radioactive fluorescent fruitcake fruit - don't judge me, I'm making an attempt to recreate my youth on a lark in a yeast bread not a cake, LOL), two pairs of artisan white with cranberries, two loaves of honey whole wheat. Basic bread recipe is simple: flour, yeast, salt (moderate), water. I've added various flavors: local honey, cranberries, almond, wheat germ, and, of course, that candied fruit in one case. Typically more protein/less calories than commercial breads.

yn7vo94g75bc.jpg
  • ThinnerLiz
    ThinnerLiz Posts: 55 Member
    I'm eating it now. An egg-white omelette made with some crisp bacon, a bit of shredded cheese, a tablespoon of brown rice, and red bell pepper. (Teaspoon of refined coconut oil in a non-stick pan)
    With a clementine and coffee with a splash of whole milk.
  • FatToFitChaser
    FatToFitChaser Posts: 192 Member
    I made some some chicken with gravy and some white rice .
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,524 Member
    We do Christmas dinner on Boxing day when we have friends come around because there is no public transit on Christmas in London. I am doing the Serious Eats Dickensian goose.
    https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/12/roast-goose-and-gravy-recipe.html
    Have made a little start with dousing skin with a few kettle fulls of boiling water in the same way you tighten skin for peking duck. Have removed the wishbone and browned that in goose fat removed from cavity along with wing tips, neck, heart and giblets and started the stock for gravy. The bird is drying off in the fridge now. Tomorrow will make stuffing for cooking separately in a casserole dish as I read it can get too greasy baked in the cavity. Another job for tomorrow is pricking the bird all over to help fat render off. Will also make a pate with the liver to serve as a starter. And I need to dry brine the bird tomorrow.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Not a meal, but on the theme of bread from yesterday, Indian roti.

1vfbcrhm4czq.jpg
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,052 Member
    Traditional-type (for us) Christmas roast dinner: oven roasted beef, mashed yellow turnip (some might call them swedes or rutabagas), sauteed green beans, sauteed crimini mushrooms, mushroom beef gravy, side salad (not shown); on the plate is also one of the onion quarters used to trivet the beef while cooking and some horseradish. MFP macro computations on this are a bit difficult (I'm guessing fat approximations [butter, mostly] will probably throw the calcs off somewhat); the plate is about 886 cal, 46g protein, 53g ft, 55g carb. Counting some Christmas treats today, this has been a total departure from "The Plan." Oh well, will need to ensure the whole year-end holiday season doesn't follow this trend.

yo9iuzhyj114.jpg
  • acpgee
    We do traditional Xmas dinner on Boxing Day when friends can make it round. There is no public transportation at all in London on Xmas day. Hacks Peking duck is a meal that can be put together in 20 minutes. Good thing as I needed to do lots of prep for Boxing Day dinner on Xmas day.

In the morning or the night before score skin of duck breasts without cutting into meat. You want fat to escape, not juices. Dry brine skin side by sprinkling with a mixture of 3 parts salt with one part baking powder. Take out ready made frozen Peking pancakes from the freezer. If you are not close to an Asian supermarket you can use soft flour tortilla shells.

When you want to eat air fry duck breasts 15 minutes. Chop up some cucumber and green onion, microwave pancakes for a minute in the meantime.

If you don’t have an air fryer lie duck breast skin side down in a cold frying pan. Flatten with a second pan and add weight with a kettle of water or a tin of beans. Turn up heat to medium high so that fat renders in the slowly warming pan. Breasts are medium rare when internal temperature is 135F to 145F. Ours got to 155F so medium well.

Rest the duck 5 minutes before slicing so that temperature and juice distribution evens out in the meat.

x4suf6ay60lb.jpeg
  • acpgee
    I forgot to say mix up some hoisin sauce with soy to tone down sweetness. These are roll your own Chinese tacos. Put a little of the hoisin, duck and veg in the pancake and roll it up.
  • snowflake954
    Risotto with cream, shrimp, teline (small clams leftover from Christmas Eve), EVOO, vegetable broth, white wine and arborio rice.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    xa3x9g6fhjco.jpg
    The star of the show is actually the latkes, not the cranberry applesauce. But yes, latkes, cranberry sauce, and roasted yellow beets. That I had enough oil to fry them was unexpected.
  • snowflake954
    Pasta with chopped smoked salmon, cream, EVOO, zucchini in fairly small pieces (I throw it in the boiling water with the pasta 5 min before the pasta is al dente), freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
  • RCPV
    RCPV Posts: 342 Member
    Pasta with chopped smoked salmon, cream, EVOO, zucchini in fairly small pieces (I throw it in the boiling water with the pasta 5 min before the pasta is al dente), freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.

Are you a chef, because you eat absolutely THE best meals? Your descriptions leave me drooling.
  • acpgee
    Dinner was a collaboration. Hubby made green curry of aubergine and white fish. i made pomelo salad and rice.
    d950fstne49z.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    RCPV wrote: »

Are you a chef, because you eat absolutely THE best meals? Your descriptions leave me drooling.

I'm a Minnesota farm girl who became an interior designer, met my Italian husband on the beach in Mexico, married him 33 yrs ago, had 3 sons who are now grown, but eat at home. I always liked cooking, because my Mom didn't, and I have 5 brothers so I cooked a lot of meals for them. In Italy, I learned to cook from 3 little old Italian widows. I'm tall and blonde--so it was pretty funny. I learned the Italian way, Mediterranean diet and all. I cook everyday during the week lunch and dinner, just dinner Fridays and Saturdays (my husband loves pizza and so we go out Friday and Saturday nights). I usually make pasta or risotto for lunch with salad, fruit, and desert. I make a protein for dinner with vegetables, soup, fruit and desert. Everyone is thin. This is my life. Thanks for the compliment. :)
  • leil31
    leil31 Posts: 23 Member
    Chunky beef chilli n red cabbage salad cgigye2rgnac.jpg
  • snowflake954
    Whole wheat pasta (La Molisana--stone ground, 4 generations) with broccoletti (broccoli rape), simpley dressed with EVOO.
  • acpgee
    After the labour intensive cooking around Xmas I am a little kitchen fatigued. Today was an almost no cook dinner. Some squash soup we pulled out of the freezer was the starter. Spaghetti aglio olio is made in the 8-10 minutes between throwing the pasta in the boiling water and when it needs to drain. There is even time to make tomato salad while the pasta is cooking, if you keep some vinaigrette in the fridge.
    j800uj1skhs8.jpeg
    pa39368orwxk.jpeg
    0vyz1pws8aff.jpeg