What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,524 Member
    It was hubby's turn to cook but he pulled out stuff I made that was in the freezer.

The vegetable puree soup that has been lurking forever is finally finished. It started life as leftover pureed roast squash. Every time we ate it, we added stock, more leftover pureed vegetable such as roast celeriac, then the roast parsnip and roast chicory from Christmas dinner. After eating each new variant we would boil furiously for 10 to disinfect and then pop back into the freezer. Added flavourings included miso, curry paste, fish sauce, lemon juice and coconut milk at different incarnations of its development. Relieved that the never ending soup is finally gone.

We also had our last batch of Marcella Hazan's bolognaise sauce on spaghetti which was pulled out of the freezer too.

vrora4dshwbp.jpeg
    6svt0oc8u49r.jpeg
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Risotto with small shrimp.
  • epangili
    epangili Posts: 818 Member
    Cabbage and onion omelette. Saw on YouTube asian recipe. Delicious and nutritious- delightfully surprising...
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    This late afternoon: Aloo mutter
    Earlier this week: Austrian Goulash - half lamb half beef. So so so good. When I was living in Vienna, goulash ended up becoming my comfort food. This is the only recipe that has brought me back to that "wow this is good" goulash. Funny what three hours of simmering will do to something ;)
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Nothing fancy: just roasted chicken breast, broccoli with Trader Joes thai red curry sauce, and a salad. Low calorie, too.
  • Ironwoman1111
    Ironwoman1111 Posts: 3,913 Member
    Breakfast oatmeal bowl ~ peaches, cacao nibs, pecans, milled flaxseed and frozen berries.

vyigofwioicd.jpeg

• Two meals tonight, actually. Arroz con pollo for Girlfriend and I (Boyfriend had his pieces of grilled chicken wrapped in a tortilla with BBQ sauce and shredded cheese). I make Mexican rice with homemade tomato juice (thanks Mom) so I know the sodium is low, a few spoonfuls of tomato salsa, and some dry spices, and I make a quantity at a time because rice freezes well. So I had about a half cup of that with half a chicken breast cut up on it and a couple spoonfuls of hot queso dip over top, and it was really filling and satisfying.

The other meal I made is actually for tomorrow; I make my boyfriend, who had weight loss surgery four years ago, a high protein easy breakfast. It is sort of a hybrid between a crustless quiche and a cheesecake. This one was ham, cheddar cheese, spinach, and onions. He has a square about 3 x 3, and that holds him solidly good til lunch. A 9 x 13 pan of this fits in the fridge fine and lasts a week. The base for that size pan (halve it for a pie plate) is 2 boxes of cream cheese and ten eggs. Add to this whatever seasoning you want (onion powder, garlic powder, red pepper, etc) and about a cup of shredded cheese, a cup or two of whatever cooked diced meat you want to use, and a cup of vegetables. Stir it up, pour into your 9 x 13 pan, and bake it til it's done, which takes about an hour. (This also makes an impressive elegant guest brunch if you pair it with a fruit salad and banana bread.)
  • snowflake954
    Zucchine and shrimp lasagna made with a white sauce and shredded cheese. All gone.
  • acpgee
    Dutch dinner tonight. Hubby made dutch herring salad with beet root and pickled onions. Split pea soup from the batch I made, pulled out of the freezer. Apple crumble.
  • Kiyomoo
    Kiyomoo Posts: 354 Member
    I made white rice. Just... just rice and nothing else, because I am lazy.
  • I'm going to make a pot of chili today with a mix of kidney and black beans and homemade beef broth.
  • snowflake954
    Tortellini made with ricotta and spinach. I made a simple tomato sauce with EVOO and put freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano on top. This was for the family--6 of us. There was none leftover for me so I ate barley and lentils in a tomato sauce.
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,052 Member
    acpgee wrote: »
    Dutch dinner tonight. Hubby made dutch herring salad with beet root and pickled onions. Split pea soup from the batch I made, pulled out of the freezer. Apple crumble.

Sort-of funny story. I used to work for one of the premiere worldwide consultancies. We had a meeting in Amsterdam, my first time in the Netherlands. After a few days, where we had dined Italian, Indonesian ("Rijsttafel"), etc., I asked the in-country host in a Continental restaurant, "Anything here 'Dutch'?" He pointed out one dish, "hotchpotch"), which I ordered. It was a boiled-to-death plain veg stew with a dollop of black pudding perched on top. We get the English word "hodgepodge" from this. My grandfather used to love herring with beets; I sometimes have a serving in memory of this.
  • acpgee
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

Sort-of funny story. I used to work for one of the premiere worldwide consultancies. We had a meeting in Amsterdam, my first time in the Netherlands. After a few days, where we had dined Italian, Indonesian ("Rijsttafel"), etc., I asked the in-country host in a Continental restaurant, "Anything here 'Dutch'?" He pointed out one dish, "hotchpotch"), which I ordered. It was a boiled-to-death plain veg stew with a dollop of black pudding perched on top. We get the English word "hodgepodge" from this. My grandfather used to love herring with beets; I sometimes have a serving in memory of this.

We moved from the Netherlands back to the UK in 2008. A lot of dutch food is boring and stodgy like traditional English food. Hutspot (you use a non traditional spelling) is among those. But there are a few culinary highlights you shouldn't miss next time you are there:

-raw salted herring (not the pickled stuff--this is working man's sashimi)
    -smoked eel
    -bitterballen (a bar snack of croquettes made from deep fried balls of breaded congealed beef stew, so liquid when you bite into one)
    -bitterkoekjes (almond macaroons similar to amaretti)
    -stroopwaffel (mini cookie size waffles sandwiching a layer of molasses, sold nowadays in Starbucks outside of NL)
    -old goat cheese (known outside of NL as goat gouda and similar to pecorino)
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    I did a Korean chicken with a brown rice. Used gochujang paste with ginger , garlic, and soy sauce. Sesame oil. Cooked the boil in bag rice in chicken broth and water. Sauteed up shallots, vidalia, yellow bell and garlic and once the rice was done, I mixed it with the veg. Super yummy and filling!!
  • acpgee
    Rump steak, oven fries done in the air fryer, hollandaise, tomato salad, sauteed frozen peas.
    6mvodadxgcp9.jpeg

• mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,052 Member
    mjbnj0001 wrote: »

We moved from the Netherlands back to the UK in 2008. A lot of dutch food is boring and stodgy like traditional English food. Hutspot (you use a non traditional spelling) is among those. But there are a few culinary highlights you shouldn't miss next time you are there:

-raw salted herring (not the pickled stuff--this is working man's sashimi)
    -smoked eel
    -bitterballen (a bar snack of croquettes made from deep fried balls of breaded congealed beef stew, so liquid when you bite into one)
    -bitterkoekjes (almond macaroons similar to amaretti)
    -stroopwaffel (mini cookie size waffles sandwiching a layer of molasses, sold nowadays in Starbucks outside of NL)
    -old goat cheese (known outside of NL as goat gouda and similar to pecorino)

Thanks. I was fortunate enough to stay in Amsterdam for a couple of trips, plus Eindhoven for a client and lodging in Amersfoort. I liked the NL, extremely pleasant folks. Being retired now, I will not likely get there again, although as a cyclist in my leisure, there's a certain attraction ...
  • jlhalley7835
    jlhalley7835 Posts: 188 Member
    Smoked a whole wild hog today for the game. Probably had enough sodium on it to last me a week but it was great!!

also fried up some lumpia my mom made
  • snowflake954
    Today still using leftovers. I made basmati rice with a sauce of lentils and tomato, salad, navel oranges, panettone and other sweets.
  • BuffaloChixSalad
    BuffaloChixSalad Posts: 98 Member
    Delicious stuffed bell peppers!! Brown rice, taco meat, black beans, cheese, onions, garlic, and baked in the oven! Heavenly