What was the last meal you cooked?

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Pozole with chicken (thigh). Cooked the hominy (from dry - you can get it from Rancho Gordo, among other places/brands, in the US) yesterday and made the rest of it today. Apparently the stars have aligned in such a way that one of the soups of the day at one of the bakeries/cafes that I go to was also pozole (though with pork).
  • New_Heavens_Earth
    New_Heavens_Earth Posts: 610 Member
    Chicken parm and spaghetti casserole.
  • GreenValli
    GreenValli Posts: 1,054 Member
    Chili with a salad
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Soup. I call it Stan’s soup cause Stan gave me the recipe, but it might be called lasagna soup?
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Jacket Sweet Potato, Mexican style Jackfruit and a big salad.

First try of Jackfruit (very possibly the last!). The least enjoyable meal I’ve eaten in quite some time! 😢

Just bought jackfruit for the first time today. Bought the smallest piece I could find, in case I don’t like it. I’ll keep googling, but skip the Mexican recipes. Thx.
  • Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    I stuck some things together from the cupboard. It was pretty tasty, but would be better with real rice... From bottom to top of bowl:

Tikka Masala Chicken Nugget Bowl (~600 cals.)

Uncle Ben's Ready Rice - Basmati (1/2 bag)
    PictSweet Creamed Spinach (1 x 4.5 oz. carton)
    Perdue Simply Smart Breaded Chicken Nuggets (5)
    Saffron Road Tikka Masala Simmer Sauce (1/3 bag)
  • mjbnj0001
    mjbnj0001 Posts: 1,052 Member
    Pretty plain and simple: turkey meatloaf with green beans, brown rice and side salad. MFP says this plate is about 800 calories.

Pics: meatloaf baked, served.

3lhbuf98yni7.jpg

gds9efamf262.jpg

• snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Pasta fagioli--pasta with beans, tomato sauce, tritato (finely chopped celery, onion, carrot, and parsely), garlic EVOO, veg broth and other spices.

I also made chicken salad with leftover chicken breast, celery, onion, lemon pepper, maionese, lemon juice, chopped almonds and chia seeds.
  • snowflake954
    Whole wheat pasta (Molisana) with broccoli di rape and EVOO. This is my favorite. It's seasonal because here this is the season of broccoli di rape. Once spring is on the way and the plant flowers out (yellow flowers) we won't be able to buy it anymore.
  • snowflake954
    edited January 2020
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Whole wheat pasta (Molisana) with broccoli di rape and EVOO. This is my favorite. It's seasonal because here this is the season of broccoli di rape. Once spring is on the way and the plant flowers out (yellow flowers) we won't be able to buy it anymore.

is this what I would call rapini? If so, could you please share your recipe?

Sure!!!! It's the simplest thing. Clean the plant. Discard any yellowed or imperfect leaves or stems. I put the bigger leaves and tender stems in one pile and the buds and very tender leaves in another. Rinse the first group and set aside, rinse the second and set aside. Boil water and add double the salt you usually do. When the water is boiling throw in the first group and push under water with a slotted spoon, after about 3 minutes throw in the second group and boil about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and fish out all the greens with the slotted spoon. I put them in a big bowl and set aside (they will finish cooking by themselves). the greens should be a bright green. In the same water used to boil the greens bring to a boil again and then throw in the pasta. Watch carefully. When the pasta is almost al dente throw in the cooked greens and give it all a stir. When the water comes to a boil again drain it all in a big colander. When drained immediately put it all back in the pot and pour EVOO on top. Serve.

I take mine out first and put on less oil. You can save some of the water if you want your plate almost a soup. Some like red pepper flakes added. I have a double pot now so don't need a colander. The inside pot is made to drain. I like this dish using whole wheat pasta. The real traditional pasta is homemade orecchietti.
  • snowflake954

is this what I would call rapini? If so, could you please share your recipe?

Sure!!!! It's the simplest thing. Clean the plant. Discard any yellowed or imperfect leaves or stems. I put the bigger leaves and tender stems in one pile and the buds and very tender leaves in another. Rinse the first group and set aside, rinse the second and set aside. Boil water and add double the salt you usually do. When the water is boiling throw in the first group and push under water with a slotted spoon, after about 3 minutes throw in the second group and boil about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and fish out all the greens with the slotted spoon. I put them in a big bowl and set aside (they will finish cooking by themselves). the greens should be a bright green. In the same water used to boil the greens bring to a boil again and then throw in the pasta. Watch carefully. When the pasta is almost al dente throw in the cooked greens and give it all a stir. When the water comes to a boil again drain it all in a big colander. When drained immediately put it all back in the pot and pour EVOO on top. Serve.

I take mine out first and put on less oil. You can save some of the water if you want your plate almost a soup. Some like red pepper flakes added. I have a double pot now so don't need a colander. The inside pot is made to drain. I like this dish using whole wheat pasta. The real traditional pasta is homemade orecchietti.

Thank you. I love simple meals like this!!! I am seeing this with grated parm on top and roasted chicken breast.

Try it first plain. You'll be surprised! Bon Appetite!
  • snowflake954
    Cream of celery soup.
    Boil cleaned celery plus leaves and peeled potatoes in a saucepan until a little tender. Pour off most of the water and save. Puree' with a hand mixer. Add milk and vegetable broth crystals. I also like pepper and paprica. Simmer on low and add some of the cooking water if too thick. Taste and adjust spices. I don't add oil, but you can and I do add freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
  • snowflake954
    Adding to my cream of celery soup notes, it's very low-cal if you use low fat milk--32 cal before cheese. I make it when I need to cut calories because it's filling.
  • kali31337
    kali31337 Posts: 1,048 Member
    Zucchini and Spinach casserole
    https://skinnyms.com/baked-zucchini-spinach-feta/

It was so much better than I expected it would be!
  • crystalme1
    crystalme1 Posts: 10 Member
    I made chicken soup for lunch, and my husband and I made chicken Marengo for dinner. I am not really new to MFP but I am wanting this time to be different. I tried to put my recipes in and was extremely frustrated! I find it very tricky after the third time putting in the recipe for chicken Marengo I gave up. any suggestions? also as I have been on and off MFP for years, this is my longest streak and I am also new to seeking support which so if you read this and feel inclined please add me to friend.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Simple pasta tonight. A blistered cherry tomato sauce with caramelized onions, garlic, and well - cherry tomatoes (which were very clearly grown in a greenhouse). That topped casarecce (my new favorite pasta shape for sauces like this) along with some freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano (aka one of two cheeses that I like).