The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Craig always makes me laugh. Thanks for bringing it to us!

• salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    Options
    kelagurl wrote: »
    @salleewins Thanks so much for sharing... I am sending positive vibrations on Good Friday, I am so sorry for your loss... I relate so much to "working on always cultivating new healthy relationships." I feel like there is a connection between relationships and alcohol, for me at least. I had the WORST (by worst, meaning had none) boundaries when it came to some of my friendships that left me stressed and resentful. I'm getting better myself at communicating and realizing I am allowed to say NO and put myself first. I was the friend that went along with *almost* everything.... let's just say that didn't do so well for my mental health and anxiety and at times attracted some people who were complete users.

My boundaries are improving and I'm practicing self-care more these days... and with that came my interest in trying to eliminate things that contribute to my anxiety. Ta-da - my wine drinking! My self-awareness is at an all time high! It's refreshing to see so many other self-aware people on this forum. :) I'm cheering for you all! :)

Thank you and KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @salleewins <3 I'll be thinking about you this weekend. :'(
  • MaxInChicago
    MaxInChicago Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Thanks for posting the Craig Ferguson clip and for the tip on Craig Beck's videos!

@dbhDeb For me it was after a really bad event and it became clear that I didn't have control over my drinking. Prior to that I resolved many times to drink less or stop for a while, but always ended up not sticking to those resolutions.
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Ed_Zilla wrote: »
    Sorry for the long post - but I have a lot on my mind today. I promised my wife no alcohol until Easter. Easter is in 6 days and I am 11+ weeks AF at the time of this writing. BUT - Liquor logic is starting to rear it's ugly head again.

As you may recall stopping drinking got me off of BP meds (so happy about this) - HOWEVER - going AF made my cholesterol go the wrong way enough that I need to get back on statin drugs according to my "internet diagnosis." I have an appointment with the doc this afternoon to see what I need to do - like she knows more than the internet haha.

I eat right and work out super-hard 3 or 4 times per week (swim, cycle, and run) and I always train to participate in at least 1 Sprint Triathlon per year. I like to keep my fitness level here at all times. I am also at goal weight...so no weight loss or exercise program is going to change anything.

I do NOT want to get back on meds - but if I had to choose - I would much rather be on BP meds than a statin drug...which would mean
    ???drinking in moderation again (max of 2 beers or 5 oz. of wine per day)???
    ^^^^ Liquor Logic^^^^
    Either way liquor or statin drugs can mess up your liver.

Bottom line is - whatever the doc tells me I will do. I am not whining one bit. In fact I am truly thankful for my good health and thank the good Lord often for this. Having to take a statin or BP drug is inconsequential compared to some of the battles others face.

I will let you know what's up as soon as I figure it out myself....

My doc said stay the course - stay AF - keep exercising and eating balanced meals - retest in 2 months.

I also know that today was the first time I actually told my doctor the truth about how much bourbon I actually drank every day/week.
    Sorry for the long post - but I have a lot on my mind today. I promised my wife no alcohol until Easter. Easter is in 6 days and I am 11+ weeks AF at the time of this writing. BUT - Liquor logic is starting to rear it's ugly head again.

As you may recall stopping drinking got me off of BP meds (so happy about this) - HOWEVER - going AF made my cholesterol go the wrong way enough that I need to get back on statin drugs according to my "internet diagnosis." I have an appointment with the doc this afternoon to see what I need to do - like she knows more than the internet haha.

I eat right and work out super-hard 3 or 4 times per week (swim, cycle, and run) and I always train to participate in at least 1 Sprint Triathlon per year. I like to keep my fitness level here at all times. I am also at goal weight...so no weight loss or exercise program is going to change anything.

I do NOT want to get back on meds - but if I had to choose - I would much rather be on BP meds than a statin drug...which would mean
    ???drinking in moderation again (max of 2 beers or 5 oz. of wine per day)???
    ^^^^ Liquor Logic^^^^
    Either way liquor or statin drugs can mess up your liver.

Bottom line is - whatever the doc tells me I will do. I am not whining one bit. In fact I am truly thankful for my good health and thank the good Lord often for this. Having to take a statin or BP drug is inconsequential compared to some of the battles others face.

I will let you know what's up as soon as I figure it out myself....

My doc said stay the course - stay AF - keep exercising and eating balanced meals - retest in 2 months.

I also know that today was the first time I actually told my doctor the truth about how much bourbon I actually drank every day/week.

glad to hear this! How much were you drinking? 11 weeks is pretty darn awesome!
  • dbhDeb
    dbhDeb Posts: 200 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options
    thank you for sharing this. I have never heard of Craig Ferguson @rubyred427

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    dbhDeb wrote: »
    thank you for sharing this. I have never heard of Craig Ferguson @rubyred427

Also, watch his bit on getting sober on Christmas Day. Find it on youtube. Very down to earth, funny and poignant.