The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    https://www.tiredofthinkingaboutdrinking.com

Great resource. Get on Belle's email list and you will get a daily reminder. Belle prints an email from a customer/participant of her program and reading letters written from the heart especially when I can relate is helpful. Here is today's excerpt ; I didn't copy and paste the whole thing but a snippet:

from today's email....."It has been so hard for me to reach out for help because I am so mortified that I can not control my drinking. I’m crying even writing this because the shame and embarrassment are just excruciating. It’s taken me years to admit this to myself. I have spent so long caring for others and pouring booze on my head as care to myself that I don’t really know what self care is. Yes I have the baths, and the tonic and cran, and treats, but your email about using bandaid to help a heart attack just reinforced that I feel like I have no *kitten* clue what I’m doing. "

• RubyRed427
    Options
    NArunner wrote: »
    Hi. I'm happy to find a sober thread on MFP. I'm just starting over after having 170 days AF. Currently on day 6. Wasn't even a huge relapse, but a few minor slips which I couldn't ignore. I think I've figured out somewhat why I relapsed and happy to get to a clear space again.

I'm calorie counting and doing 16:8 fasting, have put on about 15lbs since quitting drink 😕 comfort eating. So far so good two weeks into my renewed health efforts.

What a bummer that you needed to start over. BUT that happened to me. I think I got to 174 days and drank. I really truly wish I didn't. But I commend you for getting back on track. It is a learning experience, and you are so wise and brave to get back to AF living. xo
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Loved that i found this post... been alcohol free for 150 days today ! Found it so hard as drunk (heavy) every single day ... ive been seeing a counsellor and im actually seeing life without alcohol more clearer ... my brain still has its mishaps thinking i can handle just one drink... but im a all or nothing .. so all my energy is going into my calorie counting and controlling life in another direction !

Me, too. One leads to ten...
  • salleewins
    salleewins Posts: 2,308 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I hope everyone is well. I have decided to make an appointment with a dietitian to come up with a plan to get rid of my extra weight and bring down my cholesterol. In preparation for our meeting, she asked me to keep a food diary. Well that alone is motivating me to eat well and not drink. However, I DID have wine yesterday on Valentine's Day...was not worth it as usual....crazy pounding heart in the middle of the night, dry mouth etc. It's such a terrible habit and addiction really. I'm so proud and envious of those of you that have really kicked alcohol's butt for good. I'm still struggling with it but I really hope having to be accountable to someone else (the dietitian) will help.

Great, that did help me cut it way down!
  • salleewins
    Options
    RubyRed427 wrote: »
    Hi Friends, I am checking in to say hello. I love reading your honest posts. I bought a house on Valentine's Day. It's a cute little ranch, and I am excited. I will be living next door to one of my cousins. That's a big coincidence. I saw the house on Zillow but didn't know it was next door to him. Anyway, you probably remember many of my cousins are good people but alcoholics like me.

My sister called to congratulate me. She did offer a piece of advice, because she lives on the next street. She said when she moved into her home, my cousin would walk over and want to chat and have some beer. She said to be aware of that. I said well since my house rules will be and are currently "no alcohol stored in my home", he won't be having a beer at my house.

I also reflected how I used to do the same thing. I knew my friend, a fellow wino, would drink in the evenings. And I would go for a walk and on my way back, I would stop by to say hello. All with the intentions of having some wine and yes, conversation. But people like me do that. Always have alcohol on the brain- searching for a fix.

Congratulations!!
  • salleewins
    Options
    Congratulations on all the hard work here! Me, too!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed I'm so glad you weren't hurt in the wreck! How unsettling though 😤 6:50 am in Vegas another 24,I hafta be vigilant everyday, too many starts/stops over the years and I'm over it
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Good morning friends! @whitpauly starts and stops seem more difficult than just cutting the *kitten* out of your life. I'm proud of you!!!
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @NArunner Welcome and congrats on Day 6!! Just noticed the disagree on your post and am fairly certain someone meant to hit "hug" and accidently hit "disagree" ... in case you care LOL
  • wwwtheselion11
    wwwtheselion11 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My last drink was rum an egg nog on Christmas, of 2019, but before that i wasn't drinking. Until my brother in laws birthday party. I had one I.P.A. on sept 25 2019 MMMM. I LOVE IPA. The hardest thing. Is that dating factor. Most of these single women enjoy whiskey an beer. An you cant forget the wine. I used to finish 6 packs, because i was thirsty, not knowing that i was putting on 5 to 15 pounds, from drinking, so much. Ok more like 20 pounds.