Calorie Counter

Message Boards Challenges
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

1247248249250251253»

Replies

• lorrainequiche59lorrainequiche59 Member Posts: 810 Member Member Posts: 810 Member
    @shortchange1 Good work!! <3

Hi @MIssMay ~ We love lurkers...the more the merrier :)
  • MissMayMissMay Member Posts: 1,706 Member Member Posts: 1,706 Member
    Hi @MIssMay ~ We love lurkers...the more the merrier :)
    Waving back 👋 oh but I am not just any lurker. Nice to hear(read) everyone is doing well over here. Big hello to @JenT304 🤗
    edited September 17
  • lorrainequiche59lorrainequiche59 Member Posts: 810 Member Member Posts: 810 Member
    Hi "Covid Julie" Thank you for updating us all. So glad that you are healing and are being cared for through all of your friend's and family's kindnesses....Boring is fantastic btw...It means you are resting & taking care of yourself...happy recoup <3
  • JenT304JenT304 Member Posts: 606 Member Member Posts: 606 Member
    @Beka3695 I'm glad you have minimal damage. The pictures on TV are terrible. How awful for people. Covid Julie, I hope you are improving. It is scary not to be able to take a full breath. I AM a former smoker and that aspect really scares me. I'm happy your family and friends are being so thoughtful.
  • JenT304JenT304 Member Posts: 606 Member Member Posts: 606 Member
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,212 Member Member Posts: 4,212 Member
    Hi ! Got back from Turkey on Saturday, 10pm at night although my body felt it was 12pm due to the time difference. I slept most of Sunday and today just got my first day back at work out the way....always a tough one after relaxing for 2 weeks with no work!!

Hope everyone is well, I will have to read over the thread and read all the posts. One thing I loved about my holiday, I barely looked at my phone and I loved it! But I now have to catch up on stuff. (Actually, think I will keep phone time to a minimum as a new habit. I was on my phone far too much before).

First of all, I didn't manage AF for the holdiay. But there was many big changes that I am very proud of and my partner and brother are very proud as well, they noticed the changes and even said I was like a 'new me'. Firstly, the hotel we stopped over at before the flight would usually have involved me having a few 'celebratory wines'. I ordered a cola. So managed AF. The following day would have usually involved drinks at the airport FOR SURE! I had no alcohol at the airport so these were big changes for me. Best part? It was pain free. I simply didn't want to drink.

Okay. So on the flight I succumbed and ordered a small bottle of prosecco. (What can i say? I very rarely travel via plane and my party were drinking and I did succumb).

All in all, I managed 5 AF days. On days I did drink, I was able to regulate my drinking by drinking water / soft drinks in between and stopping way before I could become drunk. Although there was a few nights I was quite tipsy, I still felt in control and became the 'granny' of the group as my brother so kindly called me as I was asking others to take care and mind there drinking etc. The thing I'm most proud of, I got up dancing completely sober one evening much to everyone's surprise. They all said that they could never do that, so I am bit by bit proving to myself there is a life with fun and good times, that doesnt have to involve booze !

I don't think I am ready to go completely AF right at this moment in time and I may move to the less AL thread as it seems to be more where I'm at right now. The fact I was able to better regulate my boozing (at an all inclusive resort) has given me some hope that I can possibly moderate my drinking. Something that has came as a complete surprise really. So I might give it a go. I find the social side of drinking is making it too difficulty for me to stop drinking completely. At this moment in time, anyway.

It's definetly thanks to this great thread and all the reading I have been doing, Annie Grace, Craig beck etc that I was able to make all those wonderful changes on my holiday!
  • MaGaOhMaMaGaOhMa Member Posts: 5 Member Member Posts: 5 Member
    Hi everyone,

I stopped drinking on July 4, which is also when I re-started MFP. Working from home made having a cocktail in the afternoon way too convenient. I’ve always been a drinker, but I haven’t had any alcohol since then, mostly because I’m not socializing the way I used to pre-Covid. And I decided not to keep alcohol in the house. I don’t really miss it, but there are times when I think “If I still drank alcohol, I’d be having a drink right now.”

Not drinking has made eating healthier foods much easier because I’m not craving all the processed junk I used to have with a drink. I’ve lost 20 pounds since July 4 so I’m not inclined to start drinking again anytime soon!
  • donimfpdonimfp Member Posts: 635 Member Member Posts: 635 Member
    @FeelinFooFoo, I'm so glad you had a good, restful holiday. I truly wish you the very best in your quest for moderation. Kate Bee, Annie Grace, and others I've read (Allen Carr, Jason Vale) claim that going from a heavy drinker to a long-term moderate drinker just doesn't happen. Maybe you will be the exception that proves the rule. I hope so (Or maybe you didn't drink that heavily--I may be mis-remembering some of your earlier posts). In any event. please keep us posted. I hope in 6 months you can report that you've found that happy middle way that seems to elude many of us (definitely me!). But no need to leave this group! I hope you can enjoy both threads.
  • FeelinFooFooFeelinFooFoo Member Posts: 4,212 Member Member Posts: 4,212 Member
    donimfp wrote: »
    @FeelinFooFoo, I'm so glad you had a good, restful holiday. I truly wish you the very best in your quest for moderation. Kate Bee, Annie Grace, and others I've read (Allen Carr, Jason Vale) claim that going from a heavy drinker to a long-term moderate drinker just doesn't happen. Maybe you will be the exception that proves the rule. I hope so (Or maybe you didn't drink that heavily--I may be mis-remembering some of your earlier posts). In any event. please keep us posted. I hope in 6 months you can report that you've found that happy middle way that seems to elude many of us (definitely me!). But no need to leave this group! I hope you can enjoy both threads.

🤗 thank you 💖 yeah, you guys & gals arnt getting rid of me that easy ! I will definetly stay on both threads. I need to find something that is gona work for me. I am very pleased that I have made my quit attempts. I have had more AF days now than what I have had for a long time, having breaks from alcohol I do think has helped me to really evaluate my relationship with it, view it from all angles. This thread, Annie Grace, Craig Beck and Alan Carr have all changed my outlook on booze. That is something I am truely grateful for and I could never return to mindless drinking now, I know too much !!

I don't think I was ever a particularly heavy drinker. I was always a binge drinker though. I could go 6 days a week AF and then let loose (usually 1 bottle of wine plus 2 pint cans of beer). But, over the years my drinking had sneaked up on me. I seen nothing wrong with ALWAYS drinking on a weekend. I thought it was 'normal'. Without realising there was a growing issue, I would often obsess about booze, plan my nights around it, sneak alcohol so I had extra, become very frustrated if my bf didn't want to drink. I would sometimes booze through the week and end up in work hungover. I would tell myself "Okay, do not go into that wine shop on way home....." and like a magnet drawing me in, I would be drinking, yet again. Since doing 30 day experiment and other learning, I realised that I had been conditioned. I believed that this behaviour was 'normal' despite all the negative ramifications. Since questioning a lot of my previous beliefs I see how trapped i had become.

Another thing that's gona help me to try and moderate, is the fact I no longer look at alcohol as some innocent harmless liquid. Or as some golden elixir that you simply must have ! I was at the airport recently at duty free and I meandered through all the alcohol section. All these big fancy bottles, some over £1000 and I looked at them and laughed. Craig Becks words ringing in my ear and him saying 'attractively packaged expensive poison'.

So, next part of my journey is gona involve really trying to see if I can possibly keep some alcohol in my life, mainly for social reasons tbh. But keep it limited and not causing any issues in my life. The only way I will know is if I give it a fair go. Thank you for your support 👍
    Welcome back @Feelinfoofoo...glad you had a relaxing vacay!

@Donimfp I'm excited for you!!!!!

@MaGaOhMa Congrats and thank you for sharing your success in your healthier lifestyle.

I watched a YouTube video the other day entitled, "What's Alcoholism Like?" It's a young guy in his later 20s who shares his story describing himself as a high-functioning alcoholic. He said nothing significant happened to get him sober. I could relate cause I remember my brother asking me if something had happened to cause me to quit...to which I replied, "Nope, just the increasing dependence" This guy in the video talked about how people always talk about hitting bottom & shared what a really low point in his life was but that was not when he got sober. He said, "I just got tired...felt like I was coming out of the other end of a storm...I couldn't keep living the way I was living...it does not have to get to a certain point for you to get sober...things don't have to get worse before they get better."

He actually described my life when I was drinking...my pattern of starting & stopping and then starting & stopping again, trying to gain control of something I have no control over, isolating so I could drink. He said he had all these people telling him he didn't have a problem and I did too cause I hid it well. And not only that, I didn't have to always hide it. I just made sure I gathered "friends" aka "drinking buddies" who would reassure me I didn't have a problem...kinda like the blind leading the blind. LOL It's worth a watch for anyone struggling. Just knowing we are not alone in our struggle is a tremendous resource.

Happy healthy week to all <3
  • donimfpdonimfp Member Posts: 635 Member Member Posts: 635 Member
    Thanks, @lorrainequiche59. I will check out that video. What you relate of its content resonates with me, too. No big crisis caused me to (finally) quit, either. Today (given that it's now 2 a.m. where I am so it's "tomorrow") is Day 80 for me, and I have no intention of ever having another Day 1. I'm up at 2 because I have a fear/concern (won't go into the details) that we may be facing prostate cancer. Thus the difficulty sleeping. Worries are keeping me up. BUT, I'm sober. And I'm aware that if we do have something looming, I'll be able to be a support in a way I would not be able to if I were in the midst of my love/hate battle with alcohol. No surprise that I got up and turned to this site while I try to kind of lull myself back to sleep. There's always a feeling of supportiveness here.