The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,175 Member
    Options
    @mainelylisa Slowly, my desire for alcohol is fading. It's nearly three months AF for me. Lately, the thought of taking a drink turns my stomach. I have had so many negative experiences drinking physically and mentally that it has become undesirable in my mind.
    Much like when you have an allergic reaction to a food, you are scared and scarred to eat it. That's how I am feeling today.

You will have much more energy and time to revamp your life. You will have time to try new things and it will probably reinvigorate your photography and writing.
  • SunnyDays930
    SunnyDays930 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    @mainelylisa I also suffer from blackouts when drinking. My husband and I would watch a show and I would have to watch the entire episode again, not remembering one bit of it. And that's the tame stuff. Plenty of times I would wake up and he was in the guest room, furious at me for something I said or did, and I not having the slightest idea of what it was. Drinking was becoming a real threat to my relationship with my daughters as well. It just SO not worth it. If you have not done so, I urge you to do the free 30 day The Alcohol Experiment online. It is great.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    @annliz23 There is no place or reason for shame. We are here to better ourselves. And are human. I, too, tend to isolate after I've been "bad," but I think that's when we need to share and garner support and encouragement.

Thanks!
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @annliz23 I figure it's taken years for us to become avid drinkers, so it may take some time to taper off and maybe even quit. So, no worries for giving in. It happens. And it also helps gives us more perspective. After all, we grow from adversity as the saying goes.
  • mainelylisa
    mainelylisa Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Did you read about the brain pickling in the Blackout book or somewhere else? I'm fascinated with the physiology related to drinking (and quitting!) I had heard most cannot go back to moderating, but never heard any physiological association.

On a related note, I will def try the 30 day experiment (listen to a podcast by Annie last night).
  • RubyRed427
    edited December 2020
    Options
    @RubyRed427 Did you read about the brain pickling in the Blackout book or somewhere else? I'm fascinated with the physiology related to drinking (and quitting!) I had heard most cannot go back to moderating, but never heard any physiological association.

The cucumber pickle analogy is an expression probably from AA... once you become an alcoholic you could never go back to being a moderate drinker.

The black out book I was referring to is not worth buying, because it had a lot of examples of the horrible things people have done while black out, Which we really do know can happen.

I stumbled upon a book Title however thats I read a few years ago: Here is a review of the book

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/books/jacketcopy/la-ca-jc-sarah-hepola-20150621-story.html?_amp=true

I also read a good book called Drinking: a love story.

I love learning about the psychology in the brain chemistry behind drinking. I find a lot of good articles on psychologytoday.com
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @annliz23 I do love the poem. I love the last line especially.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    AF night but only slept 2 hours so feel worse this morning lol!
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    Options
    JenT304 wrote: »

I agree. This is worth watching. I just ordered a journal from Amazon.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    @JenT304 thank you for the video- I am getting my journal now to write in it!

@annliz23 Cute poster