The Sober Squad- Alcohol Free Living

Options

Replies

• RubyRed427
    RubyRed427 Posts: 4,174 Member
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Thanks for your post. You hit my nail right on the head. I skipped my teacher colleagues holiday drinks night last night and have been feeling very “on my own” in spite of having family visitors. This is my DAY 4, so I appreciate reading your comments!

Great job on Day 4!! Xo
    P.s. Teachers love to drink! That was one of my undoing ... all those happy hours.
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    Last night at the company dinner there was a four course meal - soup, salad, entree/sides and dessert. There were 4 wine glasses in front of every setting as there was a different featured wine for each course. The first one was already poured when we were seated. I asked the server to take the wine away and he pretty clearly understood what I was asking and took the other three glasses also. The guy sitting next to me did not understand and gave me the play by play of what he thought of each wine. It didn't really bother me. It is almost scary how I am becoming conditioned to not drinking, like I am getting lulled into letting my guard down. I am determined not to let that happen.

Today is day 543 - I love interesting numbers like that...

Good story! Inspiring !
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    @CarvedTones I think your being "conditioned" to not drink is awesome. I admire your determination and I'll be needing some over the next couple of weeks. I was given a very nice bottle of Baco Noir today from a client and am going to serve it at a dinner I am hosting in 2 weeks.

I had debated about buying a bottle for this dinner & now the debate is over...I was thinking today how relatively easy it was for me to pour several bottles of liquor, a few not even cracked, down my drain way back when I first stopped. I CANNOT bring myself to do the same with this wine...WHAT is with THAT???? It's because wine was my thing. I just thought it was kinda interesting. I have poured my share of wine down my drain in the past, but only after too much the night before & swearing off drinking only to cave within days promising myself that I would moderate....NOT!! Anyway, IF the wine that is now in my cabinet begins to call my name, I will give it to someone for safekeeping until my dinner. I left it wrapped in the cellophane & will not unwrap it until my guests are here...just cause!!! LOL :cold_sweat: I will pour myself a mocktail in a fancy glass ... :)

BYE Jen...safe travels!! Looking forward to hearing how you were successfully sober <3 Great that you will have your daughter for encouragement.

• RubyRed427
    Options
    @JenT304 Have a wonderful trip! Make lots of memories. Enjoy every second!!
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Happy Friday all! Jen,safe travels and enjoy your vist :) Lorraine,toss it or regift having it around might just be inviting trouble,I'm having bad anxiety right now cuz christmas is right around the corner,today is my day off and that sometimes gets me in trouble when I can't get out of my head! Grrrrr,send me good vibes peeps,wishes for a fabulous AF Friday! B)
  • RubyRed427
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Happy Friday all! Jen,safe travels and enjoy your vist :) Lorraine,toss it or regift having it around might just be inviting trouble,I'm having bad anxiety right now cuz christmas is right around the corner,today is my day off and that sometimes gets me in trouble when I can't get out of my head! Grrrrr,send me good vibes peeps,wishes for a fabulous AF Friday! B)

sending you good vibes! Keep busy- go to a movie, go shopping, read in a coffee shop... we are here for you. Xo
  • ElC_76
    ElC_76 Posts: 3,054 Member
    Options
    For future reference, If anyone is cooking a sweet with alcohol, I have found orange juice works good as a substitute.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Yeah true Lorraine,my hubs likes his few beers a night so there's usually alcohol around here but it doesn't faze me at all,I can be around drinkers and not care either,my drinking only tends to happen when I get myself into a sad,mad or restless mood and I go off to buy it myself
  • lorrainequiche59
    lorrainequiche59 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    whitpauly wrote: »
    Yeah true Lorraine,my hubs likes his few beers a night so there's usually alcohol around here but it doesn't faze me at all,I can be around drinkers and not care either,my drinking only tends to happen when I get myself into a sad,mad or restless mood and I go off to buy it myself

Ditto...it is the emotional stuff that can unhinge me also, BUT I've been working on that & have been through a few things sober & fought the urge to drink & that will be my struggle going forward!! It's interesting to me though that I put the wine in my china cabinet cause I do not go in there regularly...I KNOW it is there, but don't want to be staring at it regularly. Too funny! :p Thank you for your encouragement!

@JenT304 Yuk to flying! Drugs help. A little sedative chills me out. Thankfully, I don't fly regularly or I might have another issue on my hands. Anyway, Bon Voyage & have a safe & happy time with your Fam!

@Fitness327wk You will certainly feel the difference in your health. Even when I don't have the best night's sleep, it is certainly WAY better than when I drank...I didn't usually drink enough to get a "hangover" that wasted an entire day/two recovering, but I pretty much felt like crap every day...I got used to drinking half - full bottle of wine daily & feeling sluggish & depressed most of the time denying that the source was the nightly or afternoonly vino!! Most of the time I planned my drinking for later afternoon so that it wouldn't affect my sleep AS much...oh the games we play to keep drinking. I have freed up a lot of time & energy just from not having to continually think about my drinking, either how to attempt to control it, how disappointing that I couldn't control it & on & on!! SO thankful to be AF!!

Hoping everyone has a great time with Fam over the holidays and I feel for those who are not with Fam! My <3 goes out to those who don't because this can be the hardest time of year for those who are solo... :'(