Bad advice?

Options

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    i was just reading a recipe blog and in her recipe for roasted potato/butternut squash...she recommends using purple potatoes because "Besides being loaded with more nutrients, carbohydrates in purple potatoes are digested and absorbed into the blood stream much slower than white potatoes. This helps keep our bodies out of fat making mode. "

Color is important; red and purple potatoes have more flavanoids than white ones, and purple potatoes are lower in sugar (lower GI?), although protein, carbs and calories are not much different.
    So in reality the blogger was not incorrect. She probably didn't clarify things well enough.
    https://www.healthsomeness.com/healthiest-potatoes/

According to your link though, 100g of white potato has 1.2g sugar, 100g of purple has 0.5g sugar. So in a 200g serving, you are talking about 1g less of sugar. And the white potato would have around 1g more of fiber.

I'm not running around looking for purple potatoes to save 1g of sugar, and I'll get my flavenoids from red wine and red cabbage instead :smile: They aren't "loaded" with more nutrients nor are they digested differently. It's like the difference between white rice and brown rice. Unless you're eating your weight in the food every day, it's not going to make a difference in your overall nutrition.

s'ok because according to the Harvard school of public health - potatoes are a leading cause of diabetes and obestity (per one of the articles in that blog link)
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    squeaker87 wrote: »
    Someone told my mother that if she would pierce the cartilage of her ear (I can’t think of the name of the part of the ear!) that it would curb her appetite and she would lose weight. So she did it. *insert eye roll*

I haven't heard that one but I have had friends who have had relief from regular migraines by getting daith piercings.
  • CheekyChiq88
    CheekyChiq88 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Don't eat fat!

WHHHHAAA....??

SOME FATS ARE HEALTHY THOOOOUGH!
    haha glad i did know better
  • squeaker87
    squeaker87 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    Someone told my mother that if she would pierce the cartilage of her ear (I can’t think of the name of the part of the ear!) that it would curb her appetite and she would lose weight. So she did it. *insert eye roll*

I haven't heard that one but I have had friends who have had relief from regular migraines by getting daith piercings.

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the same piercing. I’ve heard that it helps with migraines too. I don’t know where on earth my mom heard that it would help her lose weight. But it’s been two years and it’s fair to say that it hasn’t helped her lose any!
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the same piercing. I’ve heard that it helps with migraines too. I don’t know where on earth my mom heard that it would help her lose weight. But it’s been two years and it’s fair to say that it hasn’t helped her lose any!

I recall hearing years ago that pinching your ear when your hungry will help suppress your appetite. They must be related.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    mkculs wrote: »
    --if your child didn't finish it, and you do, it doesn't have calories.
    --if you burn the toast a little, it will have fewer calories.
    --if no one sees you eat it, it doesn't have any calories.

This is, of course, the bad diet "advice" (lies) I gave myself. I'm sure you all have your own, and I know I have many more.

Don't forget "if you eat it while standing up it has fewer calories" that's my fave lie I tell myself