Bad advice?

Options

Replies

• shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    In my office, the general thought is that if a food is considered "healthy", you can eat as much of it as you want. I heard someone the other day advising a co-worker to snack on as many almonds as she wants and she won't gain weight because they are "healthy". Another woman was recommending those huge protein cookies as an alternative to a bag of chips to help lose weight. Protein aside....bag of chips was 120 calories and "healthy" cookie was 400 calories.
    THIS.
  • Candyspun
    Candyspun Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Cutting carbs, going sugar 'free', sweatsuits and body wraps.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    i was just reading a recipe blog and in her recipe for roasted potato/butternut squash...she recommends using purple potatoes because "Besides being loaded with more nutrients, carbohydrates in purple potatoes are digested and absorbed into the blood stream much slower than white potatoes. This helps keep our bodies out of fat making mode. "

Hmmm; I wonder if that's why, as I am prediabetic, I was advised to use red potatoes or sweet potatoes because they are digested more slowly and don't cause a sugar spike.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    i was just reading a recipe blog and in her recipe for roasted potato/butternut squash...she recommends using purple potatoes because "Besides being loaded with more nutrients, carbohydrates in purple potatoes are digested and absorbed into the blood stream much slower than white potatoes. This helps keep our bodies out of fat making mode. "

Color is important; red and purple potatoes have more flavanoids than white ones, and purple potatoes are lower in sugar (lower GI?), although protein, carbs and calories are not much different.
    So in reality the blogger was not incorrect. She probably didn't clarify things well enough.
    https://www.healthsomeness.com/healthiest-potatoes/