Bad advice?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options

VUA21 wrote: »
    "Never lift anything without a spotter." I think I can handle these 5 lb dumbbells without any help, tyvm.

Hahahaha, I've heard the same thing. Also, you don't want to go heavier than 5lb dumbbells or you'll bulk up and end up with arms like a bodybuilder. Yeah, cause I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger curled 5lb dumbbells to get his physique....

So true! The myth that a female just needs to step within a few inches of a dumbbell and she'll turn into the Hulk. Seriously, I wonder where that absolute nonsense came from. Once you're educated it's truly t laughable.

I think it ultimately stems from the vestigial taboo against women exercising at all. You know, because we might become strong and healthy,* or temporarily lose our periods (and thus the reproductive capacity on which our value depends), or (gasp!) actually leave the house....

(*Which, of course, could turn us all into lesbians, don'cha know...)

If you have Amazon Prime, there's a great scene in "The Incredible Ms. Maisel" that shows what was considered a "workout" for women in the late 50s (with the sole aim of getting or keeping a man, of course). I think it was the second episode of season 1.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    "Never lift anything without a spotter." I think I can handle these 5 lb dumbbells without any help, tyvm.

Hahahaha, I've heard the same thing. Also, you don't want to go heavier than 5lb dumbbells or you'll bulk up and end up with arms like a bodybuilder. Yeah, cause I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger curled 5lb dumbbells to get his physique....

So true! The myth that a female just needs to step within a few inches of a dumbbell and she'll turn into the Hulk. Seriously, I wonder where that absolute nonsense came from. Once you're educated it's truly t laughable.

I think it ultimately stems from the vestigial taboo against women exercising at all. You know, because we might become strong and healthy,* or temporarily lose our periods (and thus the reproductive capacity on which our value depends), or (gasp!) actually leave the house....

If you have Amazon Prime, there's a great scene in "The Incredible Ms. Maisel" that shows what was considered a "workout" for women in the late 50s (with the sole aim of getting or keeping a man, of course). I think it was the second episode of season 1.

Did it involve Kegels? o:)
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

Upper Middle Class Women in the late 1950's didn't have pelvic floors (or vaginas). They gave birth by Caesarean section, after having conceived by drinking out of the same glass of water as their husband. ;)

Well that doesn't sound like much fun to practice. :disappointed:
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,127 Member
    Options

Upper Middle Class Women in the late 1950's didn't have pelvic floors (or vaginas). They gave birth by Caesarean section, after having conceived by drinking out of the same glass of water as their husband. ;)

Not the 1950s I lived in. But we weren't Upper Middle Class.

TV about the 1950s is not the 1950s as the 1950s were for most. Heh.

Mom did try that vibration belt machine thing once or twice, though.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    ladyreva78 wrote: »
    if you shake your salad in a closed tupperware (as in to try and coat every last delicious bit with salad dressing), the veggies will lose all of their nutrients and cause you to gain weight.

I thought that it shakes the calories out of it! That's why I ask for my martinis shaken, not stirred.

I remember someone here said his/her coworker told them that if they shook the salad it would be less calories. is this what you are referring too as well? if so I remember that too lol
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    the one I like the most is. weight train while losing weight because building muscle takes the place of fat and muscle weighs more than fat. so you will build a lot of muscle and lose the same amount of fat.

another one is waist trainers will make you sweat more therefore burning fat if you use one when working out and it makes you lose inches faster.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    On the other side of the coin, when I lost a bunch of weight I had several people ask me how I did it. I could see the disappointment on their faces when I said I just count all my calories and stay in a deficit. It’s like they wanted me to give them bad advice 😜

They wanted you to tell them about some miracle pill or the latest fad diet.
  • DoubleUbea
    DoubleUbea Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    "make sure you work out in the mornings, dont leave it till the evening because you will be too tiered, eat food instead of work out and that food then sits in your tummy all night turning to fat because you dont work out to burn it of"

When I was in the best shape of my life I used to work out in the mornings... but I worked third shift, after the gym I would go to bed.

I have heard the don't eat before you go to bed thing several times throughout my life.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I have also been told to eat breakfast to lose weight as it boosts metabolism. yeah no
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I felt sooooo left out I have been racking my brain trying to think of anything.
    Best I have is something someone said to my sister.

Don't eat melon after your meal as all the water will flush the nutrients out.

Cheers, h.

@nutmegoreo, if you are short of pine cones, hit me up. I will swear all the neighbours pine cones land in my back garden. (Will need a percentage of profit)