Bad advice?

Options

Replies

• nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I felt sooooo left out I have been racking my brain trying to think of anything.
    Best I have is something someone said to my sister.

Don't eat melon after your meal as all the water will flush the nutrients out.

Cheers, h.

@nutmegoreo, if you are short of pine cones, hit me up. I will swear all the neighbours pine cones land in my back garden. (Will need a percentage of profit)

Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be taking off much. I have two pine trees, and I have enough pine cones to cover my non-existent orders.
  • KeRAWRi
    KeRAWRi Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    That peanuts were unhealthy.

• Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    "Never lift anything without a spotter." I think I can handle these 5 lb dumbbells without any help, tyvm.

Hahahaha, I've heard the same thing. Also, you don't want to go heavier than 5lb dumbbells or you'll bulk up and end up with arms like a bodybuilder. Yeah, cause I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger curled 5lb dumbbells to get his physique....

So true! The myth that a female just needs to step within a few inches of a dumbbell and she'll turn into the Hulk. Seriously, I wonder where that absolute nonsense came from. Once you're educated it's truly t laughable.

I think it ultimately stems from the vestigial taboo against women exercising at all. You know, because we might become strong and healthy,* or temporarily lose our periods (and thus the reproductive capacity on which our value depends), or (gasp!) actually leave the house....

(*Which, of course, could turn us all into lesbians, don'cha know...)

If you have Amazon Prime, there's a great scene in "The Incredible Ms. Maisel" that shows what was considered a "workout" for women in the late 50s (with the sole aim of getting or keeping a man, of course). I think it was the second episode of season 1.

Did it involve Kegels? o:)
    Upper Middle Class Women in the late 1950's didn't have pelvic floors (or vaginas). They gave birth by Caesarean section, after having conceived by drinking out of the same glass of water as their husband. ;)

Not the 1950s I lived in. But we weren't Upper Middle Class.

TV about the 1950s is not the 1950s as the 1950s were for most. Heh.

Mom did try that vibration belt machine thing once or twice, though.
    I don't think anybody actually lived like that (certainly not the glass of water thing, anyway ;) ). But, when I was growing up, that was the sort of ideal that it seemed like women were meant to aspire to.
  • thisPGHlife
    thisPGHlife Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »
    VUA21 wrote: »
    "Never lift anything without a spotter." I think I can handle these 5 lb dumbbells without any help, tyvm.

Hahahaha, I've heard the same thing. Also, you don't want to go heavier than 5lb dumbbells or you'll bulk up and end up with arms like a bodybuilder. Yeah, cause I'm sure Arnold Schwarzenegger curled 5lb dumbbells to get his physique....

So true! The myth that a female just needs to step within a few inches of a dumbbell and she'll turn into the Hulk. Seriously, I wonder where that absolute nonsense came from. Once you're educated it's truly t laughable.

I think it ultimately stems from the vestigial taboo against women exercising at all. You know, because we might become strong and healthy,* or temporarily lose our periods (and thus the reproductive capacity on which our value depends), or (gasp!) actually leave the house....

(*Which, of course, could turn us all into lesbians, don'cha know...)

If you have Amazon Prime, there's a great scene in "The Incredible Ms. Maisel" that shows what was considered a "workout" for women in the late 50s (with the sole aim of getting or keeping a man, of course). I think it was the second episode of season 1.

Did it involve Kegels? o:)
    Upper Middle Class Women in the late 1950's didn't have pelvic floors (or vaginas). They gave birth by Caesarean section, after having conceived by drinking out of the same glass of water as their husband. ;)

Well that doesn't sound like much fun to practice. :disappointed:

Oh you can practice all you want but you won't get pregnant. How's his man juice supposed to find your floating vagina?! (Medical professionals used to think that your vagina didn't stay in place and just floated around inside you. It was their justification for so many stupid things.)

My favorite bad advice was from my mom. It wasn't exactly advice but when I finally mentioned offhand that I had been eating better and she was appalled at me drinking a diet Coke. First, some weeks I have none, some weeks I have five. 12 oz cans mind you. It's better than when I was drinking at least one 20oz regular soda a day. Now I drink a cup of coffee and the rest of my day is usually water or flavored sparkling water. Secondly, she was the queen of diet Coke. Who do you think I got it from? Thirdly, she thinks Fresca is better. They literally both have aspertame. And lastly, that's not what made me fat and it's not what will keep me from getting not fat.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    I heard this one today. I was buying some stuff at the corner store today and picked up a Snickers. The guy who works there has been watching me shrink, and we're friendly. He always asks me about weight loss stuff because he's obese. He asked me if it was my cheat day today. I said, no, I don't do cheat days. He said "If you eat candy on diet days you won't lose weight, and you absolutely should have cheat days or your metabolism will slow down. I want what's best for you, if you want to eat this candy bar it's best if you make today a cheat day".

You: "Well, this method has been successful for me so far! I prefer a moderation method rather than a starve and binge method that nets zero weight loss." ;)
  • leonadixon
    leonadixon Posts: 479 Member
    edited August 2018
    Options
    squeaker87 wrote: »
    Lillymoo01 wrote: »
    squeaker87 wrote: »
    Someone told my mother that if she would pierce the cartilage of her ear (I can’t think of the name of the part of the ear!) that it would curb her appetite and she would lose weight. So she did it. *insert eye roll*

I haven't heard that one but I have had friends who have had relief from regular migraines by getting daith piercings.

Yeah I’m pretty sure that’s the same piercing. I’ve heard that it helps with migraines too. I don’t know where on earth my mom heard that it would help her lose weight. But it’s been two years and it’s fair to say that it hasn’t helped her lose any!

I tried this in desperation for migraine. It didn't help at all, but my ears look great! :wink:
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    “If you were obese as a child, you will always be overweight. Your body won’t allow you to lose weight if you were overweight when you were young. It means you were born with the gentics to be overweight.”
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    “If you were obese as a child, you will always be overweight. Your body won’t allow you to lose weight if you were overweight when you were young. It means you were born with the gentics to be overweight.”

or the look at your parents,if they are thin you will be thin if fat you will be fat.