Bad advice?

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,966 Member
    Options
    FireOpalCO wrote: »

Right?!?! Anyways what about all the bulk stacks and end caps full of junk food? So by that logic, if I load my cart up with the 10 for 10 deal on Pringles and Monster energy drinks I found, It's healthy because I did not shop in the center. I get the logic of that advice (to buy less junk food), but why don't they just say "If you want to avoid junk food, start in the produce isle first, then the meats, thenhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/QELi1-8wKyU/maxresdefault.jpg work your way to the center isles." Either way, I'm bound to walk by the latest flavor of Oreo's (or whatever) no matter if I start in the cereal isle or if I start in the produce. Strategically placed products intended to get one to buy are not limited to eye level center isle items.

I'm waiting for them to release "Oreo Flavored Oreos".

maxresdefault.jpg

How is an Oreo not already cookies and cream flavored? Are the outsides not cookies? Is the inside not supposed to be a creamy thing or cream-like substitute?

Do not try to resist the Cookies & Creme Oreo with mere logic. The only thing stronger than the Cookies & Creme Oreo would be a bacon-sea salt-chili dark chocolate bar (she says, hopeful that it might be a real thing, and someone will post a pic to prove it. Please.)
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options

Right?!?! Anyways what about all the bulk stacks and end caps full of junk food? So by that logic, if I load my cart up with the 10 for 10 deal on Pringles and Monster energy drinks I found, It's healthy because I did not shop in the center. I get the logic of that advice (to buy less junk food), but why don't they just say "If you want to avoid junk food, start in the produce isle first, then the meats, thenhttps://i.ytimg.com/vi/QELi1-8wKyU/maxresdefault.jpg work your way to the center isles." Either way, I'm bound to walk by the latest flavor of Oreo's (or whatever) no matter if I start in the cereal isle or if I start in the produce. Strategically placed products intended to get one to buy are not limited to eye level center isle items.

maxresdefault.jpg

How is an Oreo not already cookies and cream flavored? Are the outsides not cookies? Is the inside not supposed to be a creamy thing or cream-like substitute?
    Yes, I also was mystified by cookies-&-cream Oreos. I guess they go well with chocolate cocoa?

(Just had a genius marketing idea! I'm going to move back to LA, and set up a snack stand selling cookies-&-cream Oreos and chocolate cocoa - or else maybe cocoa-flavored chocolate milk - at the La Brea Tar Pits! ;) )
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    My "favorite" is that I should stop eating oatmeal for breakfast everyday bc grains make you fat. I always point out that horses eat oats and it's rare to see a fat horse. Then, he counters with something like, horses have adapted to digesting grains and people haven't. 😩
    Granted, this is all coming from my thin/fit husband, who eats whatever he wants and doesn't even believe that stuff. He just says that to annoy me, and unfortunately, it always works.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

Do not try to resist the Cookies & Creme Oreo with mere logic. The only thing stronger than the Cookies & Creme Oreo would be a bacon-sea salt-chili dark chocolate bar (she says, hopeful that it might be a real thing, and someone will post a pic to prove it. Please.)

k2a2vzo8o1hg.jpg - no chili but close...
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    current-food-pyramid-8.jpg
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

Yes, I also was mystified by cookies-&-cream Oreos. I guess they go well with chocolate cocoa?

(Just had a genius marketing idea! I'm going to move back to LA, and set up a snack stand selling cookies-&-cream Oreos and chocolate cocoa - or else maybe cocoa-flavored chocolate milk - at the La Brea Tar Pits! ;) )

Is this "chocolate cocoa" phrase a regionalism? I'm from the U.S. (Middle Atlantic region), and I have never heard of this. Is cocoa that's not chocolate a common thing that's served in whatever region you're from?

I'm familiar with "hot cocoa" or "hot chocolate" as a phrase that I assume developed to make it clear that people were talking about the drink and not the baking squares or the powdered stuff for baking, making fudge, and making hot cocoa from scratch. Is that what "chocolate cocoa" means -- a hot drink?
  • beerfoamy
    beerfoamy Posts: 1,521 Member
    Options
    Sloth2016 wrote: »
    My favorite is "listen to your body"

Yeah, right. The only thing my body ever tells me is how nice it would be to swallow a couple a cheesecakes whole...

Preferably whilst lying in bed watching Netflix.

With a side order of pizza and fries

Sounds like my Fri night is sorted! :D
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

Is this "chocolate cocoa" phrase a regionalism? I'm from the U.S. (Middle Atlantic region), and I have never heard of this. Is cocoa that's not chocolate a common thing that's served in whatever region you're from?

I'm familiar with "hot cocoa" or "hot chocolate" as a phrase that I assume developed to make it clear that people were talking about the drink and not the baking squares or the powdered stuff for baking, making fudge, and making hot cocoa from scratch. Is that what "chocolate cocoa" means -- a hot drink?
    Oops, no, sorry.

I was trying for a joke mimicking the apparent redundancy of Cookies-&-Cream flavored Oreos by saying that I would sell "chocolate" cocoa (which, yes, if it's cocoa, it's made from chocolate) and "cocoa-flavored" chocolate milk (which, yes, likewise).

And the bit about the La Brea Tar Pits is a regionalism: it's sort of a local joke in LA that "La Brea" is Spanish for "The Tar," which makes "the La Brea Tar Pits" translate literally as "the 'The Tar' Tar Pits."

Oh!! I'm sorry I missed the joke. I must have been tired, because you were definitely on target with the theme of the thread. And I didn't know "brea" means "tar." They should include that on the signs. Or if they do, I guess I missed it or forgot it.
  • Evelyn_Gorfram
    Evelyn_Gorfram Posts: 706 Member
    Options

maxresdefault.jpg

Oops, no, sorry.

I was trying for a joke mimicking the apparent redundancy of Cookies-&-Cream flavored Oreos by saying that I would sell "chocolate" cocoa (which, yes, if it's cocoa, it's made from chocolate) and "cocoa-flavored" chocolate milk (which, yes, likewise).

And the bit about the La Brea Tar Pits is a regionalism: it's sort of a local joke in LA that "La Brea" is Spanish for "The Tar," which makes "the La Brea Tar Pits" translate literally as "the 'The Tar' Tar Pits."

Oh!! I'm sorry I missed the joke. I must have been tired, because you were definitely on target with the theme of the thread. And I didn't know "brea" means "tar." They should include that on the signs. Or if they do, I guess I missed it or forgot it.
    No, it's not on the signs (AFAIK). It's just some that drunk Angelenos tell each other when they've run out of good jokes.

• cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I have been maintaining a healthy weight for @ 2 years now, and I regularly have overweight coworkers, family, and friends telling me I will end up gaining it back if I don't cut out "carbs and sugar" as much as possible. I'm also routinely scolded for drinking diet soda - "You know that just makes you more hungry, right?"

I went to one of those "painting parties" where everyone copies a painting, and sat with a very large woman who had just had gastric bypass surgery. She spent the whole night pontificating on the evils of sugar and how it's making us all fat and how I should really switch to low carb or else I would end up overweight like she did. Obviously she didn't know me, so didn't know my history :neutral:

This! Why is it that when I have obviously been successful with the program I did they feel I must switch to Low Carb eating? If that's working for them great, but I'm just as happy with my lifestyle and I've maintained it.
  • smolmaus
    smolmaus Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    kazminchu wrote: »
    I'm afraid I give myself the same bit of bad advice all the time, which is "eating the whole sleeve/pack/bar in one go is better than spreading it over a few days, because my stomach will somehow be overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of calories and forget to process some?"
    Also "and then I definitely won't overeat on subsequent days either so it'll work out fine in the long run".
    Ha. Haha. Hahahaha. :|

Where did we both get this insane bad-logic from lol

Not technically advice but I lost about 20lb in between seeing my aunt for a while (between Easter and Christmas I think) and she said I must have started eating gluten again and that's how I lost it. Deliberately malnourishing myself so I have zero energy ever, terrible skin and constant hunger, waving goodbye to solid poop AND increasing my cancer risk? Sign me the hell up!

Guess I know now that she would definitely try that if she had ceoliac. She didn't like my real answer; "Eat less food".