September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    As we move into a season change, I thought it a good time to remind everyone of how the different temperature scales work with respect to humans out doors...
    w9rkiv2ol1lg.png

I disagree with 0c being fairly cold outside given its literally freezing. Celsius makes a lot of sense when you think about it, 0 is the temperature water freezes and 100 is the temperature it boils (at sea level)

But granted when you compare it to Fahrenheit...

-40 is the best temp - both are the same lol
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    As we move into a season change, I thought it a good time to remind everyone of how the different temperature scales work with respect to humans out doors...
    w9rkiv2ol1lg.png

I disagree with 0c being fairly cold outside given its literally freezing. Celsius makes a lot of sense when you think about it, 0 is the temperature water freezes and 100 is the temperature it boils (at sea level)

I think that's all relative to what you're used to. Our winters regularly drift between 0 F and 0 C, and I'd only call one of those "really cold" - the other counts as "warm" come January or February! My family in CA, on the other hand, would agree that 0 C is much more than just "fairly cold".
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    Great job @katharmonic! Love the medal!

Great job to @midweserner85 also! Great PRs.

@travelling_lots That was a close call with the skunk. I was freaked out when I "ran into" one last week and he was at least 5 yards away from me.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    w9rkiv2ol1lg.png

Also, hard pass on -40. The coldest I’ve personally experienced was around -27F/-32C, and it was brutal.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    @travelling_lots That was a close call with the skunk. I was freaked out when I "ran into" one last week and he was at least 5 yards away from me. [/quote]

It was not nice.
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    Great job @katharmonic! Love the medal!

Great job to @midweserner85 also! Great PRs.

@travelling_lots That was a close call with the skunk. I was freaked out when I "ran into" one last week and he was at least 5 yards away from me.

@kgirlhart Did you get sprayed? I tell you very stressful situations and I think we’re not in matting season yet. Or did we pass it ?

I think I’m going start carrying my head light just because they nocturnal and the dont like it ,hopefully they’ll stay far away

@kgirlhart Did you finish ok with you skunk friend? You didn’t get sprayed right ?

@midweserner85 sounded like a good race. Hope you had fun.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,025 Member
    Options
    @travelling _lots Thankfully I did not get sprayed. Once I past him I looked back and he did raise his tail, but I guess he wasn't too threatened and I just kept on going.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Teerai wrote: »
    w9rkiv2ol1lg.png

Also, hard pass on -40. The coldest I’ve personally experienced was around -27F/-32C, and it was brutal.

Lol, -50 even more so! The look you have on your face when you leave the house, whether smile or frown, is the same look you have when you get where you are going :D
    And have to agree that 0C is almost tropic warming in some icy winters!

LOL definitely perspective. I live in the "winter less far north" (southern hemisphere), our lowest temp this winter was I think 2 degrees. Mostly we got to 4 as a low. So yeah 0 feels freezing to me haha
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 26.29 miles for a certified marathon is pretty good tangents. I tend to come in around 26.4 for a certified marathon. That's just the race distance; I don't record the jog (or, this year, walk) from the corral to the starting mat.

To be fair, I've only completed 2 certified courses, Buffalo and Boston.

I was thinking the same thing. I have been known to gain over a MILE on a certified course :) But yea, start the watch when you cross the chip timing line, and stop it when you cross again. That is a marathon, pretty much no matter what your watch says. :)

I started the watch as I crossed the start mat and just after crossing the finish mat. My watch time ended up 1s longer than the official time because I didn't stop it fast enough.

As to the relatively small tangents, this started in a small town (wide roads) for the first <2 miles and the last 2 miles were in a small town (wide roads) also. The rest was on a rails-to-trails biking/running/walking trail, which means it is about as wide as a railroad track. There would not be much back and forth or zigging / zagging along the majority of the course. I did try to get relatively close to the right tangents in towns, but I know I wasn't perfect. In the last mile, there is a right turn, then several blocks to a left turn. After the right turn, I went to the left too fast and wandered back towards the right side of the street before the left-hand turn. I was going to high-five the cops directing traffic (on right side of that intersection). Since I know I am not winning, I figure I can spend time thanking volunteers and public service employees who help support the race.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @travelling _lots Thankfully I did not get sprayed. Once I past him I looked back and he did raise his tail, but I guess he wasn't too threatened and I just kept on going.

Oh right. So we are just scared with the memory for awhile.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    09/01/18 :::: 18.2 :::: 18.2
    09/02/18 :::: 5.4 :::: 23.6
    09/03/18 :::: 6.3 :::: 29.9
    09/04/18 :::: 2.1 :::: 32.0
    09/05/18 :::: 6.5 :::: 38.5
    09/06/18 :::: 0.0 :::: 38.5
    09/07/18 :::: 1.7 :::: 40.2
    09/08/18 :::: 13.3 :::: 53.5

The Dunkin Run Arc Race half marathon was this morning. As promised, the weather cooperated and it was in the upper 50s and blessedly NOT HUMID at the start. It felt so good to be a little chilly waiting to start. I had a good talk with my coach this week as I debated whether to really race this one or just use it as a long run (and add on) or something in between. He's not a fan of that in between idea at all, so he encouraged me to figure out the pace I needed to match my previous PR, hold that for the first 6-7 miles, and then see if I felt like I could maintain or even go faster to go for a new PR.

I more or less followed this advice. I aimed for a 10 min average pace, which I figured would put me a bit ahead of my PR, but I might not be able to maintain it the whole time. I was a little faster for the first mile and then hovered around or slightly under the 10 min pace for the rest of the race. I felt ok, but was struggling with my water belt shifting, and my shorts were not quite right somehow, and then I felt my allergies kicking in. Ugh, I wanted to use those excuses to slow down but I was too stubborn about trying to hold that pace. I ended up with an official time of 2:10:41, which was almost a 3 minute PR for me, and an average pace of 9:59. As the race was sponsored by Dunkin Donuts, I celebrated by eating a bunch of their munchkins (donut holes). The medal was really cute - had a donut that you can "dunk" in and out of the coffee. The picture below is on my medal rack, which is FULL and I need a new one!

e5abez5ai6df.jpg

Really happy with how this turned out, and feeling good about how my strength and running are progressing as I get closer to my marathon. 7 weeks away, so still lots of running to do, including getting up to 20 miles.

Love the medal. Congrats!
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    @ContraryMaryMary Wow, that is a lot of mud! Reminds me of one of the mud runs I did a few years ago, although the whole point of that WAS to get muddy! Sorry you fell!