September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    I'm not understanding that saying. Plus I don't understand sarcasm so I'm confused here.
    Does it mean it's a dump?
    To me the photo looks beautiful I would love to run there. 7aa5m2qlkdc2.png

Glad you went out and ran, don't give in to the nervousness from the unknown. Stand your ground, that's the same feeling I always had the two days before cheerleading and I used to go over and over it in my head till a few hours before. Then 5 min into it ...was screw it, I know it, I can, here we go. It always turned out well.

Ÿou will do amazing.

I see your running and your run is Sunday.
    I've always used this graph. Not because I've ever run a half, but always done long distance intervals at a 7:30 pace See what you think.
    You may already have your own. This is from years ago and it's been good. Oops it pasted above. Oh well :-)

In regards to pacing, some people I know have it set on their garmin to beep when they are going to fast. i think it was the garmin. maybe someone here can shed some light on that if your garmin is compatible. Hopefully that way you can have consistency from the start and not get tired sooner than you should.

You go girl!

That was definitely sarcasm - I am amazingly fortunate to have such a beautiful place to run! As for the Prince lyric, it's from a song called "Rock'n'Roll is Alive (And it Lives in Minneapolis)". I believe he's saying that he's confident that the drive around Lake of the Isles (which is the name of the lake I ran around) is a nice one, and he's equally confidant that Rock'n'roll will never die. "Minnehaha flow" references the name of several Minneapolis landmarks, including a creek and a waterfall, which presumably will also never die. :D

7:30 would be waaaaaay too fast for me if we're talking minutes/mile, but minutes/k wouldn't be bad. I think the 2:30 finish pacer will be a good speed for me. I use an Apple Watch and I don't think it has that function, but I'm going to check now because that would be really useful!

ETA: It looks like pace alerts is coming in the next OS upgrade but isn't available yet. Dang!
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I'm not understanding that saying. Plus I don't understand sarcasm so I'm confused here.

Glad you went out and ran, don't give in to the nervousness from the unknown. Stand your ground, that's the same feeling I always had the two days before cheerleading and I used to go over and over it in my head till a few hours before. Then 5 min into it ...was screw it, I know it, I can, here we go. It always turned out well.

Ÿou will do amazing.

I've always used this graph. Not because I've ever run a half, but always done long distance intervals at a 7:30 pace See what you think.
    You may already have your own. This is from years ago and it's been good. Oops it pasted above. Oh well :-)

In regards to pacing, some people I know have it set on their garmin to beep when they are going to fast. i think it was the garmin. maybe someone here can shed some light on that if your garmin is compatible. Hopefully that way you can have consistency from the start and not get tired sooner than you should.

You go girl!

That was definitely sarcasm - I am amazingly fortunate to have such a beautiful place to run! As for the Prince lyric, it's from a song called "Rock'n'Roll is Alive (And it Lives in Minneapolis)". I believe he's saying that he's confident that the drive around Lake of the Isles (which is the name of the lake I ran around) is a nice one, and he's equally confidant that Rock'n'roll will never die. "Minnehaha flow" references the name of several Minneapolis landmarks, including a creek and a waterfall, which presumably will also never die. :D

7:30 would be waaaaaay too fast for me if we're talking minutes/mile, but minutes/k wouldn't be bad. I think the 2:30 finish pacer will be a good speed for me. I use an Apple Watch and I don't think it has that function, but I'm going to check now because that would be really useful!

ETA: It looks like pace alerts is coming in the next OS upgrade but isn't available yet. Dang!

Thanks, that makes sense now :-)
    It is beautiful!
    Let's hope it's around and never dies. We need more places like that. You are very fortunate!

Oh man, that's too bad about the pace alerts. My garmin 235 doesn't do pace alerts and I was thinking of an Apple Watch.
    How are you finding yours? How long have you had it? What model? Sorry lots of questions. I'm actually saving up for one.

My pace was of 7:30 based on km. I was told when I go back this time it will never be faster than 8:00 pace. And I'm ok with that. I would be grateful to get out and jog even at a 9:00 pace. As long as I'm out.

Now, I was told that there are assigned pacers on some 1/2 marathons. Maybe you should reach out to them and confirm, then on race day maybe you can run close to one that is your pace and go from there.

The chart I sent was for 1/2 marathon training chart if you didn't have one. It's so you don't over train and ease up on runs before your race day.
    I've used it so I don't injure myself ie. even if I've ran 10km 5 days straight and I had a bad day on the 6th that chart kept me from exceeding distance. Just because I wanted to destress. This chart is in miles I just convert it to km but I still used it.
    So passed it on just in case for you. :-)

But at least you have a beautiful watch and when iOS comes through you will have a complete and beautiful watch for your next 1/2 marathon.

• MegaMooseEsq
    Options

Ÿou will do amazing.

You go girl!

Thanks, that makes sense now :-)
    It is beautiful!
    Let's hope it's around and never dies. We need more places like that. You are very fortunate!

Oh man, that's too bad about the pace alerts. My garmin 235 doesn't do pace alerts and I was thinking of an Apple Watch.
    How are you finding yours? How long have you had it? What model? Sorry lots of questions. I'm actually saving up for one.

My pace was of 7:30 based on km. I was told when I go back this time it will never be faster than 8:00 pace. And I'm ok with that. I would be grateful to get out and jog even at a 9:00 pace. As long as I'm out.

Now, I was told that there are assigned pacers on some 1/2 marathons. Maybe you should reach out to them and confirm, then on race day maybe you can run close to one that is your pace and go from there.

The chart I sent was for 1/2 marathon training chart if you didn't have one. It's so you don't over train and ease up on runs before your race day.
    I've used it so I don't injure myself ie. even if I've ran 10km 5 days straight and I had a bad day on the 6th that chart kept me from exceeding distance. Just because I wanted to destress. This chart is in miles I just convert it to km but I still used it.
    So passed it on just in case for you. :-)

But at least you have a beautiful watch and when iOS comes through you will have a complete and beautiful watch for your next 1/2 marathon.

No worries! I really like the Apple Watch, especially since my husband is a full-on Apple nerd so basically all our devices are Apples and work together pretty nicely (I can use the watch to unlock my laptop, for example, or ping my phone if I can't find it). I have the Watch 3 and haven't had any issues with it on runs so far. I know some folks have run up on the battery limit but I think that was around the 5+ hours of continual use range. I got it in October when the 3 first came out. I'd guess that there are better dedicated fitness trackers, but I like having the smartwatch functions as well, so it works well for me.
  • travelling_lots
    Options
    Oh right on. I was looking at the 3. And yes, because it's a smart watch. I'm tired of looking for my phone when someone messages. By the time I have the money saved the next one will be out. Thank you.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    Options
    Oh right on. I was looking at the 3. And yes, because it's a smart watch. I'm tired of looking for my phone when someone messages. By the time I have the money saved the next one will be out. Thank you.

Also, what I said about the battery limit was for 5+ hours using the workout function not connected to a phone. Normal daily usage I've never run out of battery if I charge it overnight.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    In for 50 miles again! Really missed the mark in August. I have been on vacation x 2 weeks, and have done a lot of walking but no real running.

August 6.....5.22 miles on the Monon trail. First run in 2 weeks due to being on vacation. The first 2 miles were really hard, was out of breath despite being in the zone. After 3 miles, felt better and got some sprints in. Light rain for the first mile, then it stopped. Temperature was 72 degrees, humidity at 64%, dew point was 72. Honestly felt very humid and hot.

Looking forward to seeing how everyone is doing this month.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    9/1 - 9.84 km

9.84/110 km

My coach says since my next race is a trail race I should do my long runs on trails so I decided to do that today. Not even thinking that it's been raining every evening the past 3 nights. Pretty much a slippy slidey mudfest, but a nice run regardless. I decided to run a preview of the race route except I'm pretty sure I ran it the wrong way as I started on tech single track and ended on double wide. Meant I got to coast back to the parking lot so it was all good!

r9301nnvbtte.jpg
    atcma8rw2cau.jpg
    lp3nb9wxe52o.jpg
    c9k076hezdiu.jpg
    5ub2l4eay4v2.jpg
    kcaj7znifeos.jpg
    4wnp8aa7kifc.jpg
    wvcpo385i9rr.jpg

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish 2:03:15
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K 2:03:04
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race 1:30:16
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon) 3:12:something
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 4Kish 39:49
    9/22/18 Heartbeat Run 10K
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle

2019:
    5/5/19 BMO Vancouver Marathon (Half)
    8/17/19 Edmonton Marathon

Beautiful pictures. Good luck on your race! So looking forward to Autumn!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,450 Member
    Options
    @travelling_lots the Forerunner 235 does have pace alerts. You just have to set up a workout and indicate pace as the metric to monitor.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

To be clear the Garmins, Fitbits, and others all display text messages, caller ID, and the other alerts just like a "smart watch" - I honestly did not lose a single feature that I used on the Apple Watch when I dumped it for the Gramin. Instead, I gained far superior battery life and fitness features. So for me, and for my use, it was a win-win all the way around.

What watch you wear is a VERY personal decision though, so choose wisely - but choose the one that works best for YOU no matter what anyone on this thread says :D
  • travelling_lots
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @travelling_lots the Forerunner 235 does have pace alerts. You just have to set up a workout and indicate pace as the metric to monitor.

What?
    Oh my goodness.
    I had no idea.
    Okay, so I checked the watch your right it does.
    But on the watch itself doesn't give me the option to set the pace. Just to show or not
    It may be going onto the actual site. I don't have the manual, but I'm going to check it out.
    Thank you!
  • travelling_lots
    Options

To be clear the Garmins, Fitbits, and others all display text messages, caller ID, and the other alerts just like a "smart watch" - I honestly did not lose a single feature that I used on the Apple Watch when I dumped it for the Gramin. Instead, I gained far superior battery life and fitness features. So for me, and for my use, it was a win-win all the way around.

What watch you wear is a VERY personal decision though, so choose wisely - but choose the one that works best for YOU no matter what anyone on this thread says :D

Thank you, I'm going to have to do more research, after I set up my garmin to utilize it while I save. I'll research and see which way I go. This makes a big difference.

@MegaMooseEsq I too have all my products apple. My watch was the only thing out of place. But now, I may be looking at it in a different way. :-)

Who knows with research I may just end up with a newer model of garmin when I have the money thanks to @PastorVincent