September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @MegaMooseEsq Run the half! Better organization, trails you are familiar with, and like @PastorVincent said even if you miss the cutoff you will have a time to shoot for next year. Go for the gusto, you can do it!

Aw thank you all - I knew y'all would help me put my head on straight.
    @MegaMooseEsq I’m with pastor Vincent. The 10k looks a little of a disaster. Too much unknown which to me is the possibility of many things going wrong. The HM sounds a better choice
    PLUS:

You sound like your up for the HM in many ways,
    -Know the area well ,feel comfortable
    -Your body has run it ,and knows what to expect
    -Better organized to narrow risks down
    -if you’ve done it several times I would say you enjoy it too, that to me is half the battle
    -you sound more positive just talking about it
    -you know your limitations
    -knowing your limits and willing to work with them is important
    -if your willing and be fine to walk it when needed or finish walking if you have to, that is key, its the other half of completing your goal.

-ultimately knowing, listening to your body, while having fun.
    To me makes a successful finish with walks or not makes a realistic race.

I’ve never done a race to win but yes to have fun and finish. Never been injured and walked away with a finish metal only. But to this day I have no regrets and feel happy I did them.
    But
    Yes the unknown can get the best of us,

reason for me I have to put all the pros and cons out and outweigh them.
    But I’m like that with everything.

It will still be ok if you let it pass if your not comfortable with it. There will be other races.

That’s how I would look at things.

Thank you for all of this. I think you hit on everything I needed to hear. I don't think that I have anything against smaller races, but I don't want to put my time and money and effort into something that isn't going to be well organized. Off-the-cuff just isn't my jam and thinking about it stresses me out. As for the half, it does look like fun and you're both right - the worst that could happen is I miss the cutoff and have something extra to work toward for the half in October.

Well, the worst that could happen is I get hurt, but 1) I don't think I'm stupidly overreaching given how much I've been running the last several weeks, and 2) I could get hurt, oh, I don't know, trimming the sunflowers in the front yard by sticking my thumb in front of the flipping pruning shears, just to pick a totally random example that didn't happen a half hour ago or anything.

Signed up for Sunday!

Congratulations on your first step!

You will be fine, be cautious but don’t think of injuries. Go have fun while you give it your best.

I think we are all here for you and will be cheering you on no matter what.

Looking forward to your posting Sunday night. Your hands won’t do the running so they’ll be fine to type and let us know how you did.

Big hug and all the best!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    September Running Totals (miles)

9/1 – rest day
    9/2 – 15.80 warmup + Oak Tree Half
    9/3 – rest day
    9/4 – 7.23 warmup + XC workout
    9/5 – 6.02 group run
    9/6 – 6.05 warmup + XC workout

September running total to date – 35.10

Nominal September mileage goal: 165 miles

Real Goals: Run Oak Tree well, winning my age group and finishing healthy. Build base/train toward Wineglass, running PG XC #1 so as not to be injured, and running the USATF Masters XC Championship so as not to be injured. Run Wineglass easy, finishing healthy for a good recovery in October.

Today's notes – Much cooler this evening, 77º F (25º C). Still pretty humid, but somehow it doesn't bother me as much when it's cooler.

Went to club practice, ran the 2 mile warmup, and decided to run the cross country workout pretty much as written: 10 minutes at threshold, 3 minutes recovery, 2 set of 15-second cutbacks starting at 60 seconds. Ran about three quarters of a mile easy with a friend before he peeled off to run the workout with a slower group, then ran the workout in loops on the grass, sticking reasonably close to a cross country course that I've run in this location. "Reasonably," because the course wasn't marked any more, my memory is imperfect, and I did need to avoid the kickball games. But it still gave me some nice running on grass with flattish areas and some minor up and down hills.

I may not have run the 10 minutes as hard as intended, but it was harder than easy and it felt good. And all of a sudden, I realize that I'm training for cross country season even though the top priority on my schedule is a road marathon. Oh, well. Running on grass is unlikely to injure me, and staying uninjured is right up there in priority. Just have to maintain a good enough base to support a marathon, and remember to taper after next week.

2018 races:
    February 17, 2018 Freezeroo #5 (Valentines Run "In Memory of Tom Brannon" 8 Mile) (Greece, NY) finished in 54:48
    February 24, 2018 Freezeroo #6 (White House Challenge 4.4 mile) (Webster, NY) finished in 28:46
    March 17, 2018 USATF Masters 8K (Shamrock 8K, Virginia Beach, VA) finished in 31:55
    March 24, 2018 Spring Forward 15K (Mendon, NY) ran at MP, finished in 1:10:47
    April 16, 2018 Boston Marathon (Hopkinton, MA) finished in 3:28:43
    April 29, 2018 USATF Masters 10K (James Joyce Ramble, Dedham, MA) finished in 41:33
    May 20, 2018 Lilac 10K (Rochester, NY) finished in 42:21
    May 26, 2018 Sunset House 5K (Rochester, NY) finished in 20:12
    June 3, 2018 USATF Masters Half Marathon (Ann Arbor, MI) finished in 1:34:42
    June 9, 2018 Ontario Summit Trail Half Marathon (Naples, NY) DNS - injury
    June 17, 2018 Medved 5K to Cure ALS (Rochester, NY) short course, 18:04 for ~2.9 miles
    June 30, 2018 Charlie's Old Goat Trail Run 5 mile (Victor, NY) 4.89 miles by Garmin, 43:15
    July 14, 2018 Shoreline Half Marathon (Hamlin, NY) finished in 1:45:54
    July 28, 2018 Battle at Bristol 10K (Naples, NY) survived in 1:28:33
    August 1, 2018 IEXC 5K #1 (Rochester, NY) finished in 22:17
    August 8, 2018 IEXC 5K #2 (Rochester, NY) finished in 22:10
    August 15, 2018 Pound the Ground 10K (Mendon, NY) finished in 43:11
    August 22, 2018 IEXC 5K #3 (Rochester, NY) finished in 21:59
    August 29, 2018 IEXC 5K #4 (Rochester NY) finished in 22:00
    August 29, 2018 IEXC TDP 1 mile (Rochester, NY) finished in 6:07
    August 29, 2018 IEXC TDP 400m (Rochester, NY) finished in 1:14
    September 2, 2018 Oak Tree Half Marathon (Geneseo, NY) finished in 1:36:41
    September 9, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #1 5K (Newark, NY)
    September 23, 2018 USATF Masters XC 5K (Buffalo, NY)
    September 30, 2018 Wineglass Marathon (Bath, NY to Corning, NY)
    October 7, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #2 6K (Akron Falls, NY, probable DNS)
    October 21, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #3 6K (Mendon, NY)
    November 4, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #4 6K (Trumansburg, NY)
    November 11, 2018 Syracuse Half Marathon (Syracuse, NY)
    November 18, 2018 Pete Glavin XC #5 6K (Syracuse, NY)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent When I was really little I called our pastor "pasture". HAH That's what happens when you're raised in Wisconsin I guess. ;)

:D

What throws me for a loop is when the older generations call me "Reverand" - that is just way too formal sounding for me. "Reverand Vinny" - It just doesn't work! :lol:
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    9/1 - 9.84 km
    9/2 - rest
    9/3 - rest
    9/4 - 6.13 km
    9/5 - 6.02 km intervals
    9/6 - 5.31 km

27.30/110 km

Today was supposed to be easy 5-7km and it felt easy while I was running but my pace was a bit better than it has been lately. And I didn't wear a hat or a buff and I was so sweaty at the end of it I had to towel off before my shower...

Ankle felt a bit touchy last night at bedtime and still has a bit of a niggle although it feels better now than it did at the start of my run. Not that it exactly feels bad, just... niggly. Tomorrow is rest day so hopefully that will be the end of any nonsense there.

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish 2:03:15
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K 2:03:04
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race 1:30:16
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon) 3:12:something
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 4Kish 39:49
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 15Kish
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle

2019:
    5/5/19 BMO Vancouver Marathon (Half)
    8/17/19 Edmonton Marathon
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Today was very interesting. I'm a visual person.
    I went with good intentions to walk. My headphones Bluetooth would not pair up with my new phone. It picked up the Audi tha drove by, the Mac in a van that went by. Me nothing. After 40 min ready to just walk with no music finally paired. But.....

I ve always enjoyed walking checking nature and more do today cooler weather high 24. There were tons of guys doing landscaping some with and without t shirt. Have to say I've noted the day if the week and time to be in that area for my walks.
    Wonderful view :-)

But I'm not logging the two walks I did outside today Since the purpose of the challenge was jogging on the treadmill. I will tomorrow I've been in lots of pain lately and been quiet but now I pull post it as a question to the group I'll separate.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent whats your name so I can read some of your stuff - if your willing to divulge. I love scifi and fantasy!