September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent thanks!
    I had no idea. I only knew of walking, jogging, intervals and running.
    I guess I'm combination at the same time slow and steady but intervals 10 jog,1 min walk till I'm done.
    After high school never ran to compete just to enjoy and finish the cardio.
    But Wow!
    I was having a hard time figuring out the conversations. But I thought different names for things since we live in different areas. Would have never thought there were all these to be done.

It all stems from different goals. If your goal is to win races, then you will do the speed workouts (intervals, fartlek, tempo, etc). If you never want to run more than a 5k, you probably will never do the "long runs" that the marathon runners do. And so on.

Also, people move around. So they might be training for an ultra marathon in the fall, but then take it easy for the winter and then focus on a half marathon in the spring. Or whatever.

So, like I said, this "simple" sport has lots of options. Feel free to ask questions about the different things, there are some very smart and nice people in this thread that will be happy to help you out. :)

Or you could be like me... I've nearly completely given up on being fast. I'll probably never qualify for Boston. But I am building distance and I know I can slowly go a lot of miles. I'm hoping to [slowly] move towards ultras next year or maybe 2020. Technically my first ultra is Nov., but it is the world's shortest ultra (the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa with the Center of the Universe Detour makes it 26.5 miles).

Very nice!
    I think I may be more like you slow building distance while doing 10/1s Till I’m done. Think if finding a nice race next-year not to hilly or complicated go just do it and say ok I did it!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    I love spring weather (not). Rain has set in this evening and looks to continue tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to finally having a run in the rain after all my complaining and anticipation. I can see it now, I manage to avoid rain the whole next 10 weeks and it pours down on event day...
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I love spring weather (not). Rain has set in this evening and looks to continue tomorrow. I'm actually looking forward to finally having a run in the rain after all my complaining and anticipation. I can see it now, I manage to avoid rain the whole next 10 weeks and it pours down on event day...

Ha. Or it will be like the first time I ran Kerikeri - Grey, threatening, and unbelievably hot and humid. Nobody PB'd (which is almost guaranteed on this event) and I've never seen so many people lying on the side of the road getting medical attention - even more alarming considering how small the field is. The conditions caught everyone unawares.

I'm sure you'll get your chance to run in the rain... it is named Aotearoa after all ('Land of the Long White Cloud' for you non-Kiwis).
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    It was a humid suckfest of environment, but with an average pace of 8:34 per mile I didn't particularly feel it in the heart rate.

A slow run on mostly soft trails is exactly what I needed today after running a half on Sunday and doing some watered down speed work in the humidity yesterday.

8:34 is a "slow run?" I'd be so estatic if I even got close to that! Humidity is the worst to run in. Glad you made yourself get out there and get it done!

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Monthly group question?

What did you wanna be when you grew up?

And do you have a group question?

Earliest wanna be was an archeologist. Someone probably made a comment about me digging all the time as a kid. And i was in.
    Then about 10, i wanted to be a concert violinist. (Not in the cards...)
    Then 14-15 i wanted to be a neurosurgeon.... (Too much Ben Casey).

By time i managed to get to college, age 27 and three kids, unsupportive spouse, I realized med school wasn't an option so i went the chemistry route, just in case that option ever became viable. Or even a geology one.

I do remember watching the Hawaii Ironman in '84 (I'd been 14) and thinking thatd be awesome to do, had no idea it could be a professional choice. Which wasnt in the cards either.. so. Meh.

If i could do it all over again? Different parents where i got to keep the violin and other stuff. Haha! Nah, I'd done better and found a way to do med school. Maybe even have done military service to get there. But, hey.. kitten happens and here we are. No regrets right.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @sarahthes - I just have to say that I LOVE your attitude. I could not have said this better myself - "Or like me where I know I'll never be competitively fast, but need to improve my speed enough (while building mileage as well) so that I can do the races I want without brushing up against cutoffs.I've literally got a coach who is working to get me capable of running a marathon with a 2:55 halfway cutoff and a 7:00 total time cutoff in the next 11 months."

I did a half last March with a 3 hr cut-off and I had to really train hard to make that happen. I ran it in 3:10 and somehow beat the sweep vehicle. And while it doesn't particularly bother me, it would be nice to get to the finish line party and still have some party left!

This is why I choose trail races with generous cut-offs.

HM - just over 3hrs. Marathon - 7 and a half. Cut-off was supposed to be 7hrs 45 minutes, but more like 8 hours or so when the sweeper came in