September 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    F I F T E E N pages. I turn my back for a second and here we are....

re: running whilst on holidays or travelling. I don't tend to, partly because many of my trips involve a lot of walking (work surveys of sculpture parks), or dancing (personal holidays at Swing dance events) so I need to keep my energy up. Or are dedicated walking weekends with a friend anyway. Later this month I am heading West, so if anyone has any ideas on trails near Steinbach/South-East Winnipeg that would be great (I'm visiting my sister who is a big outdoor hiking/canoeing/camping even when it's minus 35 degrees C fan).

@girlinahat Sounds like your sister has truly embraced Canada and it's wilderness.
    Don't really know the area as it is about a 17 hour drive from where I live.
    This Steinbach link shows a good looking paved trail through their park system.
    Strava Heat Maps show lots of activity . Being Manitoba prairie it is probably very flat. Hope you get a chance to travel a bit while across the pond . In Winnipeg it looks like there might be some nice trails along the Assiniboine River. Didn't find a FB Running group - might need more search time.

Where are you flying into ?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    thanks @juliet3455 . Flat it certainly is!!!! Originally I wanted to spend a bit of time in the Rockies, but my sister was there for day hikes in the summer, and I really wanted to camp and bowed out with the thought that I'd leave that trip for another year. Last time I came over it was Christmas, so it'll be a good 50 degrees C warmer this time round, with no frozen nostril hairs!!!

I'm flying in via Calgary and out via Toronto but with no layover. Last time I flew into Toronto, spent a few days there, then did the TransCanadian railway to Winnipeg. I remember an awful lot of trees over those three days......

she's actually in New Bothwell, with the Bothwell cheese factory at the end of the road, although the less said about North American cheese the better......
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    garygse wrote: »
    Oh what a fun run this morning...super humid (72F dew point), so my top was already completely wet within the first few miles. It was around mile six though that I felt my nipples starting to hurt, and suddenly realized I hadn't put any NipEaze on...oops. :open_mouth: Off comes the top to prevent any further chafing, and I then made my way back to the office gym to grab some Band Aids from the first aid cabinet.

No first aid cabinet...what the heck, they have them throughout the offices, but not in the gym where you would think people are more likely to actually need one? I did see a roll of masking tape on a shelf though. Top tip: masking tape has at least one more usage scenario than I would have previously considered. :smile:

After that, I went back out and met up with the group around mile nine, and ran the usual five-miler with them before heading back to the gym to shower and scream.

Tomorrow, I highly doubt I'll forget the NipEaze.

02 - 5.40
    03 - 18.09
    04 - 14.15

Total: 37.64 / 300 miles

I forgot it this morning also! I got other parts of my body done - but somehow spaced them. Thankfully it was a short enough run I was able to get away with it!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Avidkeo i have a spare garmin you can have. Its the 620. I have the charger, an hrm that should pair with it, but probably needs a battery and its not the fancy Run strap with all the wonderful metrics.

PM me your address if you want it at least until you find something, then you can donate it off. It did occasionally power cycle on me stopping a run, but never lost data.

That is awesome of you! International shipping might be killer so if you need help with that let me know, I would be happy to chip in.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    @girlinahat I'm a bit jealous you get to explore Winnipeg - I'm sure you will find some good trails! My dad was born and grew up there (it's where my grandparents landed when they emigrated from Germany) and has some wild tales of how much snow they get!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    @Avidkeo i have a spare garmin you can have. Its the 620. I have the charger, an hrm that should pair with it, but probably needs a battery and its not the fancy Run strap with all the wonderful metrics.

PM me your address if you want it at least until you find something, then you can donate it off. It did occasionally power cycle on me stopping a run, but never lost data.

That is awesome of you! International shipping might be killer so if you need help with that let me know, I would be happy to chip in.

Last time i sent something to Australia it was 42$. Be alright. Thanks though. Donate it to St Jude 😉
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member

Last time i sent something to Australia it was 42$. Be alright. Thanks though. Donate it to St Jude 😉

You both... Gosh amazing.
    Have emailed you @elise4270, hopefully that works haha
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    I was going to go for a walk it’s 42 with humidity. I’m tired from walking in and out of the car. Sitting at the car shop getting oil done and I’m ready to pass out and his Ac is on.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Fifteen pages! Seriously guys, I take a couple of days out and boom, there's no way I can catch up.

I ran an 8k race on Labor Day. It was 80 deg F when the race began at 9:00am, and it must have been close to 90 deg F by the time I finished. I was hoping to finish somewhere under 50 minutes, but the heat just sapped all my energy. I did the first three miles at a decent clip, but mile four killed me and my pace dropped to 11:47. I picked it up for mile five, but the damage was done and I finished in 52:38.

It was a great race though and finished on center ice in T D Garden.

3u9sfghpsl6z.jpg

Awesome finish line! When the Coyotes did their 5k it was in the middle of the season so it started/ended outside the arena. This would be so cool!

The Pat Tilman run ends at the 42 yard line of sundevil stadium. And it's an amazing, moving feeling.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    I just signed up for the 14k event and just noticed the walkers start first, 10 mins before the runners. Why do they do that? It doesn't make sense to me
    Now all the runners have to try pass the walkers. Any ideas?
  • sarahthes
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I just signed up for the 14k event and just noticed the walkers start first, 10 mins before the runners. Why do they do that? It doesn't make sense to me
    Now all the runners have to try pass the walkers. Any ideas?

That's weird. At events I've done they've given the walkers a 30-60 minute head start depending on distance. Which makes a lot more sense!
  • sarahthes
    Ohh but I didn't see that it's on trail. If it's single track further along they may not want the walkers clogging the trail by starting too early. But in that case they should either start them waaay early or or waaay late!

So weird.