September 2018 Running Challenge

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Ohh but I didn't see that it's on trail. If it's single track further along they may not want the walkers clogging the trail by starting too early. But in that case they should either start them waaay early or or waaay late!

So weird.

I know! all major events ive done (um, 2 lol) had the walkers AFTER the runners so they don't have the issue of passing. If they are doing it so everyone finishes closer to the same time, giving the walkers only a 10 minute head start doesn't make sense either, at least 30 mins would be better. It is a cycle track and an old railway line (that's been torn up) so its not totally narrow. Oh well, Ill enjoy it anyway.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Ohh but I didn't see that it's on trail. If it's single track further along they may not want the walkers clogging the trail by starting too early. But in that case they should either start them waaay early or or waaay late!

So weird.

That's a hard one. I've gone jogging in the past and people walking have past me walking. :-)
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    i would imagine it has something to do with the time they have route and aide stations open.
  • travelling_lots
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    i would imagine it has something to do with the time they have route and aide stations open.

Ah, that would make sense.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Didn't get home from work until 7:10, was tired, and hadn't eaten since 11:30. I almost talked myself out of my workout, the keyword being ALMOST. I went down and did the treadmill for 15 minutes of running with walking warm up and cool down. I know it's not much to most of you, and I could probably do more, but I am following the training plan and don't want to injure myself. I'm just happy that I didn't use the very good excuses I had to not do anything today.

exercise.png

well done you!!
  • travelling_lots
    @PastorVincent thanks!
    I had no idea. I only knew of walking, jogging, intervals and running.
    I guess I'm combination at the same time slow and steady but intervals 10 jog,1 min walk till I'm done.
    After high school never ran to compete just to enjoy and finish the cardio.
    But Wow!
    I was having a hard time figuring out the conversations. But I thought different names for things since we live in different areas. Would have never thought there were all these to be done.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2018
    I found out this afternoon that our trip this weekend has to be postponed because the grandpa-in-law is in the hospital (he'll be okay and is still terrible). So that means that my amazing two-laps-around-the-shopping-mall 10K consolation prize is out. And here I was kind of looking forward to it. But because I live in a major metro area, there are plenty alternatives this weekend and I need help picking!

First: The Marathons of Hope 5/10K. Positives: Same distance I'd planned for this week. Supports a good cause. Reasonably inexpensive. Negatives: Can't tell if it's timed or has happened before, will include bikes and dogs and probably small children, maybe not as well supported as it could be? Also 5/10K is not a marathon. Or multiple marathons.

Second: City of Lakes Half Marathon. Positives: Big deal real deal has been happening for decades well organized. According to the results of "can I run a half marathon" on google, I'll probably not die or injure myself if I'm not stupid (longest run is currently 9 miles) and should be okay for the 3:30 cut-off. Shiny medal! Negatives: Twice as expensive, more than twice as far as I'd planned on running this weekend.

Course doesn't matter as they are both running around the same trail system (which I have run around several times). The half just runs a figure-8 around Lake 1 and Lake 2 twice, while I assume the 10K is twice-ish around Lake 1, but I can only assume because the course isn't online. Lake 2 might also be involved, who knows. Either way, I've run the entire course at least twice and Lake 1 several times.