Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Group question...

When I was quite young I wanted to be a writer but that got sidetracked when I got a bit older and my grandmother died of cancer - then I wanted to be a doctor. That stuck with me for several years until I finished my second year of university. At which point I realized I really enjoyed my undergraduate program (chemistry) and stuck with it.

If I could do things over I would be a vulcanologist. .

Ooohhh nice one! Lets go to Pompeii. We can dig and study together. @girlinahat can film it 😉
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    @PastorVincent thanks!
    I had no idea. I only knew of walking, jogging, intervals and running.
    I guess I'm combination at the same time slow and steady but intervals 10 jog,1 min walk till I'm done.
    After high school never ran to compete just to enjoy and finish the cardio.
    But Wow!
    I was having a hard time figuring out the conversations. But I thought different names for things since we live in different areas. Would have never thought there were all these to be done.

It all stems from different goals. If your goal is to win races, then you will do the speed workouts (intervals, fartlek, tempo, etc). If you never want to run more than a 5k, you probably will never do the "long runs" that the marathon runners do. And so on.

Also, people move around. So they might be training for an ultra marathon in the fall, but then take it easy for the winter and then focus on a half marathon in the spring. Or whatever.

So, like I said, this "simple" sport has lots of options. Feel free to ask questions about the different things, there are some very smart and nice people in this thread that will be happy to help you out. :)

Or you could be like me... I've nearly completely given up on being fast. I'll probably never qualify for Boston. But I am building distance and I know I can slowly go a lot of miles. I'm hoping to [slowly] move towards ultras next year or maybe 2020. Technically my first ultra is Nov., but it is the world's shortest ultra (the Route 66 Marathon in Tulsa with the Center of the Universe Detour makes it 26.5 miles).

Or like me where I know I'll never be competitively fast, but need to improve my speed enough (while building mileage as well) so that I can do the races I want without brushing up against cutoffs.

I've literally got a coach who is working to get me capable of running a marathon with a 2:55 halfway cutoff and a 7:00 total time cutoff in the next 11 months.

@sarahthes I’m more like you this way. I know I’ll know I’ll never be competitively fast for two reason my body can’t anymore also because now I’m in only for the enjoyment and the finish not injured.

I still hold my track days very dear and still can visualize all the ribbons and cups for speed. But that was the only enjoyment. A lot of hard work and sacrifices ate through my youth and in high school I promised myself if I’m not having fun while I enjoy life I’m just not doing it. Cheerleading was competitive and fun, sacrifice wasn’t felt. So it was a different story.

University introduced me to long distance intervals and got hooked.

Now if I can jog outside one day at what ever speed checking out nature will be my success and ultimate goal.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    missevil wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm also in again. Currently, I'm not overly happy with my progress, due to several factors. First of all, the instant gratification of the first few weeks is gone and I found "my" pace and comfort zone (well, "comfort" is a strong word here, since I'm still not very fond of running in general but despite that very insignificant fact, this is where I run most of the time. Following my last post in August, I tried to slow down and finally managed to find a tempo with a lower heart rate. Thank you @MobyCarp, @shanaber, and @garygse for your input in the last thread. I still have so much to learn and test.

Today, I read, that the "normal" training pace should be at least 90 seconds slower than the race tempo per Km. It that something you agree on? If I look at my stats at RunKeeper, my fastest Km is 6:55 (very rare! usually, fast is somewhere around 7:20) and my pace overall is more around 7:45per Km, if I don't break for walks. Their solution is that the training must be slowed down even more. When I tried to slow down for the heart rate thingie, I was talking last time, I had a pace of 8:05, which is still only like 45s slower than the fast or 70s for the super fast time.
    You read so much on the internet and never know whether it's correct or complete BS. So I try to just finish somehow without overdoing it.

Tomorrow will be my last training before the 5K and I'm both excited and wearily. I'm going to make it and let's see how much the changed situation with a new route, some food (I usually go in the mornings w/o any food intake), an unfamiliar time and lots of people will change my performance. But I'm at the lowest point energy-wise in my cycle and really struggle with 5k. We'll see. I'll let you know on Sunday ;)

Ok, on to my goals this month. I'd love to set it higher but don't see that I'm going to make it. It's a lot of "I should" and "it would be good" but reality still looks not that promising.

Goal September: 50-60Km / Achieved so far: 14,6Km
    1. 5 Km (lots of walking though)
    2. 5,4 Km
    4. 4,2 Km

I'm a big fan of https://www.mcmillanrunning.com/ and their Running Calculator for determining various training pace ranges. Very simple to use. You enter in your goal time for an upcoming race, current fitness time/distance and then hit calculate. It provides a series of pace estimates for races and their is another link that provides training paces for runs based on easy, long, interval, tempo, etc so you can go more by pace (you can ignore HR info provided and just go by feel). As your running/fitness improves (or in my case since I have had an injury I have a fitness decline), you update the data to start making the next round of improvements.
  • kevaasen
    kevaasen Posts: 173 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    MobyCarp wrote: »
    missevil wrote: »

Today, I read, that the "normal" training pace should be at least 90 seconds slower than the race tempo per Km. It that something you agree on? If I look at my stats at RunKeeper, my fastest Km is 6:55 (very rare! usually, fast is somewhere around 7:20) and my pace overall is more around 7:45per Km, if I don't break for walks. Their solution is that the training must be slowed down even more. When I tried to slow down for the heart rate thingie, I was talking last time, I had a pace of 8:05, which is still only like 45s slower than the fast or 70s for the super fast time.
    You read so much on the internet and never know whether it's correct or complete BS. So I try to just finish somehow without overdoing it.

If the web site just says "race tempo," it's glossing over things. Shorter races have faster paces. There are online calculators to give you training paces extrapolated from good race results; even these are more of a starting point to work from as you learn how your own body works. And there have been issues raised with the accuracy of the equivalents for distances greater than a half marathon.

If I put in 6:55 per kilometer as your pace for 1500m, it spits out an easy training range of 9:01 to 9:31 per km, and a marathon pace of 8:11 per kilometer. A couple of things could be going on here.

First, your fastest pace may not actually be your optimized race pace. You may not have trained for racing or worked on race management well enough to produce a true race pace.

Second, there are variations between people. If I put in my PR mile race pace, it spits out an easy training range for me of 8:08 to 8:39 per mile, or 5:30 to 5:23 per km. I know my easy pace tends to be a little faster than that, more like 7:45 to 8:15 per mile. But I wouldn't know this without having done a lot of training at various paces.

Third, the calculations are based on well-trained runners. If you aren't in peak form, it's possible that your conditioning could catch up to where what you're running as an easy pace becomes your true easy, and your other paces get correspondingly faster.

Long story short, the concept of slowing way down for easy runs is good. Finding the actual pace you should slow down to is more of an art than a science.

well said and I also like this calculator as well
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I kept changing my mind about what I wanted to be. Many of the career ideas I went through would not have been at the time, or are still not possible because I take insulin. Examples range from truck driver to IRS special agent.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,981 Member
    Options
    As far as the monthly question goes. I never really knew what I wanted to be when I grew up. At 50 I still don't. I did always want to be a mom so I guess there is that. And I work as an office manager and for the most part I enjoy the bookkeeping aspects of my job.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No run for me today, just a nice slow walk on the treadmill which will not get logged as it was just to warm muscles up for stretching. Foam rolled for about 15 minutes(quads, ITB, and hamstrings). Took some wonderdrug(read ibuprofen) last night and will take some more again tonight. Swelling is down and pain receding, which is good news for PT session tomorrow.

@MegaMooseEsq Run the half! Better organization, trails you are familiar with, and like @PastorVincent said even if you miss the cutoff you will have a time to shoot for next year. Go for the gusto, you can do it!

@RunsOnEspresso YAY on getting back out there!
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Monthly group question?

What did you wanna be when you grew up?
    I wanted to be an astronaut since 1st grade, my math and science grades were great, my eyesight not so much(it disqualified me from being a military pilot). Then when I was 13 my grandfather has some major health issues and I flew out to help my grandmother take care of him. Starting becoming interested in medicine, but I knew at that point that I didn't want to spend as long in school as it takes to become a doctor. Worked with Sports Medicine program throughout high school and was a lifeguard during the summer. College was initially a bust for me, despite having a full ride scholarship for nursing to a fairly nice private school through the ROTC program, 17 years old and first time away from family support network and I crashed. Joined the service as a Fleet Marine Force Corpsman, served my time and got out. Worked as a nursing assistant and ER tech while going to school, at the urging of my wife. Have been a Licensed Practical Nurse for 11 years and in about another 5 will be heading back to get my RN license. The 5 year wait is for me to save enough money to get through school without any student loans.
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    And do you have a group question?
    Not really, most of the questions I would ask are already answered as people when other people ask them throughout the thread.

• AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    September goal: 100 miles
    9/1: rest
    9/2: 6 miles of random hotel parking lots
    9/3: rest
    9/4: 7 miles
    9/5: 3.5 miles
    9/6: 5 miles
    21.5 of 100 done

UPCOMING RACES