9/9: 20.04mi
    9/12: 3mi
    9/15: 5mi
    9/16: 10mi
    9/18: 3mi
    9/20: 3mi

Total: 63.42

9/30 Wineglass Marathon

Fortunately, my neighborhood is quite safe. I don’t run a lot in the dark, but if I do, I carry a headlamp, wear glowing arm bands, and carry a whistle. I won’t listen to music while it is dark so that I don’t miss something potentially dangerous that I can’t see.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    A few years ago, I carried “bear spray” on my waist and attempted to use it during a dog attack. I ended up spraying myself (thigh), so I gave up on it. I didn’t know you couldn’t carry it in the open. Thanks for that info.

The same company @kgirlinhart linked to also sold a small alarm, which may be the best solution. That would likely scare an animal if it is loud enough. And hopefully attract human attention if in other trouble.

@travelling_lots I am in Maple Ridge. We have the mountains just to our north and a lot of agricultural land with berry farms. We get our fair share of wild creatures and a lot of loose dogs.

@RunRachelleRun maple ridge is a beautiful area. And still pretty safe. Mind you wild life would be an issue with open agricultural land.
    With the expansion of different trains and transit system they’re should be a big change in that too in the next 2-5 years and hopefully better patrolled too. I was actually looking in that area to buy a house.

@ContraryMaryMary my area has tones of those people walking dogs on retractable leads. Some are big dogs and I’ve seen how they don’t care how people are intimidated but these big dogs running around with leads 12 feet long and if something happens the owners won’t be able to handle the big dog in time.
    I constantly cross the street because I don’t know which jack *kitten* knows how to walk the dog properly and can actually control them.
  • travelling_lots
    travelling_lots Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @travelling_lots I didn't take any offense. You just said that pepper spray was illegal and I was just saying it isn't illegal in the US. I didn't realize that it was illegal in Canada. I kind of thought that everyone there carried bear spray. Lol. I was just answering a question about what do you do to feel safe when running. I don't feel unsafe running, but I do sometimes see loose dogs and that is my biggest fear when running and why I carry pepper spray.

@kgirlhart I’m glad you didn’t take offence. Was never intended to offend.

Here the laws of pepper spray is one but even more strict on bear spray. They fall under two different categories due to the damage of the attack it potentially can do. Bear spray your aloud to carry only in the woods aimed st bears only. I’m not completely familiar with the rule to explain it unfortunately.
    Pepper spray is for fox, coyote, wild dog but used as last resort. Like everything in Canada our laws are tougher with hopes people think twice if they are going to use them and hurt others or themselves.
    @ContraryMaryMary that’s my issues with runs/walks are skunks and foxes, coyote but lots of dogs not friendly on long retractable leads with little or no control of their owners. I keep crossing over to the other street not sure what else to do on that one.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    dogs in harnesses on retractable leads. Another pet hate. I was told to 'watch where I was going' by a woman on a busy train platform with a dog on a piano wire thickness retractable lead far away from her. Unfortunately I didn't have time to stop and tell her what I thought.

Dogs on body harnesses get me. Big dogs. Muscly dogs. Unless it's a chest clip harness or halti-style, you aren't going to be able to control that dog if it makes a run for a rabbit.

We have limited dogs on leads laws here, only in some public parks and beaches during the summer, so for the most part the dog can run free, which is better than a retractable lead, because that's what training a dog is for. I WANT dogs to have off-lead time, it's good for their mental health, but please train them!!!
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    As planned, no running today, upper body circuit. Had a visitor about mid-workout, he's my PT's son.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited September 2018
    Options
    1) i don't run with dogs because i'm afraid, i run with them because i am aware of where i live. same if i ran with a ccw. i don't want to but i will not be a victim. there are more assaults than sexual and even then we have had more than a few stranger/victim sexual assaults this summer. it is also why i run with the bare minimum. bags, id, phone. phone is tucked away. it is part of the reason i don't run with headphones.
    2) my dogs run on a harness. it can cause damage to a dogs neck to run on a collar. canicross often has their dogs run in full sled harness as that is where the sport originated.
    the one i use slides and tightens and i've never had an issue controlling any of the dogs. from a 10lb-90lb dog
    here is a view of the harnesses i use
    these work well in comparison to the step into harnesses especially with the foster dogs. these start over the head and then "paw""other paw"
    0yrxsp4z0lri.png
    b30hxtf21oex.png
    3) retractable leashes are stupid and are injuries waiting to happen
    4) fell asleep, no run last night. will try to get one in this evening. 5 tonight, 5 tomorrow, 10 sunday. 10 sounds so much more reasonable after last weeks 14ish. but maybe not after 5&5
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    As planned, no running today, upper body circuit. Had a visitor about mid-workout, he's my PT's son.

aww so adorable
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 oh yes - canicross harnesses are a different ballgame and as you suggest are similar to sled harnesses. They usually had stretchy bits too if I'm not mistaken? (and are easy to release from a waist strap).

Having said that, anyone who runs with their dog on a harness knows what they are doing and what the dog is capable of. It's the people with large muscular (or just plain fat - that's my other dog-related hate, fat dogs) dogs unable to control them that I reserve bile for.