September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    AlphaHowls wrote: »
    Considering she lives in Hawaii, a better number is she only needs 600 more miles to run from Hawaii to the coast of California. :D Easily doable for her I think. :)

Never been to Hawaii, never been out west. I have been as far as Kansas, oh and South Dakota. I live in Tennessee, wow, 18 years now. Longest I have ever been anywhere.

What the heck? I was SURE you lived in Hawaii. Dang it! There goes my stalking card... :lol:

I lived just outside Nashville in Donelson for 7 years. Loved it there.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    So I'm sensing a comeback soon... here's my question.
    I've lost a month of training due to injury. My previous average (when not tapering or recovering from marathons) has been consistently about 30km/week for about a year. How far back do I need to start over?

As @MobyCarp said, it is very individual. I would suggest you start way slow, and way short and see how that goes. Build back slower than you think you need to. Reinjuring the same part could set you up for a life of chronic injury.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    I did a drive of the half marathon route again, and actually took note of distances. It starts mostly flat for 7km, and is pretty much down hill from there (yay!). but in those first 7km are 2x1.5km stretches of gradual inclines that end in slightly steeper inclines. Just like the 2k stretch I would do here at work. So I'm thinking that at least once a week, either Monday or Friday, I will do a lunchtime run, doing that stretch. At the moment, I find that a challenge, gradually increasing for 2k, and I often struggle at the end.

Those first 7km at Kerikeri are quite challenging, especially if you’re excited and go out fast. In fact, the real challenge is not to go too fast too soon on those hills and then wreck yourself for the rest of the race. You want to be able to make the most if that massive downhill and still have enough in the tank for the final couple of kilometres, which are flat and feel really hard!! I’m a bit disappointed I opted for Waihi instead - Kerikeri is an awesome course.

Thank you for that, yeah it looks deceptive. I'm really glad I went and drove it, and realised those first 7ks are actually going to be more challenging than I thought. I also have a 0.5k gradual to steep incline up the road from me, so I'm going to do that a couple of times in a row for a long run next weekend. Waihi looks awesome though!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job @MobyCarp. Congrats to you and your team.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    congratulations @MobyCarp and I agree with others, you totally deserved it
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent nice race and congrats to the wife on her time

@MobyCarp Congratulations!

@AlphaHowls Simply inspiring.

@Avidkeo for head phones i use these- https://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Bluetooth-Headphones-Waterproof-Cancelling/dp/B0753GRNQZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1537749120&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=mpow+bluetooth+headphones&dpPl=1&dpID=41JM2nFt2VL&ref=plSrch

Rest day today, family friends over and grilling out as well as meal prep for the week.
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @Elise4270 I checked out RunCoach that was linked through a Strava email. It is free and looks as good as the plan my husband paid money for monthly for with Runner’s Connect. Maybe your husband would benefit. It is supposed to read your Garmin or Strava data and adjust the plan based on algorithms. Seems worth a try! You have to pay if you want one on one coaching though. P.S. I noticed the web version worked a little better than the app.

Niceness. We're back on speaking terms, I'll tell him. 😂

ETA it's not free. It was 129/ year. Haha! That's okay. He has a training plan he bought, the BIG BOOK OF MARATHON TRAINING

Oh weird. I got a free plan linked to my Garmin info and didn’t have to pay anything. It told me the 129 was for gold, if I wanted to communicate privately with a coach. Maybe they changed it after I visited.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    I did have some trouble finding a comfortable place to buckle the Nathan - it bounced when I wore it around my hips but bit into my stomach a little when I wore it higher. I ended up shoving the band under my belly a few times but it didn’t love staying there and then my shirt rode up a bit. I have a moderately large belly but also a fairly distinct natural waist and hourglass figure, so I wonder if this kind of struggle is just to be expected in one-size-fits-all gear and might get easier if/when I lose more weight. (Assuming it comes from my belly and not my feet. I’ve lost half a shoe size over the last year and will probably never stop being a little grumpy about it.)

So I have run with the older version of that pack for many thousand miles now. Granted as a guy my shape is more popsicle stick than hourglass, but I find it sits best on my side. My waist shrinks as I run due to how much water I lose (how every much you think is impossible, I lose more! LOL) which means while I run the pack becomes looser and loser. My hipbones, however, do not shrink (that would be really bad!), so the when all things are adjusted right, it stays put better there.

Just something for you to try. :)
  • RunRachelleRun
    Options
    Congratulations @MobyCarp !
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @Elise4270 I checked out RunCoach that was linked through a Strava email. It is free and looks as good as the plan my husband paid money for monthly for with Runner’s Connect. Maybe your husband would benefit. It is supposed to read your Garmin or Strava data and adjust the plan based on algorithms. Seems worth a try! You have to pay if you want one on one coaching though. P.S. I noticed the web version worked a little better than the app.

ETA it's not free. It was 129/ year. Haha! That's okay. He has a training plan he bought, the BIG BOOK OF MARATHON TRAINING

Oh weird. I got a free plan linked to my Garmin info and didn’t have to pay anything. It told me the 129 was for gold, if I wanted to communicate privately with a coach. Maybe they changed it after I visited.

It was free until October 7th, so I guess I could have a free trial.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I did have some trouble finding a comfortable place to buckle the Nathan - it bounced when I wore it around my hips but bit into my stomach a little when I wore it higher. I ended up shoving the band under my belly a few times but it didn’t love staying there and then my shirt rode up a bit. I have a moderately large belly but also a fairly distinct natural waist and hourglass figure, so I wonder if this kind of struggle is just to be expected in one-size-fits-all gear and might get easier if/when I lose more weight. (Assuming it comes from my belly and not my feet. I’ve lost half a shoe size over the last year and will probably never stop being a little grumpy about it.)

So I have run with the older version of that pack for many thousand miles now. Granted as a guy my shape is more popsicle stick than hourglass, but I find it sits best on my side. My waist shrinks as I run due to how much water I lose (how every much you think is impossible, I lose more! LOL) which means while I run the pack becomes looser and loser. My hipbones, however, do not shrink (that would be really bad!), so the when all things are adjusted right, it stays put better there.

Just something for you to try. :)

Huh, I wouldn't have thought of that - I'll give it a try!
  • PastorVincent
    Options

$129/ year? That is a killer price. Most coaches I looked at were more like that per MONTH. I assume this is probably less service somehow, but at 1/12th the price it is definitely worth checking into deeper if you are looking.
  • RunRachelleRun
    edited September 2018
    Options

It was free until October 7th, so I guess I could have a free trial.

That is so funny. They must have had such a large response after the email that they changed it. When I signed up on Friday, I didn’t have a trial or anything. Didn’t have to enter any credit card info. Nothing. No mention of it. They had a chart with the differences between the free plan and the gold plans. Well, sorry about that. It did seem too good....
  • RunRachelleRun
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Yep, I tried to sign my husband up, and it was a free trial now. I cancelled the gold trial right away, but it removed all future workouts hey had scheduled. So, it didn’t work, even though they still listed a free plan as I was cancelling. We’ll see if mine continues to work. Disappointing :(

ETA: The free plan was there for my husband after cancelling the gold right away. I had to go to schedule, and the workout is listed on the day, not in the blank space. You have to click on the date to see it. Not sure how good it is, but it did provide a free plan. Garmin free plans may be better.