September 2018 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    To all those with the wireless ear-buds: I have a pair that I've been using for a while now that I got for $5 from 5 Below. I understand that yes, you get what you pay for, but quite honestly, the only issues I've had so far is 1: not water proof, 2: only 2 hours on a charge and 3: I have my phone in a waist pouch, and on occasion, they will do the cutting in & out if the phone is too far away (if It is on the other side of the body, for example). I usually have only 1 bud in (my right ear) and the phone on my right hip.

Do the newer buds - like the AfterShokz or MPow Flames for example - have issues like that or is it just cause I'm cheap that that is a problem?
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    To all those with the wireless ear-buds: I have a pair that I've been using for a while now that I got for $5 from 5 Below. I understand that yes, you get what you pay for, but quite honestly, the only issues I've had so far is 1: not water proof, 2: only 2 hours on a charge and 3: I have my phone in a waist pouch, and on occasion, they will do the cutting in & out if the phone is too far away (if It is on the other side of the body, for example). I usually have only 1 bud in (my right ear) and the phone on my right hip.

Do the newer buds - like the AfterShokz or MPow Flames for example - have issues like that or is it just cause I'm cheap that that is a problem?

I have the aftershokz trek minis and haven't noticed any of those issues. I sweat a lot and just wipe them off when I get home. I usually have my podcasts downloaded but when I do my audiobooks its streaming and never had an issue with connection. Streaming music isn't bad either. I've noticed a couple hiccups when buffering but Amazon does that on my phone when I'm not using headphones too.

I did once run out of battery on my long run but I didn't know how to check the battery level. 😂
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    @dreamer12151 I had issues with every pair I had. They sounded horrible, they cut out, my sweat killed them. Any or all of the above. I now have the bose soundsport wireless. Waterproof or at least they haven't died yet. They have lasted longer than other I had. By the time I kept replacing them all, I could have had a couple of these. I asked for them as a gift, though because they are expensive.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

My headphones are actually waterproof, as in submersible. Most are "sweatproof" - which means "you can lightly splash them and be okay" - those always fail for me. Jaybird, Jlabs, etc. None hold up for long.

But, yes, every problem you mentioned I have had with lots of different BT headsets of various price points. There are very very few good ones. The Plantronics Backbeat that I and a couple others here use and are good. There are two or three other brands that get mentioned in this thread regularly but I doubt any of them cost $5 :)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options

On a full charge my flames get about 10-12 hours of play time. They will occasionally have connection issues, but that is typically more my phone needing to update something and being temperamental.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

On a full charge my flames get about 10-12 hours of play time. They will occasionally have connection issues, but that is typically more my phone needing to update something and being temperamental.

Yeah, it would be fair to note that Bluetooth is a form of radio and all radio can occasionally have hiccups for an uncountable number of reasons. Once or twice a week I might have a connection problem when running under the high tension power lines for example. But it should be a minor issue if at all.
  • Mari33a
    Mari33a Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    04/09 3.15 miles
    05/09 3.18 miles
    06/09 3.20 miles
    07/09 3.17 miles
    11/09 3.16 miles
    12/09 3.19 miles
    13/09 3.17 miles
    20/09 3.17 miles
    24/09 3.63 miles - was a good run, lovely mild evening