October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,014 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    I used yaktraks the last couple years after a particularly nasty fall. My immediate neighborhood has lots of trees and shade = lots of ice that lasts longer than other neighborhoods around me. The yaktraks were great for the first quarter mile or so that was covered in snow/ice. After that, I often ended up on bare roads for which they are not designed and wore them out (rubber snapped and the wire unraveled).

I've heard of "screw shoes" but didn't realize what that really meant. Thanks for the link! I might just try that with my old shoes this winter.

I gotta remember that even though I'm reading all about you super fast runners and your races, I'm not competing against any of you. I'm only competing against myself.

For me, screw shoes don't feel good on clear pavement (and so, like a crazy person, I avoid clear spots when wearing them). Last winter, I picked up a good deal on some spikes that go over your shoes-the idea is you could take them off and carry them if needed. I got them late in the season and haven't tried them.

You'll find that there are are people of ALL speeds here :) Welcome to the group!
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    @PastorVincent so what would you think about running two 50 mile trail races, just 2 weeks apart? Asking for a friend...
    If so @PastorVincent I was looking at one in June, south of you in PA, about a month after your marathon. If I remember correctly, 50k was the short option. But for the record, I didn't look too hard, as I'm still coming back from injury. Plus they didn't have a 2019 date set yet.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent so what would you think about running two 50 mile trail races, just 2 weeks apart? Asking for a friend...

@PastorVincent would definitely do it but highly advise against it. ;)
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @mbaker566 Glad you're okay even if the car has issues.

@PastorVincent very nice mug!

@7lenny7 Great race report and nice pics.

Lifting/rest day today. Upper body and core. Trying a new schedule: Mon-Lift, Tues-Speedwork/just get out and fly, Wed-Lift, Thur-Tempo/pace, Fri-rest(yes I will make myself do nothing), Sat-long run, Sun-recovery run. Was looking at total miles for the month and realized that if I do nothing from now except my HM and recovery run I will hit goal. Don't know how the heck that happened but B).

ETA:exercise.png
  • polskagirl01
    Options
    If so @PastorVincent I was looking at one in June, south of you in PA, about a month after your marathon. If I remember correctly, 50k was the short option. But for the record, I didn't look too hard, as I'm still coming back from injury. Plus they didn't have a 2019 date set yet.

I am actually running the Pittsburgh Marathon, then a 50k trail race that is only 6 days later (the following Saturday). I plan to run both hard. I hope to knock an hour off my 50k time, and while I doubt I will PR two years in a row at Pittsburg, I am shooting to get close.

Also, DO NOT DO AS I DO UNLESS YOUR CRAZY IN THE HEAD. That is my disclaimer :)

So what you're saying is, you'd definitely do marathon + 50k in May, then another trail 50k in June? Haha ;)

I am not THAT crazy, but am considering turning my mid-May marathon into a training run for the 50k four weeks later. You know, just to try an "ultra". But then I think about how my last marathon went, and think maybe I should get better at that before bumping up. Or at least see how training & marathon go before deciding. That's a long way to run.

10/1-7 Totals: bike 20.4 km, run 15 km
    10/8-14 Totals: bike 10.3 km, run 24.9 km

10/15 - bike 19.5k, run 6k
    10/16 -
    10/17 -
    10/18 -
    10/19 -
    10/20 -
    10/21 -

Felt good after my morning run, so did some cycling later in the day. Also had a fun trail bike ride on a secret mission with my son.

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    October 20: City Trail 5k
    November 11: City Trail 5k
    December 8: City Trail 5k
    January 12: City Trail 5k
    February 2-3: Lublin night 10k
    February 16: City Trail 5k
    March 23: City Trail 5k
    April 7: Lublin 10k (maybe)
    May 12: Lublin Marathon
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    This morning I signed up for my first destination race. The Tillamook Burn 50 Mile in the Pacific NW rainforest about an hour northwest of Portland, OR. You can scroll through some amazing photos here.

I was trying to decide between the 50K and the 50M. The 50K has 7000' of vertical (ascent & descent) whereas the 50M has 8700', the difference being 1700' over 19 miles, which is fairly flat, so for the extra runable miles, why not! I am so dang excited about this! My sister and her husband live just outside of Portland so we'll stay with them and maybe I'll even talk them into crewing for me.

The race is the end of April which, incidentally, is just 2 weeks after the Zumbro 50, the race I DNF'd earlier this year.

@7lenny7 I remember you posted about that race before and I was super interested. But then I went and signed up for a different destination (road) half marathon for the following weekend.

Plus it looks like they're not offering the 25K this year.

Darn it. Maybe 2020... I should have a road full marathon under my belt by then anyway, maybe by then I can do a 50K trail race LOL.
  • PastorVincent
    Options

I am actually running the Pittsburgh Marathon, then a 50k trail race that is only 6 days later (the following Saturday). I plan to run both hard. I hope to knock an hour off my 50k time, and while I doubt I will PR two years in a row at Pittsburg, I am shooting to get close.

So what you're saying is, you'd definitely do marathon + 50k in May, then another trail 50k in June? Haha ;)

Yes, I would in fact. Where is this June 50k? If it fits my schedule I might just sign up for it. :)
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    sarahthes wrote: »
    Y'all are a bunch of co-enablers LOL.

Hey! I resemble that statement!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I've only run one road marathon and three trail ultras, but in my limited experience, a 50K trail race is easier on your body than a road marathon.
    @sarahthes that's too bad, I would have loved to have met you out there!

2018 Races
    02/24/2018 - Psycho Wyco 20M - Kansas City, KS - 5:31:00 - (57/119 OA)
    04/14/2018 - Zumbro 50 Mile - Theilman, MN - DNF at 34.5 Miles
    05/19/2018 - Superior Spring 50K - Lutsen, MN - 6:51:06 (145/232 OA, 10/28 GMM)
    06/23/2018 - Dan Patch 5K Pace - Savage, MN 24:24:34 (27/105 OA, 5/13 M50-59)
    09/15/2018 - Outrun Homelessness 5K - Savage, MN - 26:47 (11/110 OA, 3/7 M50-59)
    09/22/2018 - Surly Loppet Trail HM (12.3 Miles) - 2:08:17 (256/492 OA, 26/43 M50-59)
    10/13/2018 - Big Woods Run Trail HM - Nerstrand, MN - 2:02:58 (65/238 OA, 13/33 M50-59) *PR*
    10/20/2018 - Loopet Loppet 12 Hr Trail Race - Minneapolis, MN
    11/03/2018 - Icebox 480 - 8 Hr trail race - River Falls, WI
    12/01/2018 - Alternate Chili 10M Run - Kansas City, KS w/ Kody!

2019 Races
    01/26/2019 - Securian Half Marathon - St. Paul, MN
    02/23/2019 - Psycho Wyco 50K - Kansas City, KS
    04/13/2019 - Zumbro 50M - Theilman, MN
    04/27/2019 - Tillamook Burn 50M - Tillamook Forest, OR

• PastorVincent
    Options
    @polskagirl01 I've only run one road marathon and three trail ultras, but in my limited experience, a 50K trail race is easier on your body than a road marathon.

Yes, I agree and others I have spoken with have the same the experience.
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options

Yes, I agree and others I have spoken with have the same the experience.

So freaking true.

Honestly I think trail races are way lower pressure too. In my experience. Maybe because the cutoffs are more generous? Or maybe just the energy is different. Not sure what it is, but I really like trail races a lot more than road races!

@7lenny7 Come to Vancouver, BC the following weekend and run the BMO Vancouver Half Marathon with me and @RunRachelleRun! You'll be so close already... bet if you came up too we could convince @JessicaMcB to come down as well haha...
  • polskagirl01
    edited October 2018
    Options

Yes, I would in fact. Where is this June 50k? If it fits my schedule I might just sign up for it. :)

http://www.laurelultra.com Starts in Ohiopyle and follows the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.

Edited to point out it's on a Saturday ;)
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

I think we are all slightly crazy in the head. That's why we are here 😜

8k run this morning. 85k for the month so far. Building this week to a 16k run on Saturday. I'm more nervous about the end of the month, a 20k run before a w week taper. It's getting real. Scary real. Why did I decide to do this? Oh yeah, read above bahaha.

I admit it's kinda nice having everyone at work look at me in awe when I say I ran 8k before work haha

Crazy, definitely, crazy, I want that T-shirt that says something like 'I run to burn the crazy'. Computer doesn't want to play today so had to make this image that summed recent convos up perfectly my profile!
    @Avidkeo you have a 20k run on your training plan? And am I right in thinking this is your first half? Now I feel lacking....mine only goes up to 16k :-p
    (Said tongue in cheek before anyone yells at me LOL)

• PastorVincent
    Options

http://www.laurelultra.com Starts in Ohiopyle and follows the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail.

Hmm 2 hours or so to drive there. Which is not too bad, but 2 hours to drive home might be. :lol: I will have to check my schedule later but I might make it.