October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless Good luck with your half tomorrow!
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless and @ContraryMaryMary good luck to you both for tomorrow! Anyone else have a Race this weekend?
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    @amymoreorless and @ContraryMaryMary good luck to you both for tomorrow! Anyone else have a Race this weekend?

Yep! @katharmonic and @workaholic_nurse Good luck, everyone!
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    @rheddmobile one thing some ultra runners do when they know they'll be dealing with wet feet for a long time is to slather their entire foot with vasoline.

@shanaber congrats to you and Hobbes!! Very cool!

Good luck to the racers tomorrow!

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the congrats on Hobbes! I am still pretty amazed! Unfortunately with his surgery he probably won't maintain it as he is missing out on all of the fall trials but hopefully he will be back in full form soon!

@AprilRN10 - Ouch that sounds painful! I'm sorry I don't have any experience with chafing. I have only had 1 chafing incident and that was with my HRM strap. I put moleskin on the strap where it was rubbing and fixed the problem. I hope you are able to found a good solution!

@katharmonic, @workaholic_nurse, @amymoreorless, @ContraryMaryMary and anyone else racing this weekend - have an awesome race and more than anything have fun!!

@7lenny7 - how did the surgery go? Will you be able to work from home while your foot is healing since you won't be able to drive (unless you learn to drive with the other foot :))?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,399 Member
    Options
    I made it to the gym for another 13 miles/50 minutes of cycling. Did 15 mins of warm up, squats and lunges with 20lb weight that someone conveniently left in the free workout room and followed up with some stretching. Hopefully I will sleep well tonight. I am tired and super sore from my weight training last night. Planning on a long walk tomorrow. Hobbes is getting antsy and I need to get out in the fresh air a bit - a long walk will do us both some good!
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless - OMG the "I Love You" Barney song! What memories..... the good ol' days...... lol
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    And baaaccckkk!

I broke out my hydration belt. I got it a few months ago but hated it. But to run 20k, regular hydration would be necessary. I put gatorade in one bottle and water in the other. Oh it turns out I had the belt the wrong way around the first time I used it (I didn't know haha). Much more comfortable the right way around. I don't hate it now. Its still annoying at the beginning when full but gets better as the run went on.

I was pretty good at keeping slow for the first 9ish k but wasn't really able to increase my speed a lot for the last half. Doesn't matter, I did it, 20k done. And I know I'll be able to do the half in 3 weeks because I definitely had enough to keep going today if I wanted to. And I know my pre race routine works. No issues of any kind. Now couching it, sore legs and feet haha.

Awesome! That will put your mind at ease for the the big day :-D
    Good luck to everyone racing this weekend.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @7lenny7 Glad to hear your surgery went well!
    @noblsheep Cool bling!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep Great report!

Downhill running is harder than uphill in many ways. The real secret is to just let yourself fall under control. You can go a lot faster than you think. Hold your arms up and take short strides. It takes practice but you can move pretty quickly and use very little energy. It is mostly concentration and ground awareness.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless My cousins 2 year old LOVES baby shark. There is also a monkey version he found when told no more baby shark.

@Orphia I did run for Dennis too but I don't remember if I posted. Starting from the 15th until recently I haven't kept up with the thread. If it's too late to be included I'm ok with that.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @noblsheep Well done!!!
    @7lenny7 Glad everything went well. You really rocked that hospital bootie!
    Good luck to all who are racing this weekend.
    7k easy today; no issues. Light rain, no breeze, and cool temperatures certainly helped. 138.5k for the month.