October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Grrr training snag. Tomorrow is 3 weeks from my HM. I have a 13k run planned for tomorrow, with 20k for next Sat. I think another 13k the following Sat with the HM the week after that.

Hubby just informed me he's signed up for a tournament next weekend that starts at 8am both sat and Sun, though he expects to be home by 6pm Sunday.

I'd planned to do next week's run like a dress rehearsal... Though not totally necessary because most training runs are but was going to get up and eat etc as I'm planning to.

So would you do your long run at 5pm next Sunday as scheduled? Do it this weekend, and do a couple of consecutive shorter runs next weekend? I hate when the plan needs to change last minute.

In case you haven't figured it out, I'm a planner bahaha
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo I’d do your big run this weekend, then taper - it’s what I did.
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    @Avidkeo I'm in no way qualified to offer suggestions on that, let's hope the experts wake up soon and provide some insight! I am the same, once I have a plan it's sacred and hate on anyone who ruins them!

Funny old run this morning. It was my last 6.5km one, which I'm happy about because I like whole, round numbers but also annoyed about because it means my monthly total will end in a .5, which irritates me. Having said that, I reached my goal this morning and with a 5k race on Sunday, a 7k training run on Tuesday and a 5k training run on Wednesday I will also pass my stretch goal. Cue life to throw a spanner in the works now lol.
    Anyway, I've been experimenting with runner's yoga and warm up and cool down stretches and the like this week in an attempt to combat my chronic lack of flexibility and very tight calves especially. Did a longish (15 minutes) warm up yoga video this morning then added on a few calf raises, high knees, stuff like that before heading out for my usual warm-up walk. No idea if it was related, but when I started running my legs felt really really loose. I was out of that 'gate' like a frisky, long-legged filly and went out WAAAAY too fast. What the heck? Had to remind myself I'm actually a short, 40-year-old perimenopausal woman with dodgy knees and shins and tell myself to calm down and slow down. Then I happened to look up at the sky, whoa look at those views! That distracted me for a couple of kilometres, though I had to give myself another talking to after stopping twice to take a photo and tell myself no more of that! Watched the sun come up out of the sea and pass through the clouds, lovely. Was almost a relief though when I reached the halfway mark and turned for home, no more not letting myself stop to take pictures. That was until kilometre five, when I looked up from watching the ducks on the river and saw the rainbow. Wow, thanks nature for all these gifts today. Had a kind of yogui, almost spiritual moment of feeling grateful to be able to run and also to enjoy these views. Think I could be having some kind of a nervous breakdown or something, I'm the practical no-nonsense person who believes in pretty much nothing and generally scoffs at anything like that. As I considered this, and also the fact that I had a kilometre left to run and this was starting to feel a little more like hard work, my phone saved the day by randomly playing Sucker for Pain at me. That was just such perfect timing I laughed out loud, causing everyone on the path to stop and look at the crazy woman running and laughing her head off.

Wow, sorry about that! I seem to have mental and verbal diarrhea today :-D

Love it! And I definitely noticed a difference with some gently loosening exercises.

It will be interesting to see what the experts say. I can imagine @PastorVincent, Mr do what I say not as I do. Cause he'd do the 20k both weekends
  • Avidkeo
    Options

Thanks, I'm leaning that way. Eep that moves things up a bit! You ready for Sunday?
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

This seems like the less stressful option. I'd probably do this, too.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »

Love it! And I definitely noticed a difference with some gently loosening exercises.

It will be interesting to see what the experts say. I can imagine @PastorVincent, Mr do what I say not as I do. Cause he'd do the 20k both weekends

I do a hell of a lot of stretching sessions (almost every afternoon), pilates, foam rolling..... still have really tight calves. I'm thinking I should probably go see a physio and get them properly massaged or something (my sadistic daughter loves taking her knuckles to them and making me squeal but probably not quite the same) but am a bit scared of coming out worse than I went in. My husband had a massage at the hotel spa on our honeymoon (so we're talking practically last century, I expect things have changed since then!) and it exacerbated an old calf injury to the point he was limping for a fortnight afterwards, so I'm a little wary to say the least!

Can't wait to see what @PastorVincent has to say, but yes he'd probably do the 20k both DAYS both weekends in a string vest in freezing temperatures barefoot and chase them up with icecream but tell you to do it now then taper :-D

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

Can't wait to see what @PastorVincent has to say, but yes he'd probably do the 20k both DAYS both weekends in a string vest in freezing temperatures barefoot and chase them up with icecream but tell you to do it now then taper :-D
    Bahahaha, that about sums up this wonderful group :smiley:
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

Do I want to know what a string vest is? Probably not! :lol::lol:

Y'all are nuts.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @hesn92 - the answer to that problem is get new ear buds - preferably wireless :) then there is no adapter issue!

That’s what I did actually lol! Walmart DOES NOT SELL ear bud adapters, and they don’t sell ear buds that will plug into my phone at all! This is very upsetting to me. Now I’m really annoyed with apple. I got wireless earbuds. They seem a little too high tech for me but I guess they will do.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options

Y'all are nuts.

Oops, I didn't think anyone would notice :-D
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »
    @hesn92 - the answer to that problem is get new ear buds - preferably wireless :) then there is no adapter issue!

That’s what I did actually lol! Walmart DOES NOT SELL ear bud adapters, and they don’t sell ear buds that will plug into my phone at all! This is very upsetting to me. Now I’m really annoyed with apple. I got wireless earbuds. They seem a little too high tech for me but I guess they will do.

The headphone jack is a major thorn in the side for many iPhone owners. I have been using wireless for years so did not affect me, but you can order the adapter on Amazon, or from Apple Directly. It is overpriced of course. All things Apple are. :D

• BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options

Do I want to know what a string vest is? Probably not! :lol::lol:

Y'all are nuts.

Just Google "Rab C Nesbitt". (Warning. It's not a pretty sight.)
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    hesn92 wrote: »

The headphone jack is a major thorn in the side for many iPhone owners. I have been using wireless for years so did not affect me, but you can order the adapter on Amazon, or from Apple Directly. It is overpriced of course. All things Apple are. :D

My Pixel came with a headphone adapter. No extra charge. Just sayin'.