October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    @Avidkeo heck woman, if you can't eat all the food a month out from an HM when can you? Ok, maybe not ALL the food, but I would say you're putting your body through enough 'punishment' as it is and it deserves adequate fuel and nourishment to repair itself and recover. There will be plenty of time to go back into a deficit afterwards. I have a guilty secret.... when I look at my training plan and see those looooong runs next month, my brain automatically translates those distances into portions of pizza.

So what would the correct term be if you ran a badly measured or longer than expected race in the rain in pain?

For the last sentence, a PastorAvidElise? has a good ring to it.

I have yet to translate calories from running into food, but mine would be chocolate rather than pizza, but both are excellent options!
  • Avidkeo
    Options
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    Question regarding nutrition. I've been doing a calorie deficit for the last (forever) few months to get back on track, and I'm within a kg of my lowest weight (almost 23kg/48lb lost since Jan 2017). But I'm thinking with the amount of ks I'm now doing, and my focus for the next 4 weeks is HM prep, I've been doing a bit of reading. The idea around deficit seems to be mixed, some saying a small deficit is ok, some saying eat maintenance. What are ya'alls thoughts (is that the right usage lol). My ultimate aim for my weight is to lose another 4kg (around 8lb) but my not stressed about it, I'd rather run a good HM

@Avidkeo it depends on which goal is more important. For me, I want to go into a big race feeling my best and that means eating at maintenance for 2 or 3 week prior to the race. If it's a race that's not a big deal to me I'll stay at a deficit until a few days before the race.

After the race, either way, stay at maintenance for several days while you recover. Then go back to a deficit.

Great job getting nearly back to your lowest! After a summer of gluttony I'm trying to get back on track myself and unfortunately have 13 pounds to go to reach my lowest, and 16 to go for my goal, but I'm rededicating myself to the effort as of yesterday.

Yeah, as always the answer "it depends" is always the right one. :lol:

There are those that say being lighter on race day means you will run faster. There is this whole concept of "ideal race weight" which, if you are dieting, I am going to guess you are over. Given that some would tell you to eat at a loss so that you can have a good weight at the start. *shrugs*, in this case, do whatever feels right to you. :)

Lol I very much doubt the 1kg (2lb) I would lose in the next month will make that much of a difference to my race day pace. That said, i was reading about carb loading and the writer kept referring to an average runner of 150lb. I had to google what my current weight is in pounds, and its 149lb!!!!! whooo hooo lol. Does that make me an average runner then, even though I'm short (5'3")?

Yeah this race means a lot to me, I've been building toward it for a whole year, it is my year goal and the culmination of slow and steady build up, following an actual training plan and goofing off with you guys, so race beats weight loss. Besides, I'm so close to ideal weight I almost don't care, happy to lose it if/when it comes off. This weight feels pretty good. So Race first!

extending the topic, who carb loads before a half? worth it or not really? I'm thinking of doing it 2 days before the 20k run in 2 weeks, see how that goes, and then tweak for the half. or waste of time?
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Question regarding nutrition. I've been doing a calorie deficit for the last (forever) few months to get back on track, and I'm within a kg of my lowest weight (almost 23kg/48lb lost since Jan 2017). But I'm thinking with the amount of ks I'm now doing, and my focus for the next 4 weeks is HM prep, I've been doing a bit of reading. The idea around deficit seems to be mixed, some saying a small deficit is ok, some saying eat maintenance. What are ya'alls thoughts (is that the right usage lol). My ultimate aim for my weight is to lose another 4kg (around 8lb) but my not stressed about it, I'd rather run a good HM

@Avidkeo You only get one chance to run this race (this year anyway). You have the rest of forever to shed that last little bit of weight. :)

Congrats on the huge 48 pound loss!!!! I am also 150 pounds and 5’3”. I would not use “average” to describe me. ;)

I eat a regular diet before races. My stomach is weird when i run.
  • Avidkeo
    Options

@Avidkeo You only get one chance to run this race (this year anyway). You have the rest of forever to shed that last little bit of weight. :)

Congrats on the huge 48 pound loss!!!!

Thanks! I'm more proud that I kept it off for a year! Sadly studies show that only 5% of people who lose a large amount of weight keep it off for longer than 3 years, I am absolutely determined to be one of the 5%.

And yep this is the one chance, best do it right!
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

Thanks! I'm more proud that I kept it off for a year! Sadly studies show that only 5% of people who lose a large amount of weight keep it off for longer than 3 years, I am absolutely determined to be one of the 5%.

It can be done. That study cited keeping off 10% of the starting body weight, which raises a few issues of when you consider having started. My all time high weight was 221 lbs., but I started being serious about losing weight (i.e., admitted I needed to track my food) at 196.6 lbs. I set what I thought was a stretch goal, to get down to 175 lbs.

7 years and 9 days ago, I broke through that goal and weighed 174. I have not weighed that much since, and I've spent most of the last 7 years between 160 and 165. It can be done. Running helps; but you can't out-run your fork.

I can't speak to weight loss while in marathon training, as I was in maintenance mode 2 years before I ran my first half and 3 years before I ran my first marathon.
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    @Avidkeo idk about others but as I have been eating at a deficit the entire time I have been running, I don't think it will change on race day or the week before. As for carb loading, I tend to do the minimum either pizza or lasagna the night before a race, depending on start time I may have breakfast or may not. I usually run in a fasted state then get ready for work and eat breakfast. That is what works for me but as @PastorVincent would say, "YMMV". :D
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options

@Avidkeo it depends on which goal is more important. For me, I want to go into a big race feeling my best and that means eating at maintenance for 2 or 3 week prior to the race. If it's a race that's not a big deal to me I'll stay at a deficit until a few days before the race.

After the race, either way, stay at maintenance for several days while you recover. Then go back to a deficit.

Great job getting nearly back to your lowest! After a summer of gluttony I'm trying to get back on track myself and unfortunately have 13 pounds to go to reach my lowest, and 16 to go for my goal, but I'm rededicating myself to the effort as of yesterday.

Yeah, as always the answer "it depends" is always the right one. :lol:

There are those that say being lighter on race day means you will run faster. There is this whole concept of "ideal race weight" which, if you are dieting, I am going to guess you are over. Given that some would tell you to eat at a loss so that you can have a good weight at the start. *shrugs*, in this case, do whatever feels right to you. :)

Lol I very much doubt the 1kg (2lb) I would lose in the next month will make that much of a difference to my race day pace. That said, i was reading about carb loading and the writer kept referring to an average runner of 150lb. I had to google what my current weight is in pounds, and its 149lb!!!!! whooo hooo lol. Does that make me an average runner then, even though I'm short (5'3")?

Yeah this race means a lot to me, I've been building toward it for a whole year, it is my year goal and the culmination of slow and steady build up, following an actual training plan and goofing off with you guys, so race beats weight loss. Besides, I'm so close to ideal weight I almost don't care, happy to lose it if/when it comes off. This weight feels pretty good. So Race first!

extending the topic, who carb loads before a half? worth it or not really? I'm thinking of doing it 2 days before the 20k run in 2 weeks, see how that goes, and then tweak for the half. or waste of time?

I do not carb load before a full never mind a half :) I just eat that week like I always do. BUT I am not an elite master runner like @MobyCarp so maybe that is a bad plan. Eh. Dunno. Works for me. :)
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    This is not my photo, but from someone I know. This is the mud on the course during my race last weekend, where folks were going around it as I splashed through it. Now doesn't that looks like a whole lotta fun!?!
    gqeapfghuq86.jpg

Pending traffic I might have gone around that too. I could run faster on the sidelines. Given the traffic in the photo, I might have yelled 'YOLO!' and sprinted through the center! :lol:
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options

I can't cite studies or papers off hand to support it, but I've given up on the idea of carbo-loading for any race.

First, carbs hold water so loading up on carbs before a race will increase your weight a few pounds, if you do it the traditional way. Each gram of carbs will hold on to 3 to 4 grams of water.
    Second, what's the sudden increase in carbs going to do to your system? I guess you could practice a carb load with one of your long runs before hand to find out.
    Third, a half isn't long enough for carb loading. If you think you need fuel, have a gel just before the race (with water to wash it down) and every 30 minutes during the race (with water), quitting about 30 minutes before you're done because anything after that won't be processed quick enough to be of any use.

If you feel like you need to carb load, choose quality whole grain carbs, not junk food. For my marathon I made the mistake of carb loading on cereal, cookies, pasta, white rice and other refined or sugary carbs and felt like crap. I also gained a few pounds of water weight. I won't be doing that again. I may "top off" my glycogen stores with some good carbs the day before but nothing beyond that.

• AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options

I have lost 50 pounds... twice now, and 30 pounds this last go around, so I am not in that 5% I guess. But this time I will be! Right? Please?

@PastorVincent You are not the only one. I am currently trying to shed the 20 pounds I regained (again) this year. I would like (and will) to get back down to 130 pounds before the Miami marathon in January. If only I could continually train for a marathon and not break my 40++ year old self..... Dieting is HARD. Running is easy. :/

I just keep reminding myself that I am still a long way from where I started. As a vertically challenged person, my weight in the 190s was a huge heath issue.
  • Avidkeo
    Options

I can't cite studies or papers off hand to support it, but I've given up on the idea of carbo-loading for any race.

First, carbs hold water so loading up on carbs before a race will increase your weight a few pounds, if you do it the traditional way. Each gram of carbs will hold on to 3 to 4 grams of water.
    Second, what's the sudden increase in carbs going to do to your system? I guess you could practice a carb load with one of your long runs before hand to find out.
    Third, a half isn't long enough for carb loading. If you think you need fuel, have a gel just before the race (with water to wash it down) and every 30 minutes during the race (with water), quitting about 30 minutes before you're done because anything after that won't be processed quick enough to be of any use.

If you feel like you need to carb load, choose quality whole grain carbs, not junk food. For my marathon I made the mistake of carb loading on cereal, cookies, pasta, white rice and other refined or sugary carbs and felt like crap. I also gained a few pounds of water weight. I won't be doing that again. I may "top off" my glycogen stores with some good carbs the day before but nothing beyond that.

Oh whew. Just the answer I wanted lol.
  • Avidkeo
    Options

I have lost 50 pounds... twice now, and 30 pounds this last go around, so I am not in that 5% I guess. But this time I will be! Right? Please?

LOL numbers suck