October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I thought this was cool and quickly took a photo.

This guy passed me at the 10 km mark of the marathon.

07o0agbxxkds.jpeg

God forbid anything happens where I lose a leg (come close more than once) I hope I can have his stubbornness and determination to carry on.
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    Orphia wrote: »
    I thought this was cool and quickly took a photo.

This guy passed me at the 10 km mark of the marathon.

07o0agbxxkds.jpeg

I've got something in my eyes. :cry:

10/1 - Transform App- Upper body
    10/2 - 4 miles + TA W3 Legs
    10/3 - 4.5 miles + TA W4 Upper Body
    10/4 - TA W4 Legs
    10/5 - 4.5 miles + TA W4 Upper
    10/6 - 4 miles in Tampa
    10/7 - rest day
    10/8 - 4 miles + Transform - Arms/Back
    10/9 - Transform App - Legs/Glutes
    10/10 - 3 miles
    10/11 - Transform App - Back/Arms
    10/12 - tried to run but glute pain, walked 2 miles
    10/13 - 4 miles + transform upper body
    10/14 - 4 miles!
    10/15 - Transform App - chest, arms
    10/16 - 4.5 miles + transform app - legs - after a week of no leg workout, I took this one easy!
    10/17 - 4 miles + tbd

exercise.png

• workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    No run today for me, lifted heavy things for my lower body and core. Rest day tomorrow and long slow run on Saturday. Have a great day everyone.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    October goal: 95 miles

10/2: 5.5 miles
    10/3: 5 miles
    10/4: 5 miles
    10/6: 3.1miles Old Rip 5K - PR and 2nd place AG
    10/8: 5.2 miles
    10/10: 5 miles
    10/11: 5.2 miles
    10/14: 9 miles
    10/15: 3.5 miles
    10/17: 5 miles

51.2/95 miles completed

I got to run 5 miles this morning! When I got up this morning there was a break in the rain so I took it. It may be my only chance to run until Saturday. I figured I would just start running and if it started raining I would head back. It was 50F with a feels like of 47F which really wasn't too bad. It was warmer than yesterday and Monday. I wore capris and a t-shirt with a jacket and gloves. I ended up taking the jacket off about 3.5 miles in. I need to look for some sleeves because I really think that might be just the thing I need for days like this. If it had been daylight and the sun had been shining it would have been perfect. I enjoyed the run quite a bit. It never did rain on me. I saw a few drops between 1.5 - 2 miles and I thought it was going to start raining, but it never did. It is raining now and supposed to rain all day long. This is my least favorite type of weather. I just hate when the skies are gray all day long. I need to see the sun. But I know we need rain and we are in an area that is usually in a drought so I try not to complain about it too much. And we are north of the serious flooding that has been happening in Texas so that is good. I know a lot here seem to love running in the rain. I haven't had many opportunities to run in it. I don't really mind summer rain, but cold rain is not my friend. I was really glad to get a chance to run today. The cloudy weather isn't good for my mood and not getting to run makes it doubly depressing.

exercise.png

2018 races:
    5/19/18: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - 2:43:59.7. - 2nd place AG
    10/6/18: Old Rip 5K Run - PR 29:43.5, 2nd place AG
    11/10/18: Wags & Whiskers 5K
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Nice 'easy' run with my bro. Easy in terms of pace, but forgot about these hills in Georgia. They are like mountains compared to running at home. But it's all good!

just realized my mispost a couple of days ago, thought it was @garygse headed to GA, not you sir.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    No run... but tomorrow is another day!
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    garygse wrote: »
    Ran 15 miles at MP this morning...the temps were in the low 50s with a little rain at first, but the rain then stopped and held off for the rest of the run. Average pace for the entire run, including warm-up, was 7:30, so I pretty much hit the mark.

Yesterday was a tough session getting tested (@Elise4270 it was at Platri in The Colony, so not the place where you went). After a warm-up run of 10 minutes, the first test was the VO2Max test. The face mask was weird at first, my breathing sounded like Darth Vader, and when I tried to talk, I sounded like Kenny from South Park. We started by getting my HR to 130...they wanted it within 1 bpm as much as possible, and then from there we slowly increased the workout so that my HR went up in increments of 5 bpm, up to either 185 or 190 (I forget which...by that point I know I was running a 5:00 pace). Trying to keep your HR within 1 bpm of target, especially at the higher end of the test, is actually quite a challenge in and of itself.

Then after a cool down, the mask came off (ahh, I can breathe again) and it was time to do the Lactate Threshold test. She took a blood lactate reading, and had me maintain 145 bpm for 5 minutes before taking another blood lactate reading. This continued in increments of 5 (up to 175 bpm), with each target being held for 5 minutes before a blood lactate reading was taken. By the end, my finger felt like a pin cushion...but that's ok, at least I wasn't wearing that darned mask (the bridge of my nose is bruised because of that thing!).

So now I have to wait for the analysis to be performed, which she said could take a couple of days, but she did have my VO2Max result: 64.

She also asked me if I'd ever been coached at any time; when I said no, she was surprised and said my running form was actually excellent. I have to credit @Stoshew71 there for his pieces of advice (string from top of head, and headlamps on the hips and nipples) as that really helped me focus on establishing good form and technique when I initially started out running. :smile:

01 - 15.63
    02 - 14.43
    03 - 10.21
    04 - 12.19
    05 - 22.04
    08 - 15.63
    09 - 12.64
    10 - 12.19
    11 - 13.53
    12 - 26.40
    13 - 6.97
    16 - 5.91
    17 - 15.60

Total: 172.18 / 250 miles

@garygse When I read your VO2 Max was 64 I said the F word out loud. :smiley: Wow.
  • garygse
    garygse Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    @Orphia Yeah, I had to ask her to repeat herself because obviously I had misheard her. :blush:
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    6 miles treadmill Tues. night.

I'll be back home again on Sun. and will update the rest of the week then.

exercise.png