October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    @7lenny7 I’d either be one of the ones skulking in the Woods tonthe side, or I’d be barrelling through that left hand wheel track.

Having said that, there’s no knowing how deep that is or what the substrate is. Last time I barrelled through something it came up to mid-calf. But there was a stream half a mile on.

I did a race last year where the muddiest bit was at a gate entrance. Trouble was, this was usually a field full of horses and/or cows. It wasn’t just mud....
  • workaholic_nurse
    workaholic_nurse Posts: 727 Member
    edited October 2018
    AprilRN10 wrote: »

As for today's run, I fell and have a nasty elbow as a trophy. I took a pic, but didn't think most of you here would care to see it!

Can't compete with the osteomyelitic foot with purulent drainage from the non-compliant diabetic I sent out to the hospital with sepsis last night. :D
    ETA: he was a recent recipient of yet another foot revision, I think that was number 5 between the two.
  • biketheworld
    biketheworld Posts: 2,328 Member
    @juliet3455 - fantastic advice! I copied & pasted into a Word document so I don't lose it. Thanks.

@AprilRN10 - very impressive weight loss - you go girl.
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    AprilRN10 wrote: »
    I've been super busy guys, but I did pick up on a few things here!

Re: HM training/training in general

I tried C25K when I was starting and couldn't do it because it progressed too quickly for me. I switched to a John Bingham plan then. It got me to a 5k. Then I switched to Hal Higdon to get faster. Then did his 10k plan several times, and now the HM intermediate plan. I follow the plans pretty closely, but I don't taper as much as they say to.

Re: deficit while running/eating while running

I have been in a deficit the entire time I've been a runner. I've lost about 115 pounds. I feel fine so I keep doing what I do. I don't carb load or change my eating in any way prior to a race.

As for today's run, I fell and have a nasty elbow as a trophy. I took a pic, but didn't think most of you here would care to see it!

Thanks for all that. Basically its a You Do You situation. love it, best way to be. I admit Ive attempted both the C25K and a bridge to 10k and never completed any of them. this plan I'm currently doing, I love because its working for me, slowly building up etc. will see when I complete the half.

Oh ouch elbows are never nice to injure. I would love to see pics, but I work in a hospital and am a complete trauma junkie lol
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    HonuNui wrote: »
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    @garygse, @kgirlhart, @amymoreorless - I have been thinking about you and any others in Texas with all the rain and flooding there!

For September we had 13.56 inches, last 14 days we've had 9. And yes, its supposed to rain again today.

Just to compare, last year we had 1.28 inches in September and 2.13 in October.

Just getting you ready for January in Hilo!!

Good that i dont mind the rain then!!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    My Captain Marvel shirt from iGlow arrived yesterday so I wore it out today, but unfortunately it chafes under one arm. I’m trying to decide if I want to contact the seller to try and do something about it, but I’m kind of exhausted with everything right now so I’m going to sit on it for a few days. I’d really wanted to wear it to the half this weekend, but that’s why you don’t wear new things on race day.

You can use Body Glide to stop that. Just cover the place liberally with Body Glide before your run and it will not chaff. You can use a stick deodorant in a pinch I am told, but I have not tested that myself. You should be able to find Body Glide at your local running stores, if not Amazon carries it:

Body Glide On Amazon

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    This morning I signed up for my first destination race. The Tillamook Burn 50 Mile in the Pacific NW rainforest about an hour northwest of Portland, OR. You can scroll through some amazing photos here.

I was trying to decide between the 50K and the 50M. The 50K has 7000' of vertical (ascent & descent) whereas the 50M has 8700', the difference being 1700' over 19 miles, which is fairly flat, so for the extra runable miles, why not! I am so dang excited about this! My sister and her husband live just outside of Portland so we'll stay with them and maybe I'll even talk them into crewing for me.

The race is the end of April which, incidentally, is just 2 weeks after the Zumbro 50, the race I DNF'd earlier this year.

@7lenny7 That sounds amazing. Love destination races.

Your photos from your last run were so beautiful. The yellows!!! :heart:
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    edited October 2018
    Orphia wrote: »
    I eat 50% carbs anyway, and for Sunday's marathon I couldn't "load" any more than that, and I had enough energy.

The important part is to load in the morning a couple of hours before your run, because your liver glycogen (energy for running) gets mostly used up during sleep.

@7lenny7 gave good info about how you need to intake carbs before and during a HM, and how you can never replace as much energy as you'll need but you'll feel less crap instead of hitting the wall hard.

If you eat good carbs a couple of hours beforehand, you can top up your glycogen fully. Leaving it later means you can't process it in time before you start burning it again.

Thanks @Orphia that makes sense. i think Ill follow that advice the most. I'm not doing it to compete anyway, just to complete. How did your Dr's appt go, if I can ask? ETA ah we cross posted! Good news. I dont know about late in life, I got diagnosed at 34... though I can see her point about the conditions. Mine does usually kick in within about 5-10 minutes. Hopefully its a one off
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    10/1 - rest day, short walk + PT exercises
    10/2 - 4.22 km run/walk intervals
    10/3 to 10/6 - rest
    10/7 - 5.72 km
    10/8 to 10/13 - more rest
    10/14 - 3.37 km run/walk intervals
    10/15 - rest
    10/16 - 3.01 km run/walk intervals

16.32/?? km

I guess I'm still trying to figure out my limits. 3km today and I think it was just a hair too much. I have some good data from tonight's run that I can use to figure out distance on Thursday as my pace dropped noticeably.

2018 Races: (italics means not registered yet, only pondering)
    1/1/18 Resolution Run 5K ~38:00 (no official times)
    3/4/18 MEC Road Race #1 10K 1:30:57
    3/17/28 St Patrick's Day race 10K 1:24:53
    4/7/18 Jasper Half Marathon 3:05:55
    4/22/18 MEC Trail Race #1 5Kish 1:00:00? (Or 48:45...)
    5/20/18 MEC Trail Race #2 10Kish 1:56:15
    6/24/18 MEC Trail Race #3 10Kish 2:03:15
    7/1/18 Canada Day 15K 2:03:04
    7/28/18 Idaho Peak 10K Trail Race 1:30:16
    8/18/18 Edmonton Marathon (Half Marathon) 3:12:something
    8/25/18 MEC Trail Race #4 4Kish 39:49
    10/7/18 MEC Trail Race #5 5Kish 1:02:11
    12/1/18 Santa Shuffle

2019:
    1/1/19 Resolution Run
    5/5/19 BMO Vancouver Marathon (Half)
    8/17/19 Edmonton Marathon