October 2018 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    The dogs and I did a very rainy W4D3 this morning. Faster pace than ever and it felt great. They didn't seem to enjoy the rain much, and made me laugh a few times as they avoided puddles and looked at me pathetically. By the end, I was splashing through the puddles since my feet were already soaked. It was magnificent!

my collie avoids the puddles, my lab mix wades right thru :wink:
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @shanaber that is so awesome about Hobbes. He is #1 in our book!
    @katharmonic wishing you the very best on your marathon! I am running vicariously through you on your first marathon. Good luck!
    @workaholic_nurse those are some really good pictures.
  • joannedrummond5
    joannedrummond5 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    October 1 - Holidays
    October 2 - Holidays
    October 3 - Holidays
    October 4 - Holidays
    October 5 - Holidays
    October 6 - Holidays
    October 7 - Holidays
    October 8 - 5 km run in Destin, Florida
    October 9 - Traveling home
    October 10 - Traveling home
    October 15 - 14 km run
    October 16 - 14 km run
    October 17 - 14 km run
    October 18 - 10 km run
    October 19 - 10 km run
    October 20 - 10 km run
    October 21 - 5 km club run
    October 22 - 8 km run
    October 23 - rest day
    October 24 - 14 km run
    October 25 - 16 km run
    October 26 - 16 km run
    October 27 - 18 km run

Total distance run 154 km - goal 140 km.
  • MobyCarp
    MobyCarp Posts: 2,927 Member
    Options
    @shanaber Top 10 agility, wow! Somehow that makes me think of a cross country race I ran where there were 3 sets of course markings: Those for my race, markings for a high school XC race, and markings for a dog agility contest that would be held after my race.

Part of the pre-race sound track from the organizers was, "Don't follow the yellow arrows, unless you are a dog."
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    10/1 = 3 miles
    10/2 = vacation
    10/3 = 5 miles hiking on vacation
    10/4 = vacation
    10/5 = 3 miles
    10/6 = 10 miles
    10/7 = 11 miles
    10/8 = rest day
    10/9 = 12 miles
    10/10 = 6 miles
    10/11 = 4 miles
    10/12 = 17 miles
    10/13 = rest day
    10/14 = 8 miles
    10/15 = ⛈ :(
    10/16 = more thunderstorms AM / 4 neighborhood miles after work
    10/17 = 5 miles
    10/18 = rain, work, rain, work
    10/19 = 17 very soggy miles
    10/20 = a NINE HOUR Saturday work meeting (it was as terrible as it sounds)
    10/21 = 14 miles
    10/22 = 10 miles
    10/23 = work, work, work
    10/24 = yoga flow class
    10/25 = 3 miles
    10/26 = 10 miles

I have a half marathon tomorrow so I probably should not have run 10 miles. But... it was 50 degrees (F) and sunny. How could I pass that up! That is perfect running weather! Now that the rain has finally stopped it is predicted to get warm again. Ewww...

I am actually okay with it getting hotter as long as the rain stops. We are STILL on a boil water notice from the flooding. The city thinks it might be lifted on Sunday (fingers crossed).
    garygse wrote: »
    @Tramboman Music stuck in head? Yeah, it happens...sometimes not so bad, other times just downright annoying (depending on the tune). Worst one EVER was being accompanied by the theme tune to Caillou for the majority of a 20-miler

Ha! You must have a little one at home @garygse . At least its not the "I Love You" Barney song. That's what my daughter was into when she was young. Oh, and it could always be worse than that. Show your little one this and prepare for hours of endless "entertainment".... (on repeat ... muhhha!!!)

@katharmonic Good luck on your marathon!

October goal miles = 120 / 142 miles-to-date

Upcoming Races:
    10/27 = Hill Country Halloween Half Marathon
    11/11 = Hill County Trivium (just doing the half)
    11/22 = Georgetown Turkey Trot
    1/26/19 = Miami Tropical 5K
    1/27/19 = Miami Marathon
    3/10/19 = ZOOMA half (potentially)
    5/4/18 = Wisconsin Marathon (mittens challenge part 1)
    5/5/18 = Kalamazoo Marathon (mittens challenge part 2)
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @MobyCarp Thanks for the insight.
    I sometimes need to rein in my obsessive compulsiveness with a little bit of common sense. I tend to follow the plan generally, modifying it a little based on how I'm feeling.
    Tomorrow I'm planning 7k easy, with 10k slow on Sunday and a Monday rest day. We'll see how it goes.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Avidkeo wrote: »
    And baaaccckkk!

I broke out my hydration belt. I got it a few months ago but hated it. But to run 20k, regular hydration would be necessary. I put gatorade in one bottle and water in the other. Oh it turns out I had the belt the wrong way around the first time I used it (I didn't know haha). Much more comfortable the right way around. I don't hate it now. Its still annoying at the beginning when full but gets better as the run went on.

I was pretty good at keeping slow for the first 9ish k but wasn't really able to increase my speed a lot for the last half. Doesn't matter, I did it, 20k done. And I know I'll be able to do the half in 3 weeks because I definitely had enough to keep going today if I wanted to. And I know my pre race routine works. No issues of any kind. Now couching it, sore legs and feet haha.

Yay! You got this!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I currently have three active pairs of running shoes and 7 new ones in the closet, so already do have issues with finding a place a to keep them!

I was scheduled for 8 miles today, but took a rest day. TMI warning.......I currently have too much chaffing on the underside of my girls. Bodyglide no longer works. Yesterday I put nonstick bandages in the underside of my bra and it helped some. But later in the day when I took my bra off, the areas had stuck and began bleeding when I took the bra off. So today is forced rest to allow them to heal a little. I am frustrated by this. I have tried different bras. Bodyglide did work for a while, but it doesn't any more. Ideas, anyone?

October Goal: 100 miles
    10/1: planned rest day
    10/2: 4.5 miles
    10/3: 9 miles
    10/4: 5.5 miles
    10/5: 7 miles
    10/6: cross train ditched for rest
    10/7: 3 miles
    10/8: planned rest
    10/9: rest until cleared by NP
    10/10: 10 miles
    10/11: 7 miles
    10/12: 5 miles
    10/13: 4.5 miles
    10/14: impromptu rest (was scheduled tomorrow)
    10/15: 4.5 miles (yesterday's)
    10/16: 8 miles
    10/17: leg day with the hubs instead of a run (couple's time)
    10/18: 6 miles
    10/19: 5 miles
    10/20: 2.5 miles (was supposed to be 5, but severely underdressed for the wind)
    10/21: impromptu rest (no sleep-went to pumpkin patch)
    10/22: planned rest
    10/23: 11 miles
    10/24: 8 miles
    10/25: 5 miles
    10/26: impromptu rest (chaffing issue)
    Total: 105.5

UPCOMING RACES
    November - 5 mile Bare Bones Turkey Trot (22nd)
    December -

COMPLETED RACES
    January - Frosty 5k
    February - Run for the Chocolate 5k
    March - Penguin in the Park 5k
    April - Lake Sara Dam 5k
    May - Run Through the Jungle 5k
    June - French Fried 5k
    July - Firecracker 5k
    August - Happy Birthday to Me virtual 10k
    September 7th - 5k Glow Run
    October - Illinois Homecoming 5k
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 Any chance you might have a fungal infection? It's easy to get one in moist broken skin, and they can look just like normal chafing. If so, prescription powder might help.

Sounds like you've already tried more or less what I would recommend, strapping em down good and something on the area - I just use stick antiperspirant.
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @AprilRN10 Sorry to hear about the bra trouble. I've notice lately I have a bit of chaffing from bras that I'd never had problems with. Even on short drier runs.

In my case, I'd suspect I've moved weight/not lost it as its somewhere on me still. Maybe lost some fat in the brazier area allowing more room and too much movement. Or my bras need replaced. I've heard (read) that fit is the key to unchaffed delicates.

I looked forward to the days my bras weren't so tight in the armpits and a little less constricting, but maybe that's just they way I need them to be.

Good luck. Share your findings!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    @amymoreorless GOOD LUCK TOMORROW! May the wind be at your back and the path easy!